Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Wonder if [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] coughed, sneezed or spat when running past my house yesterday. Woke up with his symptoms and duly missed the A80 Bevendean Parkrun challenge.
Was feeling good for that and now have a 50 point deduction for 2020.

That's a bummer. Worthing had a very good turnout today with conditions much better than of late. Loads of PBs, but not for me. However, an SB of 22.13 with an AG of 75.47% which might consolidate me a 2nd place behind he who should not be mentioned in polite company because he's so bloody fast.
Get well soon and I reckon you'll be in the mid 70s yourself with more to come.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wonder if [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] coughed, sneezed or spat when running past my house yesterday. Woke up with his symptoms and duly missed the A80 Bevendean Parkrun challenge.
Was feeling good for that and now have a 50 point deduction for 2020.

Oh no! Get well soon gaffer, that is crappy.

Not guilty though. Spitting would be very bad form at the moment and, in any case, didn't make it as far as King Alfred before I turned for home. If it is the same thing it shifts quickly - I managed a 7.5 miler this morning working in and around "steady" PRE.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I made it to Hove Park, so I can finally get an entry on the table. An out of shape 23.16 please.

Things can only get better, etc...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's a bummer. Worthing had a very good turnout today with conditions much better than of late. Loads of PBs, but not for me. However, an SB of 22.13 with an AG of 75.47% which might consolidate me a 2nd place behind he who should not be mentioned in polite company because he's so bloody fast.
Get well soon and I reckon you'll be in the mid 70s yourself with more to come.

The table will be changed to put you back where you belong, since he who cannot be named joined us.

The big guns didn't turn up today and I would have had a high Arena finish but plenty of other runs to come. This year I don't have to dream of a sub 20 5K as 20:02 will now give me an 80% AG. This will satisfy me enough to retire. So I will dream on.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - I didn't hang around at Hove Park this morning, I did see [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] though and he found his way into a new PB. :clap2:

With the 20 miler tomorrow, I decided to be reserved and not do anything silly and run 18:30. I did get a little bit excited and ran a 18:17 to protect 3rd place overall, I do wonder what might have been possible had I not woken up at 8:45 and had a proper warm up. The winning time was 17:31 which is still out of my reach, but not that far I don't think and after the marathon is done I'm going to focus on being 1st finisher at one of the parkrun majors!

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
What has happened to 2018 champ [MENTION=17139]Capricorn[/MENTION] ? Given up running of too good for us?

I'm still kicking around. I wouldn't say I've completely given up running, but I've transitioned to becoming a bit of a gym shark. I'm still doing parkrun regularly though, and... (my former self would shudder at the thought) do a treadmill run once or twice during the week :ffsparr:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Gutted. Barcelona marathon has been cancelled. Was due to take place next weekend. Was aiming for my sub 4 pb.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Gutted. Barcelona marathon has been cancelled. Was due to take place next weekend. Was aiming for my sub 4 pb.

Bad luck indeed, Gutted for you.

Looks like both this and Paris have been moved to October. Brighton's looking much more in doubt isn't it?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Bad luck indeed, Gutted for you.

Looks like both this and Paris have been moved to October. Brighton's looking much more in doubt isn't it?

I have the London marathon the week after, can't see either going ahead at this stage.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, I feel much happier about Brighton Marathon now I have a race under my belt.

I got myself around the new Surrey Half route in 1:28:21 according to my watch, and felt comfortable with it. I sat in front of the 1:30 pacer for the first half, then upped the effort in the second half, and really upping the pace for the last mile with a sprint finish to take myself several positions up the finishing table.

I'll be interested to see the stats once my watch is downloaded. Sure, it is not my quickest half ever, but satisfying given what happened to me at the start of last year. It finally feels like I might be getting back to where I was.

:)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I said to [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] I'd post some details here for how to splice together 2 (or more) runs in Strava if you have some sort of watch/user malfunction that means you have 2 (or more) activities in Strava that was actually a single run.

You need to access Strava on a desktop - you can't do this on a phone.

1. Go to each run you want to combine.

2. Click the three dots, and then Export GPX to download the run data to your Mac/PC.

Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 12.13.57.png

3. Go here https://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php

4. Select the files you downloaded and click 'Upload'.

5. Click the "Click Here To go to download page"

6. Check the settings on this next page. Don't stress too much if you're not sure - you can repeat this process as many times as you want/need. From memory, you probably don't need to change much, if anything.

