Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Two more long runs before marathon taper. Can't say I'm enjoying training this year. Waaaay too many cold grey dull days.
I know it's crap at the moment, but training for autumn marathons - and running mega miles over summer - is arguably even worse, I find.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still plodding along here, day after day. The Run Streak now stands at 1125 days.

Slightly annoyed because I covered 187 miles in February - lower than usual because we went away at half-term, booked at the last minute. What I didn't know, until I checked last night, was that I'd run 200 miles or more for 31 consecutive months. I'd have made sure I dragged my arse up to 200 over the last week or so had I known!

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
A little late but here's my update from the BHM last weekend.
Proving that every second really does count I bagged a 2 second PB with a time of 1.32.29.
Completely unexpected, just went out quick (for me) and waited to crash and burn, which never really materialised.
Pretty consistent pace throughout with just 21 seconds between my quickest and slowest miles over the 13.
20 planned for Sunday as I hit the hard miles in prep for BM in April :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Proving that every second really does count I bagged a 2 second PB with a time of 1.32.29.
Completely unexpected, just went out quick (for me) and waited to crash and burn, which never really materialised.
Pretty consistent pace throughout with just 21 seconds between my quickest and slowest miles over the 13.
Great run. Great disciplined training. That was you're pace at Hove Park Parkrun when we met 3 weeks back. Wish I could keep it up after 5k!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Nice one - congratulations to you and all the other HM runners.

I ended up managing the Mile 8 Water Station - last minute stand in as the person who was supposed to do it had gone sick, leaving a completely unbriefed team of volunteers!

Just about got everything done with about two minutes to spare before the first runners came past.
All went ok in the end thanks to the volunteers’ enthusiasm but it meant I didn’t get much chance to look out for everyone (I think @big nuts was the only person I saw) and cheer them on as I was having to pay a lot of attention to what was going on with the water and energy drinks levels!

All great fun though - really recommend volunteering for the marathon if you’re not running.

It’s the Grizzly for me in Devon on Sunday - 20 miles of mud, river, hills, pebbles, more mud, more hills and the stairway to heaven up the cliff face at Branscombe. Why?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
What no comment on the new Brighton Marathon route?

Losing the harbour section has to be a good move. Means runners will hit the well supported section along Church Road at the time things usually start to hurt. Could make a big difference for a lot of folk.

Not sure I’m thrilled with the finish being at Hove Lawns though. Just means I’ve further to hobble back to the apartment we’ve booked, which is perfectly located for the old finish line.
:p

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What no comment on the new Brighton Marathon route?

Losing the harbour section has to be a good move. Means runners will hit the well supported section along Church Road at the time things usually start to hurt. Could make a big difference for a lot of folk.

Not sure I’m thrilled with the finish being at Hove Lawns though. Just means I’ve further to hobble back to the apartment we’ve booked, which is perfectly located for the old finish line.
:p
Is this ANOTHER route? I thought they'd already announced ditching Shoreham Harbour? Clearly not though, if you're saying the finish is at Hove Lawns. Think of the hobble eastwards as recovery for your legs, Jim!

Church Road was always horrible to me – long, dull and then you have to turn around and do it all over again! Not sure if/when I'll do Brighton again. On one hand it's on my doorstep (although us Shorehamites got a lot of support from the Harbour bit and hence I didn't mind it at all), but I've probably done it too many times to really want to cover the same ground. Expensive too!

Edit: just looked at the new route. Withdean instead of Shoreham Harbour and the long run to Madeira Drive? Nah, not for me, Clive.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’m very happy with the new route because… er… it’s in Brighton. I love the city. It’s still my favourite place. I always leave feeling happier than when I arrived (admittedly that was tested after the Fulham match). The marathon gives me an annual excuse for a couple of nights in the city with good friends and tens of thousands of well wishers. I love it and I’ll be signing up for 2024.
🥹

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I think the route is okay but shame it can't finish on Madeira Drive, is this to do with the Sea Lanes works?
Yes my understanding is Basin Road changes are due to cost the Port Authority wanted to charge whereas Finish changed due to the building works on Madeira Drive - although was told it’s th me renovation of the arches rather than Sea Lanes - but could be both.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I was looking at the course earlier today, the final 3 miles looks suspiciously short - they've not made a schoolboy error of switching to KMs for the last 3 have they? Unless the turn around point is further along Basin Road than it seems.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Latest from planet GNT. Was due to run the Chester 10k Sunday next, wearing the old git England vest.
But last Saturday ran the Fareham parkrun. Arrived a but late, no warm up and stuck at the back of the field. The course consists of very narrow paths and overtaking is difficult and frustrating.
A too quick change of pace and I did my quads in. Walked to finish (we've all done it).
Almost certainly buggered up my chance of running at Chester. Oh well.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Latest from planet GNT. Was due to run the Chester 10k Sunday next, wearing the old git England vest.
But last Saturday ran the Fareham parkrun. Arrived a but late, no warm up and stuck at the back of the field. The course consists of very narrow paths and overtaking is difficult and frustrating.
A too quick change of pace and I did my quads in. Walked to finish (we've all done it).
Sounds rough, GNT, but I'm sure you can bounce back. You and the Gaffer have a knack of pulling off miracles when it comes to recovery from injury...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bugger indeed. Hope you recover in time to get to put that England vest on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds rough, GNT, but I'm sure you can bounce back. You and the Gaffer have a knack of pulling off miracles when it comes to recovery from injury...
Not me mate. Bloody sick note.😆
Deferred from the Moyleman today. Don't want to risk further damage to a calf niggle.
Training was good and now I can gradually get into speedwork for the summer.

Good luck Sunday. I'm first reserve volunteer for Sunday so may get to see you. Maybe I'll get the job of pulling the Harvey's!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not me mate. Bloody sick note.😆
Deferred from the Moyleman today. Don't want to risk further damage to a calf niggle.
Training was good and now I can gradually get into speedwork for the summer.

Good luck Sunday. I'm first reserve volunteer for Sunday so may get to see you. Maybe I'll get the job of pulling the Harvey's!
Gutted to hear that Gaffer. I was looking forward to you overtaking me up Mt Caburn 🤣

Hopefully see you somewhere on the route or at the end. Snow, rain and wind forecast, apparently.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've not been on this thread for a while.......

For about ten months now, I've had an (initially intermittent) issue with my running. I do most of my running at a slow pace, usually around 130/135 bpm.

My HR in these runs would sometimes start going to, and staying at, 170/180/190 bpm. Initially this would happen on my runs for a week or two, and then my runs would go back to normal 130 bpm runs.

The high HR runs started to continue for a few weeks so I rested, on return I would come back at normal rates.

Went to Doc's (she even done the google calculation of Max HR, and decided that I shouldn't be allowing my HR to go above 220-63 = 157), booked and had an ECG and bloods. Nothing showing. Advised it was ok to continue running.

High HR then became more persistent, hitting 200 on a slow parkrun. Went back to Doc (November) and got referred for a 24 hour monitor. Finally had the monitor fitted for 24 hours on Feb 6.

Results came back, appointment yesterday, ECG first then appointment.
24 hour monitor and ECG showing a Atrial Fibrulation and evidencing a 200bpm run during the 24 hour.

As of tonight when I collect my prescription am on a blood thinner to lower the risk of clotting from the AF, and a beta blocker to mange the High HR when excercising.

Would appreciate any advice from those of you manging this situation with running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here