Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whoop whoop! Just been to see the best physio this morning. So thorough and really knew her stuff. She picked up via resistance tests that my Psoas muscle was not functioning properly and that this was causing my right leg to over compensate and put pressure on the knee. She did lots of prodding to fix that. Did the resistance test again and the difference was incredible. She thinks that with the right prep this week (hip flexes, foam rolling the quad etc) that I could be ok for Brighton AND London! Going back for additional ultrasound on Friday and pre-race strapping. So I am back in the game! Chuffed, as was fearing the worse and on a bit of a downer about the whole thing, at least now I have a shot at it!

BIG congrats to Artie, unbelievable performance!!! And sounds like all Brighton marathoners are in decent shape, look forward to joining you on Sunday!

Excellent news!

Planning to meet some of the other NSC runners in Preston Park on the Sunday morning, PM me if you want to know where and when (and what we look like :lol: )

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone managed to get hold of this year's app yet? Seem to be cutting it very fine with the release. The London Marathon 2019 one is out on the app store already.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Has anyone managed to get hold of this year's app yet? Seem to be cutting it very fine with the release. The London Marathon 2019 one is out on the app store already.

If you mean the brighton marathon app, it's been out for a while, but it's included in the "Active Experience" app on the App Store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/active-experience/id1343144011?mt=8

Yes. Even I found it using my smoke signals. No entrants on app till they have registered as numbers allocated at that time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Can it be marathon day now, please? :albion2:

NO. I need a few days wrapped in cotton wool to get rid of this bruise thank you very much!

If you mean the brighton marathon app, it's been out for a while, but it's included in the "Active Experience" app on the app store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/active-experience/id1343144011?mt=8

Yes. Even I found it using my smoke signals. No entrants on app till they have registered as numbers allocated at that time.

Thanks chaps.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
NO. I need a few days wrapped in cotton wool to get rid of this bruise thank you very much!

Fair enough - gives me a chance to rest my achilles as well. :thumbsup:

One of the young ladies I follow on Instagram posted a picture of her feet after the Manchester marathon on sunday. It was almost enough to stop following her completely. She claims that they were fine before the start and then horrifically misshapen afterwards but that's never been my experience. I've never developed blisters or a blackened toenail during a run, is that just me?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Fair enough - gives me a chance to rest my achilles as well. :thumbsup:

One of the young ladies I follow on Instagram posted a picture of her feet after the Manchester marathon on sunday. It was almost enough to stop following her completely. She claims that they were fine before the start and then horrifically misshapen afterwards but that's never been my experience. I've never developed blisters or a blackened toenail during a run, is that just me?!

I use Thorlos blister proof socks as recommended on here. Never had a single blister when wearing them. Tried Hilly Twin Skin in the Brighton Half and my sole was rubbing painfully from mile 11 so have binned those off. Thorlos clean and ready for Sunday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I use Thorlos blister proof socks as recommended on here. Never had a single blister when wearing them. Tried Hilly Twin Skin in the Brighton Half and my sole was rubbing painfully from mile 11 so have binned those off. Thorlos clean and ready for Sunday.

I might put a pair of walking socks in my pocket for after the King Alfred..............

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Many thanks [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] ! Yep still in shock. I never dreamed it would go as well as it did. I don't think I could have paced it any better (which was my biggest concern.) This probably sounds weird but there were times in the second half when I was hitting low 6 min mile'ing that I felt I was no longer in control of my legs as they were motoring all by themselves?! I couldn't believe I ended up averaging 6:15 min/mile pace. Legs are in bits now though! :)

I know that feeling. You almost don't feel like you're running, your legs are just doing their own thing and you can't believe they still going. I hope you don't encounter too many stairs this week :lolol:

They say you should double your half marathon time and add 10 minutes to get an estimate of what you can do in a full marathon. I think both of us have proved that point!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm liking Runderwear at the moment for running briefs and socks - https://www.runderwear.co.uk/

Also don't forget to tape up those nipples guys... :lolol:

Didn't take long for you to get sponsorship. :lolol:

I was only able to get Decathlon interested but the undies are very good. Keep dry, slight compression on upper thigh, keep cool and are seamless to prevent chaffing.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/seamless-running-boxers-blue-id_8488450.html

I was reminded of red sore nipples running into the East wind at the Adur/Worthing 20 last Sunday. Will certainly get out the band aids. I'm not [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Didn't take long for you to get sponsorship. :lolol:

I was only able to get Decathlon interested but the undies are very good. Keep dry, slight compression on upper thigh, keep cool and are seamless to prevent chaffing.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/seamless-running-boxers-blue-id_8488450.html

I was reminded of red sore nipples running into the East wind at the Adur/Worthing 20 last Sunday. Will certainly get out the band aids. I'm not [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

I have a couple of pairs of Decathlon under shorts which I wear. Slightly thicker than those ones, with plenty of pockets for phone, gels, etc. They're really comfortable and I never get any chafing down there.

