Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've had an email today reminding me to enter the Worthing 10k.

I've never done well in this, it's always too hot and I've given up road 10Ks.

So why am I tempted? :mad:

Anyone else thnking about it?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I waited for the PB table to be updated before posting - snigger! Sunday was fab, I took a massive gamble to try and go with the 1.45 pace runners, I never run sub 8 minute miles but my first 6 on Sunday read as 7.53, 7.59, 7.55, 7.55, 7.56 & 7.58. As I hit about 6.5 miles I know why they say dont start too fast, I knew I couldnt maintain that pace so dropped back knowing by PB was just under 1.49. I followed a runner who swept past me at about 12 miles and managed to hang on to them until the finish line to come in at 1.47.44 so a new PB by 1.15. Really really pleased with that, next target obviously will be to be able to stick with the 1.45 pacers! Good to see Knocky, he was just coming out of the toilet, but I think that is how most people saw him pre race. I travelled down with Guiness Boy, our rivalry continues as it helps to push us to our limits and I claimed victory this time. Great running all. I work with Ben Eltons Brother, what a time!

Anyway, I am heading to Wothing PR tomorrow as I need to register a 5k run for this year. Then its off to the football, eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!! Sunday is LSR day - possibly 18 miles, will see how I feel as the HM took it out of me and then Leicester Tuesday and was at a conference in Birmingham yesterday, I need a lazy morning at some point!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No. Not even entered my head to go through that kind of misery.

Did this today though. Not quite as tedious as I expected, pretty pleased with overall distance given done nothing over 15m since November.

https://strava.app.link/XcLVJWmXHU

Even got third place (because a few of the faster lightweights dropped out when they got to marathon distance of a measly 106 laps

https://my6.raceresult.com/119051/results?lang=en

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Running of a different (and potentially messy) nature for me tomorrow as I take part in my first Beer Mile.

4 laps of a track, downing a beer before each lap, what could possibly go wrong?

OK, I'm actually taking part in a 2 person relay because 4 beers in 10 minutes would probably kill me given my current alcohol tolerance. I'm still not entirely confident of my ability to hold it all in though.

There's some very specific rules
https://www.beermile.com/rules

Rule 10 is the best:

"Competitors who vomit before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap). Note: Vomitting more than once during the race still requires only one penalty lap at the end. * It is strongly recommended, when attempting official records, to tip the empty beer can or bottle over your head at the end of a chug to verify an empty vessel."

:lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running of a different (and potentially messy) nature for me tomorrow as I take part in my first Beer Mile.

4 laps of a track, downing a beer before each lap, what could possibly go wrong?

OK, I'm actually taking part in a 2 person relay because 4 beers in 10 minutes would probably kill me given my current alcohol tolerance. I'm still not entirely confident of my ability to hold it all in though.

There's some very specific rules
https://www.beermile.com/rules

Rule 10 is the best:

"Competitors who vomit before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap). Note: Vomitting more than once during the race still requires only one penalty lap at the end. * It is strongly recommended, when attempting official records, to tip the empty beer can or bottle over your head at the end of a chug to verify an empty vessel."

:lolol:

World record is about 4.30 or something isn’t it ?
Good luck - seen a few of these on Youtube. Can get messy [emoji2961]There’s a beer ultra in the UK now - 50k with beer at every aid station [emoji106][emoji106]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
World record is about 4.30 or something isn’t it ?
Good luck - seen a few of these on Youtube. Can get messy [emoji2961]There’s a beer ultra in the UK now - 50k with beer at every aid station [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks! World Record is 4:33, which just seems insane. The same guy did 4:24 last year but got disqualified for leaving a tiny bit of beer in one of the cans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
No. Not even entered my head to go through that kind of misery.

Did this today though. Not quite as tedious as I expected, pretty pleased with overall distance given done nothing over 15m since November.

https://strava.app.link/XcLVJWmXHU

Even got third place (because a few of the faster lightweights dropped out when they got to marathon distance of a measly 106 laps

https://my6.raceresult.com/119051/results?lang=en

I think that's comfortably more than the number of laps I guessed on FB. Well run, great effort.

