Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've never entered a race, nor do I have any intention of doing so.

This video from one of the running YouTubers I follow might have changed my mind though.

(Watch it - it's great fun!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've never entered a race, nor do I have any intention of doing so.

This video from one of the running YouTubers I follow might have changed my mind though.

(Watch it - it's great fun!)

This might have been covered before, but why would you not want to enter a race – or even do a parkrun, if I remember correctly?

And what in that video might have changed your mind?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Hi all - hope everyone is well!

Been 'drifting' running wise for a bit. Richmond marathon was cancelled last minute due to the queen's passing and then re-arranged for the same day as Royal Parks which I did in 1:24. Have been trying to get to ParkRun each week which has been getting quicker. Headed over to Dulwich which is much faster than my usual Clapham one and managed to finally break 18 mins! Not sure really what to do over the winter. I'd love to improve my half-marathon time but I really dont know if I can be bothered. It's weird - when training for a race I always say 'cant wait to just run for the sake of it' but then when I am doing that I miss the goals! Anyone else experience this?

Shame about Brighton but as above its been a mess for a while it seems. Not sure i'll be rushing back to that one. Tried and failed again to get into London. Think i'm about 5 mins off GFA which I guess could be a good goal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This might have been covered before, but why would you not want to enter a race – or even do a parkrun, if I remember correctly?

And what in that video might have changed your mind?
I just run for me, because I like it and always door-to-door, whether I'm at home or away somewhere.

To travel somewhere to then run just seems slightly bizarre to me, and a bit against the purity of running. Also paying to run. I understand events cost money to put on, but why would I, say, pay to enter the Worthing 10km when I can run those same routes any day of the week? (And I've just returned from an 8.5-mile loop which included a stretch of Worthing seafront).

Park Runs - same reason really - why travel somewhere to just run 5km? The exception is Worthing, I guess, in that I could jog down there (3.5 miles I suppose), run it and then jog back home. But I'm not much of a morning runner and Saturday mornings are often blighted by a hangover of some degree!

Finally, I have very little interest in pace/PBs. I think it must be nearly two years since I tried to run fast - or my version of fast - over any kind of distance. Running every day and 60+ miles per week just doesn't give me freshness for pace, and I'd rather run every day than rest to have a go at a fast run.

But that NY Marathon looks great fun, and I'd run it for fun not for a time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I just run for me, because I like it and always door-to-door, whether I'm at home or away somewhere.

To travel somewhere to then run just seems slightly bizarre to me, and a bit against the purity of running. Also paying to run. I understand events cost money to put on, but why would I, say, pay to enter the Worthing 10km when I can run those same routes any day of the week? (And I've just returned from an 8.5-mile loop which included a stretch of Worthing seafront).

Park Runs - same reason really - why travel somewhere to just run 5km? The exception is Worthing, I guess, in that I could jog down there (3.5 miles I suppose), run it and then jog back home. But I'm not much of a morning runner and Saturday mornings are often blighted by a hangover of some degree!

Finally, I have very little interest in pace/PBs. I think it must be nearly two years since I tried to run fast - or my version of fast - over any kind of distance. Running every day and 60+ miles per week just doesn't give me freshness for pace, and I'd rather run every day than rest to have a go at a fast run.

All fair points. I take part in races, but I don't race - my days of going for times are well behind me. I'm always happy to pay for the efforts of the team of putting the events on, but I agree it could be viewed as a little odd.

Having done a fair few, marathons ARE fun and the majors always have fantastic support. Although I'd probably try and steer well clear of that guy with his video 🤣

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I can understand not wanting to take part in smaller events. Especially if you're not going to be running those routes regularly and have no real interest in racing. I tend to enter small races because I'm part of the running community and it's more of a social thing.

On the other hand, running a big event really is a lot of fun. I always get such a buzz from being cheered on by thousands of people out to give their support. It's hard to describe just how good it feels.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All fair points. I take part in races, but I don't race - my days of going for times are well behind me. I'm always happy to pay for the efforts of the team of putting the events on, but I agree it could be viewed as a little odd.

Having done a fair few, marathons ARE fun and the majors always have fantastic support. Although I'd probably try and steer well clear of that guy with his video 🤣
Lots of people do race, obviously, and nearly everyone seems to have a fantastic time. I would guess if I did enter a race, I'd probably catch the bug.

The only race(s) I had previously said I would possibly enter are some at Disney World, most likely the Dopey Challenge where you run 5km, 10km, half-marathon and full marathon on consecutive mornings. Again, the appeal is the event and experience and I'd have no interest in actually racing - there are a lot of character meet-and-greets to stop for!

Kofuzi has been chasing a sub-3 for a few years and finally managed to get there earlier this year. He then ran both Chicago and New York in a similar vein: just out for fun and to enjoy both events. That strikes me as the right way to do it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Met @Simgull at the Prom Parkrun Saturday and discussed Parkrun Bingo. Bit hungover today so played it. You ignore the minute part of your finish times and play Bingo with the seconds from 0-59 seconds. I've got 58 from 60 and need 24 and 49. It will not be easy to get them.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've been a bit lax about posting lately. Possibly this is because I've been on a bit of a plateau, churning out weekly parkruns (usually around 20.50) and the occasional 10k where I've ducked under 43 a couple of times.
I know that the ever popular Brighton10k is on Sunday, but there's also the Crowborough 5/10k races too. (I'll probably do the 5k, where at least you only have to tackle a nasty hill once.)
The goals at present are