No tape has even gone near my nipples :lolol: Vaseline is the way forward for me (although it can leave stains on certain types of shirts).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So, Brighton Crew, how are we feeling about that weather forecast?

I've seen consternation about it on the Brighton Marathon Facebook posts and similar on a running group I'm on. There's no doubt that there's the potential for the last 5 miles or so to be hard work but they always are. Surely cool temperatures and no rain is fairly much ideal?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've seen consternation about it on the Brighton Marathon Facebook posts and similar on a running group I'm on. There's no doubt that there's the potential for the last 5 miles or so to be hard work but they always are. Surely cool temperatures and no rain is fairly much ideal?

Going to be cold Saturday night :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi guys, the morning after the Manchester marathon and I'm still in a bit of shock. 2:44:37! The race went like a dream. I had the usual pre-race nerves in the morning and just about managed to eat some toast and have some coffee. I stayed overnight at the Premier Inn Old Trafford close by the marathon village, start & finish which helped with logistics.

A short race report:
The race started at 9am. I had the short walk from the hotel to the village to get ready and drop my bag off. After a warm up and some light drills I got in the starting pen. I was in the first wave behind the elites which was busy but not too congested. Once we set off I tried to stay calm and relaxed and kept telling myself to hold the pace. I felt great for the first 18 or so miles and was really enjoying myself, holding a comfortable pace around 6:25 min mile'ing. I started to feel confident I was in 2:50 range. I got talking to a guy next to me at mile 19 who was saying we were around 2:48 pace. As I was still feeling good that's when I thought perhaps I could kick on and see if I could get close to 2:45. I decided to go for it in the last 10km and increased the pace to just above 6 min mile'ing. It seemed to feel relatively ok! I was passing quite a few guys at this point but I was struggling to figure out the maths to know if getting inside 2:45 was on or not . I had to dig deep from mile 24 and realised it was going to be REALLY close either way! The last mile is one long straight so you can see the finish banner and clock in the distance from a long way out. It never seemed to get any closer! When I crossed the line I couldn't quite believe the time on my watch. I had done it!

2:44:37. Placed 126th (Overall) / 24th (Male 40+'s). A 22 minute negative split sub 2:45 PB in marathon #4. Oh boy!

When I set out on this marathon specific training cycle back on December 3rd, I was more determined than ever to achieve a sub 3. I went deep into the well for this one to take me to a new level. 18 weeks of hard graft, consistency, I think close to 1000 miles banked (I'd say 80% EASY paced), multiple 18, 20, 22, 23 mile long runs, focussed on recovery, stretching and some conditioning just as much as my running, very fortunate to not pick up an injury and stayed healthy. It all paid off in the end. Beyond happy! :)

If you're thinking of a Spring marathon I'd 100% recommend Manchester. It's billing as a flat and fast marathon is definitely legit. I think there were around 14,000 running so a nice size with not too much traffic. It's brilliantly organised, a great course with very little elevation, smooth turns and nice long straight sections and really well spectated (I'd say on a par with Brighton). The dry and sunny weather helped.

Good luck to everyone running Brighton on Sunday!! You've got this! :thumbsup:

Sorry, only just seen this....flipping 'eck ! Outstanding time - that'll get you a championship start at London if you want it I think (certainly at Brighton too - VIP toilets and EVERYTHING :))

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Going to be cold Saturday night :eek:

Yep, my twice-annual trip to the Chazzer for a cheap, warm, disposable top is going to need to come up with something genuinely fluffy and cosy for my three quid. Given the hideous state of the corals in 2016 after rain and hail, and given my heat related cramp in a race in February I have to say I'm still pretty bloody THRILLED at the forecast.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I have a flimsy vest from the Martlets that would be more use for a night out in Kemp Town. Still it's about promoting them rather than how I look. I am on my way to Decathlon now to pick up a hot weather long sleeved top to wear underneath it and then shorts and gloves.

Rain at that temperature would have been an issue as you say. Not bad forecast really. Will have thermals and a down jacket in my drop off bag.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Which trainers? Did I see you in Nike Vaporfly 4% at £200 a pair on Strava? Many devotees and pbs at my running club.

Yep I took the hit and bought some Vaporfly 4% Flynits a few weeks ago. Ridiculous price. They feel very fast though. There's a carbon fibre plate in the midsole which feels like you have a tiny little spring board inside, giving you great energy return and propelling you forward. Eliud Kipchoge and Mo run in them. I've only worn them for races (Big Half London and Manchester marathon) because they have zero durability. I've only put 50 miles in them so far and they're already starting to show signs of wear & tear. A lot of people have questioned it and say it's shoe tech doping but all the major shoe brands are now working on their own versions of a carbon fibre plate shoe. Hoka have recently released theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here