Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Evening all.

For those not on the Covid threads my health has taken a downturn in the last few days and I did the 111 online thing this morning. Doc reckoned I'd got over Covid only to get a bacterial chest infection but I need to confirm with GP and possibly x-ray tomorrow. Good news is that if 111 were right then I'm only a set of anti biotics away from running, I survived the 'rona and I have all summer to just run in the sun as I feel and lose the stone I've put on in a month. If they are wrong I will be out indefinitely :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Evening all.

For those not on the Covid threads my health has taken a downturn in the last few days and I did the 111 online thing this morning. Doc reckoned I'd got over Covid only to get a bacterial chest infection but I need to confirm with GP and possibly x-ray tomorrow. Good news is that if 111 were right then I'm only a set of anti biotics away from running, I survived the 'rona and I have all summer to just run in the sun as I feel and lose the stone I've put on in a month. If they are wrong I will be out indefinitely :(

Take it easy fella........don’t do too much too soon when you’re back out there......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just found out Barns Green have taken the early decision to cancel this years race. A real shame but understandable.

I’d imagine it’s 99% certain there will be no Brighton Marathon this year. I can’t see an event which now has a 10k, marathon and bike ride with tens of thousands in attendance going ahead.

I’d settle for just a few small events going ahead this year and hopefully normal service is resumed next year.

I loved that race. I've messaged Brian to let him know, it was his only race this year except for Brighton Half. Right decision though and I expect all the big and medium races to go, I can't even see parkrun coming back until after Xmas.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Take it easy fella........don’t do too much too soon when you’re back out there......

Cheers matey. Jan's all over it already. In some ways it's nice to know there is a good chance of light at the end of the tunnel and I've been scoping out runs on less popular routes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few more folk showing an interest now. A nasty little 3 x .6km up a sharp hill today for me - and came across none other than [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] (and delightful dog).

Great to meet you too! Apologies if I seemed a bit vague - I'd only just left the house and was suffering the effects of another late night with too much booze!

I'll give the mile a go when I get a chance. As mentioned, I did a three-mile progressive run (+ 1 mile jog) yesterday and did 8'01" - 7'12" - 6'35", so I'd guess I could be close-ish to 6 minutes for a one-off mile in the right conditions. I think I'd need to take a very easy jog down to the seafront - which is about 3 miles and then run a straight mile along the flat front.

Really enjoyed my run today - went out to do 8 miles with the first two at 7'50", the next two at 7'40", the third two at 7'30" and then the final two, which are uphill, at 7'20". Managed to get splits of 7'47", 7'43", 7'36", 7'42", 7'35", 7'26", 7'22 and 6'58" - felt really good to properly give my legs a stretch out after a few very easy days to help them recharge.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Evening all.

Yikes, but glad things seem to be in hand. Fingers crossed for a swift resolution.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Evening all.

Hopefully good news - as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] says do take it easy on the way back -( it’s even taken Boris 3 weeks).
Take care - plenty of time to get running again and obvs if by any chance any of us can do anything to help just shout.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great to meet you too! Apologies if I seemed a bit vague - I'd only just left the house and was suffering the effects of another late night with too much booze!

I'll give the mile a go when I get a chance. As mentioned, I did a three-mile progressive run (+ 1 mile jog) yesterday and did 8'01" - 7'12" - 6'35", so I'd guess I could be close-ish to 6 minutes for a one-off mile in the right conditions. I think I'd need to take a very easy jog down to the seafront - which is about 3 miles and then run a straight mile along the flat front.

Really enjoyed my run today - went out to do 8 miles with the first two at 7'50", the next two at 7'40", the third two at 7'30" and then the final two, which are uphill, at 7'20". Managed to get splits of 7'47", 7'43", 7'36", 7'42", 7'35", 7'26", 7'22 and 6'58" - felt really good to properly give my legs a stretch out after a few very easy days to help them recharge.

I then saw you hammering through Offington in the evening. One of is the stalker, but I'm not sure who. Looking forward to hearing your 1 mile attempt. It's a funny old distance but I pretty much did it in the time I predicted (which was a bit disappointing!). I bike to the prom and then I sort of mark out the mile first by running it - this is usually into a stiff wind. I'm not sure whether I give myself time to fully recover, so that could be an issue with you are doing 3 prior miles. In future I might walk half a mile and then jog the other. We're looking at very small marginal gains here!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Evening all.

I'll add my good wishes. The sunny running uplands are just around the corner!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I then saw you hammering through Offington in the evening. One of is the stalker, but I'm not sure who. Looking forward to hearing your 1 mile attempt. It's a funny old distance but I pretty much did it in the time I predicted (which was a bit disappointing!). I bike to the prom and then I sort of mark out the mile first by running it - this is usually into a stiff wind. I'm not sure whether I give myself time to fully recover, so that could be an issue with you are doing 3 prior miles. In future I might walk half a mile and then jog the other. We're looking at very small marginal gains here!