1. assuming there's a
parkrun on 31st December then I'll be a freshly minted 68 (!) and might be in with a chance of an age grade PB before 2023

2. to step up the training so that I do OK in March when I should be running the Chester 10k wearing an England vest.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been a bit lax about posting lately. Possibly this is because I've been on a bit of a plateau, churning out weekly parkruns (usually around 20.50) and the occasional 10k where I've ducked under 43 a couple of times.
I know that the ever popular Brighton10k is on Sunday, but there's also the Crowborough 5/10k races too. (I'll probably do the 5k, where at least you only have to tackle a nasty hill once.)
The goals at present are

1. assuming there's a
parkrun on 31st December then I'll be a freshly minted 68 (!) and might be in with a chance of an age grade PB before 2023

2. to step up the training so that I do OK in March when I should be running the Chester 10k wearing an England vest.
Amazing performance. You and @knocky1 are an inspiration to this (slightly) younger ORT'er. I churned out a 48-minute 10k this morning, which I was pretty pleased about. I think my hopes of getting near your 5k time (which is just under my PB) are a pipe-dream, however. I think I'll just stick with the plodding!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Met @Simgull at the Prom Parkrun Saturday and discussed Parkrun Bingo. Bit hungover today so played it. You ignore the minute part of your finish times and play Bingo with the seconds from 0-59 seconds. I've got 58 from 60 and need 24 and 49. It will not be easy to get them.
I’ve been made aware of this by a friend and I’ve got 4 left to do 22,35,39 and 47.
I might try for 47 this weekend as a try to pace my wife under 25 minutes.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
If you download the 5k park runner app then it will work this all out for you.

I have a full house on Stopwatch bingo (times with 0-60 secs), 94% on Position Bingo( finishing place 0-99, 14th and 114th etc count as 14) and 80% on Date bingo (parkrun on days of the year) - still gutted I missed the ultra rare Saturday 29th Feb last year!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Amazing performance. You and @knocky1 are an inspiration to this (slightly) younger ORT'er. I churned out a 48-minute 10k this morning, which I was pretty pleased about. I think my hopes of getting near your 5k time (which is just under my PB) are a pipe-dream, however. I think I'll just stick with the plodding!
Thankyou for mentioning me alongside @GNT but that sentence will be the only time I get anywhere near him this year. He's having a golden year.

Glad I got that Moyleman place as it simplifies winter training. 95% work on easy mileage and hills.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thankyou for mentioning me alongside @GNT but that sentence will be the only time I get anywhere near him this year. He's having a golden year.

Glad I got that Moyleman place as it simplifies winter training. 95% work on easy mileage and hills.
Cheers! I think my main - arguably sole - purpose on the planet is to act as a beacon of hope to those approaching the old git phase of their running career... ..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Vaporfly Next % 2s on the Nike website for 135 quid.
They've got them in several colours at that price, with others still full price. Worth quickly clicking through each colour to see which colours/sizes are discounted.

Vaporfly NEXT% 2

M and M currently have the Adidas Adzero Prime X reduced by £100 to £120 which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen...

Adidas Adzero Prime X

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Went to Bevendean Down on a whim this morning. First run there since December 2017!
Its such a nice, friendly run - only 34 runners so everyone talks to each other and claps each other over the line.
Not had the PB feeling for a long time - ok only my fourth run there but nice nonetheless! 23:54 for the record.
And a parkrun nerd moment. My 9th place means I have finished 9th,10th,11th and 12th in my four runs there.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thoroughly recommend Crowborough. Great atmosphere, value for money and entries on the day.
Challenging course with zero chance of a PB. Mind you, the first 2k is downhill at a 3.40 per k pace for me which is ridiculous. What's then to come is a fast flowing stream and a lung busting hill. And if you do the 10k you get this lot twice.

3rd male placing for me, in the 5k (5.13 actually), identical to last year but 21.57 was a minute quicker.

A lovely touch at the beginning when it was announced that it would be local V70 legend Paul Whelpton's last ever Sussex Grand Prix event.

Great stuff - and cakes at the end too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thoroughly recommend Crowborough. Great atmosphere, value for money and entries on the day.
Challenging course with zero chance of a PB. Mind you, the first 2k is downhill at a 3.40 per k pace for me which is ridiculous. What's then to come is a fast flowing stream and a lung busting hill. And if you do the 10k you get this lot twice.

3rd male placing for me, in the 5k (5.13 actually), identical to last year but 21.57 was a minute quicker.

A lovely touch at the beginning when it was announced that it would be local V70 legend Paul Whelpton's last ever Sussex Grand Prix event.

Great stuff - and cakes at the end too.

Well done old man sounds fun. I had a fun parkrun on Saturday at Loch Leven. It was a 3 uphill and 3 downhill repeats course on a sharp, chunky and gravelly path. Hard to pace on an unknown course. I tucked in at 8th place behind a couple chatting. I managed to stick with them till one ran free. The other I doggedly chased up the final hill where I slipped past him for the 300m run in. My legs then struggled on the final 50m and he came back at me but I just stayed in front. Very friendly group and a timekeeper born in Hollingbury. 23:23 nowhere near you but I'm happy with that.

Saturday planning on Kirkwall Parkrun on the Orkney Isles. Whilst snooping their results page I saw bloody John Lowden from Brighton won it in September in 19:57. Not bad for 65+. Never met him just heard about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here