Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As both my bike and my car are currently out of commission, I shall be attending the Hove Park parkrun tomorrow as it's closest to my home. :lolol: I shall also be trying to get a nice nap in tomorrow, ahead of getting up early on sunday for the Jolly Boys outing to Bedgebury!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A new monthly record of 139 miles for me. Eclipsing the 127 from August 2019.

One 20 and one 17.6 miler

Two track sessions one in Halifax one at Withdean

1 hungover New Year Park Run and a CR Park Run 18:36 at Preston Park. A good month for me and feeling good now for Bedgebury Sunday and the 2 half’s in February.

And my Hoka Carbon X shoes turned up today. Will wear once before I use them for the Worthing Half. Bring on the extra 5%!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

1 hungover New Year Park Run and a CR Park Run 18:36 at Preston Park. A good month for me and feeling good now for Bedgebury Sunday and the 2 half’s in February.

And my Hoka Carbon X shoes turned up today. Will wear once before I use them for the Worthing Half. Bring on the extra 5%!

95 miles for me with 7.5 miles swimming to bring up the hundred. Feeling good also but expecting to be last NSC man at Bedgebury. Will try and keep [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] in sight, I live in hope.

Then it's 2 weeks of slow long runs mixed with some fast stuff ready for the Arena Parkrun showdown at PP on Feb15th.
Apparently my shoes should take 50 seconds from my 21" from Xmas day and 10 weeks swimming 15 seconds off. So an easy jog for a sub 20". :whistle:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Nicely done. Complete opposite for me, covering just 14.2 miles running in two runs – possibly the lowest since I started running and certainly since I first had a device to record running on. :down:

Assuming my back gets better, there's no excuse for such a pitiful performance in February...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I did 140 miles! :p

Definitely a successful month of training for me. Plenty of speed work and a fair bit of hill training has given me a good base. Now the long Sunday grinds start building up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
155.5 miles in the tank for me running, 191 miles on the bike. :clap2: Best start to a year by a distance with 2 5k PBs in a row, although I dropped back into the 18s today at Hove Park, finishing 3rd in 18:10 (pending official confirmation). I wanted to be at the front and see how long I could hold the pace for, which effectively was 2km. I dropped away a little bit thinking about tomorrow and wanted to focus on technique. Based on the times at the front in the last couple of years I have high hopes that both [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and myself could be challenging for the podium. Good preparation going in, now time to make it happen!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
126 miles in Jan for me. Another 5 and a bit this morning faffing around on the hills around Hove Park before the parkrunners got there and a big 16 mile progression run planned for tomorrow (probably round Shoreham and Lancing looking at the forcast wind).

Some good NSC parkrunning this morning according to Strava. Third place Ninja?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Finally opened my parkrun account for 2020 and my new Very Old Git category. As I've been in the sick bay for 2 weeks and have only been out for a run twice since the new year, I was happy with 24.14, albeit (I think) a PW.
This gave me an improbable age category win and an age grade of 69.19%, which is not worth troubling the gaffer with.

A PW then, but my goodness a welcome one!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally opened my parkrun account for 2020 and my new Very Old Git category. As I've been in the sick bay for 2 weeks and have only been out for a run twice since the new year, I was happy with 24.14, albeit (I think) a PW.
This gave me an improbable age category win and an age grade of 69.19%, which is not worth troubling the gaffer with.

A PW then, but my goodness a welcome one!

Glad you're back on your feet. It will be no trouble to put that in the table. Not often you do a Parkrun that is not 70%+ and cannot go unrecorded.

The table is looking good for someone to make an attempt at topping the AGs next Saturday.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good NSC turnout at Bedgebury today. Great race, 2 laps of the picturesque Pinetum forest tracks usually reserved for walkers and mountain bikers.
Tough going despite the good paths to follow but think I paid the price of park running yesterday as legs felt heavy and lap 2 turned into a bit of a slog.
39th in 1:17. Not sure what route the others took as Strava says I had nearly 100 ft of extra elevation by comparison.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good NSC turnout at Bedgebury today. Great race, 2 laps of the picturesque Pinetum forest tracks usually reserved for walkers and mountain bikers.
Tough going despite the good paths to follow but think I paid the price of park running yesterday as legs felt heavy and lap 2 turned into a bit of a slog.
39th in 1:17. Not sure what route the others took as Strava says I had nearly 100 ft of extra elevation by comparison.