By the time I reached Offington I would have been in mile 7, so looking to hit 7'20" pace for the mile and just starting to feel the effort.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Sounds like the infection is near the end.

The GNT Mile Challenge is beginning to snowball. Time for a lockdown table to be produced by the clerk.
Plus an early rule?
1. Garmin distance must start from standstill and then shall we take the watch mile and run through by 5-10 seconds? Giving no watch fiddling at finish and time for a controlled deceleration avoiding injury from suddenly pulling up. GNT’s decision needed.

Looking forward to the challenge. The virtual vest I’m sitting behind, hoping to pick off on the home straight is [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I reckon 10 seconds between us one way or another unless he smashes 6:00.

Rest day today. Just had 10 hours of the heaviest sleep I can remember. Zzzzz....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Sounds like the infection is near the end.

The GNT Mile Challenge is beginning to snowball. Time for a lockdown table to be produced by the clerk.
Plus an early rule?
1. Garmin distance must start from standstill and then shall we take the watch mile and run through by 5-10 seconds? Giving no watch fiddling at finish and time for a controlled deceleration avoiding injury from suddenly pulling up. GNT’s decision needed.

Looking forward to the challenge. The virtual vest I’m sitting behind, hoping to pick off on the home straight is [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I reckon 10 seconds between us one way or another unless he smashes 6:00.

Rest day today. Just had 10 hours of the heaviest sleep I can remember. Zzzzz....

Yes Gaff. I do this as described. It's interesting to see if there's a 'training effect' eg [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] feels he's just about hit a ceiling after a few attempts.

Our usual comps are over a season (i.e a calendar year). How long do you want to keep this one open? I've been assuming it's more of short sharp one, so do we need to put an end date on it? I wouldn't want to exclude anyone - most notably the virus-stricken [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION].
What do you think?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes Gaff. I do this as described. It's interesting to see if there's a 'training effect' eg [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] feels he's just about hit a ceiling after a few attempts.

Our usual comps are over a season (i.e a calendar year). How long do you want to keep this one open? I've been assuming it's more of short sharp one, so do we need to put an end date on it? I wouldn't want to exclude anyone - most notably the virus-stricken [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION].
What do you think?

Thanks chaps. I won't be troubling the scorers anyway. Once this cough shifts it will be gradual and slow until I've got my lungs back and blubber off, so go ahead without me. I'll wave the pom poms on the sidelines.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

What do you think?

We'll keep it open through the year as a seperate table. The GNT AG MILE CHALLENGE

I'll test the training effect for you. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is on top form and without a race is unlikely to find more than a few seconds. Tomorrow I'll give it a go in the rain on the back of low paced hill running. I'll then switch to a 4 week interval based training plan towards an all out effort in June. Unlikely to find more than 10 seconds from all that specific training, I'd guess.

Tomorrow will be the magic Asic Hyperspeeds as the Vaporfly Next0% don't want to get wet yet. The adrenaline is starting to take hold.............

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seen a few people stateside undertaking a 4*4*48 challenge...

Run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours. Invariably most run 6 as their final leg to round up to 50 miles.

This appeals to me - it doesn't feel as though it should be too difficult, other than two 4am shifts (assuming a 4, 8, 12 o'clock rotation), and even those would be made easier if you have a treadmill at home. I might give this a go once we have more freedom to swan about again.

What's everyone else's thoughts on how difficult this would be?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I wonder if this will look like a table. Fingers crossed. Graded by AG. Pretty close at the top. Have taken @GNT slower non wind assisted time but open to change that.

NAME GNT Mile AG GNT Mile Time
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mine have cost £120 a mile over 10 weeks.....

These are this year's weirdo shoe, not yours, which are relatively normal in comparison!

He's just released a video where he puts them side by side and reveals which shoe he'd choose for his next marathon (he only ran his first road marathon last year, doing so in in 2:19ish, but he's clearly very talented and does a lot of hilly trail work in Colorado).

Spoiler: he choose your ones over the freak-shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwl0vkzqiDo

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Seen a few people stateside undertaking a 4*4*48 challenge...

Run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours. Invariably most run 6 as their final leg to round up to 50 miles.

This appeals to me - it doesn't feel as though it should be too difficult, other than two 4am shifts (assuming a 4, 8, 12 o'clock rotation), and even those would be made easier if you have a treadmill at home. I might give this a go once we have more freedom to swan about again.

What's everyone else's thoughts on how difficult this would be?

I think I would get home after one of the sessions to find the door bolted from the inside. She'd like me to run for 48 hours or more at a time but not come back home 12 times in 48 hours.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder if this will look like a table. Fingers crossed. Graded by AG. Pretty close at the top. Have taken @GNT slower non wind assisted time but open to change that.

NAME GNT Mile AG GNT Mile Time
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

That's me ****ed then.

As a 48-y-o, I'd have to run 5:40 to get 73.66%.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here