Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, I was consistently waking up at 5am every day because of a certain girl who would invade my dreams. I couldn't sleep, so I got out for an early run. I lived very close to the Promenade so it was the obvious choice really. I quickly got into it and it escalated from there, I started running every lunch time at work and for a while I was running a few miles every morning then a few more at lunch. One day I was up and out before 4am, I ran 14 miles and then went to work. Another day I'd done a 30odd mile cycle before an 8am start. For a couple of weeks I was working 6am-6pm every day. That in itself did more harm in a way, the girl was someone I work with. Well, her and the girl from Swindon combined really. It was a negative which turned into a positive and now almost a reliance. Work has been stressful recently which ironically is having the opposite effect, I can't wake up in the morning at all so I'm consistently late but can't wait to leave and I've even found myself doing the classic thing of breaking up the day with extended toilet breaks. I took Friday off partly because of the Wednesday game, partly because I was playing a football tournament in Leicester on saturday and partly because I had to get away. I nearly called in sick monday, I was fine and would have run at least a half marathon distance but I got my head down and soldiered on. I've been in a bad place mentally for a few weeks, not the worst place, but pretty bad so I shall be running a lot more in the coming weeks but with something genuine to look forward to, San Sebastian Marathon in November is being combined with a weekend in the Basque part of Spain with a couple of friends.

Ironically, I tend to find that when I'm in a negative place I tend to post more on here and I'm far more inflammatory than I mean to be. Inevitably there's a consequence and it's a negative cycle. It's time for me to shut up a bit, take a rest from getting involved and try to disengage the hyperactivity in my mind.

Lastly, you held the Guinness well but your mate was definitely showing the signs!

Good luck Ninj.,

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I only got into running to help my mental health issues, made a massive difference in my life and I love running now. It's smashing therapy and I recommend it to all.
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - parkrun has come to you, no excuses!

I too run to help my mental heath issues :)

Hang on, is there a Worthing parkrun now? I really miss the Hove Park one since I moved away.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Blimey, my posting about the therapeutic potential of a run got some interesting responses. A guniuine thanks for all contributions. Now let's crack-on with the activity itself and a key reason we do it: to beat our PB and other -preferably younger, in my case - *******s, and then share our triumphs (or travails) on NSC!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well spotted I blame the wife. :dunce:

Shame that was [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's day off. Have to be a stroll on the prom run instead.

Prom run sounds good to me. Flatter - though in my one and only encounter with the Hove Park hill I loved it.

I really started running because of my physical health rather than mental but I do find running a massive stress buster. It's like nothing else matters. It's also why I never run with headphones / music. I like to be in my own headspace and enjoy the sights and sounds of whatever's occurring.

Sorry to hear your sad news GNT.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Am in Paignton (Devon) allegedly working. Managed to get in a run along the coastal path. Hardly any other runners around especially compared to Worthing/Brighton. Reminds me of when I stayed in Poland a few years back in a very large town: didn't see a single runner for a week (but lots of gym monsters). There's no Parkrun for miles.
All this plus the addition of yet another Parkrun (Worthing) in our area is inclining me to the view that we live in a bit of a running hotbed.
Any similar - or contrasting - views from those NSC runners on tour?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Am in Paignton (Devon) allegedly working. Managed to get in a run along the coastal path. Hardly any other runners around especially compared to Worthing/Brighton. Reminds me of when I stayed in Poland a few years back in a very large town: didn't see a single runner for a week (but lots of gym monsters). There's no Parkrun for miles.
All this plus the addition of yet another Parkrun (Worthing) in our area is inclining me to the view that we live in a bit of a running hotbed.
Any similar - or contrasting - views from those NSC runners on tour?

I'm from Devon originally and my folks still live there. I obviously go out for a run or two when I visit, I can't remember seeing a single runner when I've done that in the last few years. I know the population density where they are is less than around here but it's a stark contrast. Think the nearest parkrun to Paignton might be Killerton (lovely setting - National Trust) or poss in Plymouth. From Burgess Hill I've got several within a 20 min drive.

I travel a fair amount with work. Hotspot for running on my regular travel locations is New York (Central Park is mobbed from 5am every day, and the river path similar). Mexico City is surprisingly well populated with runners too. Never see any in Dubai, and in Hong Kong there are loads at the weekend at the Peak, mostly doing the short 3m loop on tarmac at the top, and missing on on the awesome Hong Kong Trail that starts there and winds it's way up and down the hillside through forests on a mix of terrain.

Wonder if [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] saw any when he went for a jog in Boro ???

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm from Devon originally and my folks still live there. I obviously go out for a run or two when I visit, I can't remember seeing a single runner when I've done that in the last few years. I know the population density where they are is less than around here but it's a stark contrast. Think the nearest parkrun to Paignton might be Killerton (lovely setting - National Trust) or poss in Plymouth. From Burgess Hill I've got several within a 20 min drive.