Good running from all the NSC squad today. Strava is all over the place with distance and elevation there. It was hilly and much harder than the course two years ago.

Pleased with my second consecutive 6th position in 1:07:17. We should have put a team in with Ninja’s 4th & my 6th we would have done quite well. Always next year I suppose.

Plan now to have a fairly restful week for Worthing Half Marathon. Long range forecast isn’t good for the wind again.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Yep great event. NSC wooden spoon for me but still not unhappy with 49th place and 5th in age category in 1:19.

Next time I won’t go out drinking the night before - definitely paid a price for that as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] left me in his wake!

Btw my friend Jenny who you met today won her age category and has a trophy for it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep great event. NSC wooden spoon for me but still not unhappy with 49th place and 5th in age category in 1:19.

Next time I won’t go out drinking the night before - definitely paid a price for that as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] left me in his wake!

Btw my friend Jenny who you met today won her age category and has a trophy for it!

I think the Harmonica won his age category. I managed a 2nd in class. Any cups for us?

1:18:49 for me. My plan to keep an eye on you set me off at an uncomfortably fast pace, then when you waved me in front I had to run my bollocks off for 6 miles to stop you getting back in front. Great pacing and pushing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good running Bedgebury crew. Very impressed as the Strava posts came flying in.

Blatted out a 16 mile run at 9 min miles this morning. Then added up in my head that I'd run 5 miles on Friday and 5.5 yesterday. Added up the times and distances and that's a 4 hour 5 min marathon over three days with two of the runs being deliberately "easy".

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Rolled into 4th in 1:05:02, very pleased with that. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] all feature in the photos on the Facebook page, but I couldn't find any of [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on there. He was definitely there though. :thumbsup:

I think that without the muddy section, I feel like I could have run 3rd but the guy who took me was much stronger through the muddy hill than I was and good luck to him. We had a brief chat at the end and 10 miles is his preferred distance and this was his target race. He's run the course a couple of times over the last few weeks so he was very well set. The guy who won it was absolutely streaking away in the first lap, lead from start to finish.

Anyhoo, I popped out for a 20 mile cycle this evening, I wanted to keep it as flat as possible but did take in a couple of climbs including Fox Way. That was after a 2 hour nap. :lolol: No regrets.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Rolled into 4th in 1:05:02, very pleased with that. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] all feature in the photos on the Facebook page, but I couldn't find any of [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on there. He was definitely there though. :thumbsup:

I think that without the muddy section, I feel like I could have run 3rd but the guy who took me was much stronger through the muddy hill than I was and good luck to him. We had a brief chat at the end and 10 miles is his preferred distance and this was his target race. He's run the course a couple of times over the last few weeks so he was very well set. The guy who won it was absolutely streaking away in the first lap, lead from start to finish.

Anyhoo, I popped out for a 20 mile cycle this evening, I wanted to keep it as flat as possible but did take in a couple of climbs including Fox Way. That was after a 2 hour nap. :lolol: No regrets.

I think the organisers were concerned about the four of you leaving in an ambulance.

Your 20 mile ride shows what it takes to be a 4th place finisher, great run from you. Good day all round with all NSC runners in the top 50 and 2 in the top 10.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sounds like a good weekend of running and some great times at the Bedgbury race.

I finally managed a new PB at parkrun yesterday. I did Victoria Docks and clocked in at 23.05 (64.40%) so a 12 second PB. So 49 parkruns and 24 locations now done and am planning to do my 50th at Tilgate next week.

On Sunday it was LSR day and a group of us went out exploring. Ticked off 19 miles in 3.13 and felt OK at the end of it. 9 weeks to Manchester.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Excellent work from Team NSC yesterday.

There was also the Chichester 10K. This has always been a high quality event. Yesterday there were sub 40s by 3 VM65 runners!

It’s tempting to give up!

Hard run in for me yesterday as did sprint finishes at miles 7-8 to try and lose [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] who wouldn’t drop back. The final uphill mile was a killer.
Lost 4lbs in weight in 24 hours without it being dehydration. Why I have to sparingly push the pace when I run and an easy week is needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here