Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Anyone any ideas how to recover from shin splints?

Had it bad after the Reading Half Marathon in March so stopped training completly since then but can't get rid. Tried a very short run last week and they were killing the next day !

Although sometimes a sore tibialis anterior mimics shin splints. Make sure you warm this muscle up and down pushing the top of your foot to the floor.... And don't wear crappy old trainers. You need new ones every 1000 miles or so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So is anyone else running the inaugural midnight Btn 1/2 marathon this Saturday night? There will be 300 of us. Sold out

I've entered but I'm going to a gig now. I've got a number if anyone wants it.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Managed to get round the Great South Run last Sunday despite no training at all. So, should I burst all these blisters or leave them be ? :facepalm:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
A serious question for running bods.

Being a complete novice runner (max 6 miles 12 years ago), am I taking on too much with the Brighton AND London marathon within a week of each other next year?

Spank you.

I did both this year and it was awesome, I struggled with an injury which didnt help but did not detract from the achievement. Personally, I think go for it, dont go silly in Brighton, if you are feeling good at London, let yourself go. You will ache ache ache afterwards though.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Love running, if only to train for football, tennis etc. Especially sprint training, 3 mins jog then 30 secs sprint. Great for getting the body toned/losing weight, and stops me getting bored like I normally do just going the same speed!

I believe interval training like this is the best way to loose weight and get in shape. Running at constant speed means the body settles into a constant metabolism and returns to normal pretty quick.

Interval training gets the metabolism spinning up and it continues to burn fat even for a few hours when resting afterwards.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
HIIT is a good way of losing weight if you're restricting youself to running but Weightlifting is the best way to lose weight :thumbsup: .

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
back out after a long injury,managed 4 miles today,building up for the London marathon after deferring last year.fingers crossed.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Jacksonville?
That's a bit off the beaten path?

What made you go for that one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's f**king cold out there tonight.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Started the years training today - an easy 4 miler. What are my fellow NSC's running goals this year.

Mine
1. The perennial sub 4hr marathon. 15 attempts - sub 4 10 twice - rest....nowhere
2. Sub 20 mins Hove Park Run - 41.24 best so far.
3. Stay injury free

What's yours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here