I travel a fair amount with work. Hotspot for running on my regular travel locations is New York (Central Park is mobbed from 5am every day, and the river path similar). Mexico City is surprisingly well populated with runners too. Never see any in Dubai, and in Hong Kong there are loads at the weekend at the Peak, mostly doing the short 3m loop on tarmac at the top, and missing on on the awesome Hong Kong Trail that starts there and winds it's way up and down the hillside through forests on a mix of terrain.

Wonder if [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] saw any when he went for a jog in Boro ???

Thanks Dazzer: interesting stuff. You are clearly much more well-travelled than me (I don't get out much!). A related thought is not just on the number of runners (quantity) but also on the quality. The only way to tell this is by looking at (or even better taking part in) events elsewhere. I've only ever done this once, in Canada about 20 years ago. I did a 10K and was surprised at how good the standard was compared with back home.
So again, do any others have experience of this?
(There is a site called 'Cool Running' which collates results of loads of events in the USA. Some (many) of these show a poor standard......such that many of us could rock up to Hicksville and walk away as winners.............!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another born Devonian here but I escaped in 1960. Brighton is a hotbed for running and other forms of fitness. I wouldn't underestimate the yanks though. Running is massive away from the redneck Hicksville areas. Places, such as Arizona, with the Sun Birds emigrating from cold northern winters are full of runners that make you and I youngsters. America has many middle of nowhere events where people arrive from all over to run a marathon, or whatever, before heading back home again. Unlike Dazzer I didn't see a single jogger on my weekend near Central Park. This may have had something to do with it being a quiet Martin Luther King holiday weekend and January max temps of -15C!

Vancouver had hundreds of runners all day as @Stoneham Park is probably experiencing now. Almeria in Spain had a Brighton feel to sport (Ulloa was playing there before Brighton). Surprising places to see lots of runners have been Mumbai along Chowpatty Beach and Pondicherry.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another born Devonian here but I escaped in 1960. Brighton is a hotbed for running and other forms of fitness. I wouldn't underestimate the yanks though. Running is massive away from the redneck Hicksville areas. Places, such as Arizona, with the Sun Birds emigrating from cold northern winters are full of runners that make you and I youngsters. America has many middle of nowhere events where people arrive from all over to run a marathon, or whatever, before heading back home again. Unlike Dazzer I didn't see a single jogger on my weekend near Central Park. This may have had something to do with it being a quiet Martin Luther King holiday weekend and January max temps of -15C!

Vancouver had hundreds of runners all day as @Stoneham Park is probably experiencing now. Almeria in Spain had a Brighton feel to sport (Ulloa was playing there before Brighton). Surprising places to see lots of runners have been Mumbai along Chowpatty Beach and Pondicherry.

By coincidence my 10K was near Vancouver............

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well spotted I blame the wife. :dunce:

Shame that was [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's day off. Have to be a stroll on the prom run instead.

I thought it was tomorrow, too!

As it happens, I've finally decided it's time to branch out from HP, so I'm open to suggestion for the 28th. Worthing sounds good - finish line is next to where a good friend of mine has just started bootcamp sessions, too...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I thought it was tomorrow, too!

As it happens, I've finally decided it's time to branch out from HP, so I'm open to suggestion for the 28th. Worthing sounds good - finish line is next to where a good friend of mine has just started bootcamp sessions, too...

Hove Park tomorrow then? I am away on the 28th - Worthing only starts two weeks afterwards and is the week after the 10k there.

Of the other reasonably local parkruns I've done I'd say Tilgate is the one I like the best.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Park tomorrow then? I am away on the 28th - Worthing only starts two weeks afterwards and is the week after the 10k there.

Of the other reasonably local parkruns I've done I'd say Tilgate is the one I like the best.

I'm returning from the lay off tomorrow. Told not to run yet but a 28" 5k should be a safe compromise.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm returning from the lay off tomorrow. Told not to run yet but a 28" 5k should be a safe compromise.

See you there. I'll be taking it easy-ish – 50-mile bike ride on Sunday...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in Dubai next week. At 40 degrees plus it will be treadmill only :-D

That's why Riyadh is better for running. Little humidity. Hotter days at 45c high temp but cooler nights of 24-27C due to the desert and the 2,000 foot plateau Riyadh is on. Lovely running in the desert before 8am.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm aiming for Hove Park rather than the Prom tomorrow. Looks likely my local Park Run will change to Preston Park from June 4th so this is my last opportunity for a while.

Bought a new Garmin Forerunner 610 today £130 half price from Sweat Shop, looking forward to using it this weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here