7. Click the big blue button to upload the combined run to Strava.

8. Check the run is as you expect and then return to the components and delete them.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
18 miles this morning - featuring Woodland Drive, Peacock Lane and Bear Road followed by a long haul back along the seafront into the wind dodging (unsuccessfully at one point) the waves crashing onto the undercliff. Beautiful blue skies and felt good at the end - possibly due to deliberately trying to run slower , although did not feel like I could repeat the run after finishing!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
18 miles this morning - featuring Woodland Drive, Peacock Lane and Bear Road followed by a long haul back along the seafront into the wind dodging (unsuccessfully at one point) the waves crashing onto the undercliff. Beautiful blue skies and felt good at the end - possibly due to deliberately trying to run slower , although did not feel like I could repeat the run after finishing!

That is a good looking route on the Strava map, very tough though certainly. I've been victim of the crashing waves on the undercliff many a time recently.

Lydd 20 miler for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I this morning, the first seven miles at 8:00 per, then 3 miles at 7:00 per, back to 8:00 for 3 miles and a final three mile set of 7:00 per. The final mile was a straight shootout between us, which I narrowly won into the wind because I'm a savage. Comfortably the best training run over a long distance I've ever run.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
16 miles run yesterday morning before heading off to watch Brentford massacre MASSIVE. Strava tells me it was 24 minutes quicker than the same route in November, which just goes to show how remarkably slow I was then, as I’m still hardly what anybody might call pacy.

Just back in from shooting the Cambridge Half with Ant, Sally and the crew. I still can’t get over how fortunate I am to be able to do this. In what other walk of life do you get to yell “strong finish there, Large Ovary” as you work and the recipient seems pleased?

Running has quite literally changed my life and dramatically for the better.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That is a good looking route on the Strava map, very tough though certainly. I've been victim of the crashing waves on the undercliff many a time recently.

Lydd 20 miler for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I this morning, the first seven miles at 8:00 per, then 3 miles at 7:00 per, back to 8:00 for 3 miles and a final three mile set of 7:00 per. The final mile was a straight shootout between us, which I narrowly won into the wind because I'm a savage. Comfortably the best training run over a long distance I've ever run.

Enjoyed that today. The 2x3 mile reps were a confidence boost as seemed reasonably comfortable.

The class of [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] showed in the final mile which effectively became our race. He left me for dead and I came in some 30 seconds behind him.

That’s 5 runs of 17.6 miles or more so I’m well set for 6 weeks. I might hold back a little this weekend and run a comfortable 16/17 miler then back up to 20 miles or more for my remaining 3 long runs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
18 miles for me today, mostly in the aerobic PRE zone which is 15-30 seconds quicker that really "easy". Just the distance was daunting as I set out, given my lack of running in the week, but once again I was actually thankful for windy conditions as I was blown home in no time at all. One poor split all based around traffic and driveway shenanigans in Shoreham slowing me to a stop but, that apart, I'm absolutely chuffed with the run. Just keeping fingers crossed now that the race is on and we all stay healthy.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
A decent weekend of running, as [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] posted in an earlier message Saturday saw me claim a new early season Parkrun PB of 21.07, shaving five seconds off my 2019 best (AG 65.11). A table update would be appreciated Gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. My first sub 21 time gets that little bit closer to being achieved... Good to catch up with Ninja and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] after the event.

I then followed up that up with a little over 22 miles yesterday morning at an average of 8.50's, good to hear a shout out from the Gaffer out for a stroll at the King Alfred at roughly mile 15 for me. It would just be nice to have one long Sunday run this year which didn't involve battling into a 20+mph wind. The 8 miles or so from Ovingdean to power station did for me and my splits trailed off towards the end as I dragged my carcass back into Mile Oak!

That said, I'm currently ahead of where I need to be for the BM so I'm going to rein it in a little for next weekend, have a few beers for Arsenal game and not get up at 6.30 on the Sunday morning, I'll try something like a 10 at race speed in the evening.

Top running from people over the weekend, here's to the same this week and three points and a double over the Gunners please :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't get out until gone 9pm yesterday. Hangover writing off the morning and life filling the day once I'd made it out of bed.

I covered my 10 mile loop of Worthing on what was a lovely evening to be out, particularly along the seafront, with waves crashing onto the beach. I like the solitude of a Sunday night run.

Sträva reckons it was my second best 10 miles to date, and it only felt like I was shuffling along for most of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here