You are, of course, correct about the 10K. What am I thinking?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I waited for the PB table to be updated before posting - snigger! Sunday was fab, I took a massive gamble to try and go with the 1.45 pace runners, I never run sub 8 minute miles but my first 6 on Sunday read as 7.53, 7.59, 7.55, 7.55, 7.56 & 7.58. As I hit about 6.5 miles I know why they say dont start too fast, I knew I couldnt maintain that pace so dropped back knowing by PB was just under 1.49. I followed a runner who swept past me at about 12 miles and managed to hang on to them until the finish line to come in at 1.47.44 so a new PB by 1.15. Really really pleased with that, next target obviously will be to be able to stick with the 1.45 pacers! Good to see Knocky, he was just coming out of the toilet, but I think that is how most people saw him pre race. I travelled down with Guiness Boy, our rivalry continues as it helps to push us to our limits and I claimed victory this time. Great running all. I work with Ben Eltons Brother, what a time!

Anyway, I am heading to Wothing PR tomorrow as I need to register a 5k run for this year. Then its off to the football, eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!! Sunday is LSR day - possibly 18 miles, will see how I feel as the HM took it out of me and then Leicester Tuesday and was at a conference in Birmingham yesterday, I need a lazy morning at some point!

Knocky wasn't running I think you mean [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] the king of the toilet. Apart from that good running and great time. It will be added. See you at the AW 20 miler!

Worthing 10K is a no for me [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Find the suburban housing part too dull.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
107 miles in February, making 246 ytd.
First time ever I've manged 5 consecutive 100 mile months.

Will probably go for a bit of a blast at Maldon Prom parkrun in the morning, then Barcelona Marathon on 10th March.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I’ll probably enter. I’ve been told by someone I hold in high regard that 10k’s are the best distance for overall improvement. I can see why because you are asking yourself to maintain a quick pace over a considerable distance.

They hurt like hell, but no pain, no gain.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

That’s a great effort and puts you in a great position to go sub 4 for a marathon. You’ve got the speed now and the long runs will stand you in good stead for this.

There could be a battle Royale at this years BM with a potential sub 4 hour group.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm in two minds about the Worthing 10k, immediately after the marathon I'm heading to America for three weeks so I don't expect to get through too much running when I'm out there, although with a bit of good luck I'll get to take in a few sessions.I'll make a decision whether to enter closer to the day. I think I might continue to hunt down longer distances though, and keep an eye on marathons in September/October. Probably Bournemouth if not Beachy Head or both.

I went for a swim at the King Alfred this morning, it's quite an expensive addition to training though, £5 each time. I do enjoy a nice morning swim though and my intention is to swim every friday.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I am little behind you guys, but you have to start somewhere......I am doing my first 5k next Sunday during the Surrey HM, then book in to do the 5k at rungatwick on the morning on the Man City game.....hopefully get myself ready for a 10k later summer/early autumn.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford

I am little behind you guys, but you have to start somewhere......I am doing my first 5k next Sunday during the Surrey HM, then book in to do the 5k at rungatwick on the morning on the Man City game.....hopefully get myself ready for a 10k later summer/early autumn.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Worthing 10K is a no for me [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Find the suburban housing part too dull.

No knocky, no party.

I suspect I will resist the temptation until it comes to Phoenix, then enter that in order to get the wooden spoon and the beers and peanuts in.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Good man, and I almost wish I was only doing 5k rather than the HM next weekend, as a certain foot-based tendon has decided to give me a spot of grief today...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Slow recovery Parkrun at the Prom. After watching Laura Muir's great finish in the 3000m last night opened up last 200m to 5:10 mile pace when a labrador ran in front 3 yards from finish. Stopped abruptly and two runners ran past whilst I held her between my legs. First dog I've had between my legs since 1995.......................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Slow recovery Parkrun at the Prom. After watching Laura Muir's great finish in the 3000m last night opened up last 200m to 5:10 mile pace when a labrador ran in front 3 yards from finish. Stopped abruptly and two runners ran past whilst I held her between my legs. First dog I've had between my legs since 1995.......................

Heard the labrador has put in Official complaint

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
She didn't have a barkode

:nono: Oh my!

Really strong turnout at Seaford Beach parkrun this morning, I would guess over 200 but I might be massively lowballing that number. I flew home in 9th, mugging off a couple of fellas in the last 200 metres. I forgot my watch though, which is particularly annoying - so I have absolutely no idea what the time was. I think it was sub-20, but it could be anywhere between 19:30 and 20:30, I didn't have much sense of my own pace. The last time I had no sense of my own pace, I ran 19:51 at Darlington.

parkrun 97 for me today, and 16th different course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here