Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
God knows what my body fat % is but I went for 20%. Using that the calculator reckons 155 pounds or just over 11 stone. I'm 6ft tall and have never been under 12 stone in my adult life. As I'm currently 13 stone then 12 splits the difference also so that's something to aim for. I'll have to stop devouring the entire contents of the fridge after every run though. I may have given up booze but with 29 miles in the tank since Sunday I can't stop ruddy eating.

Where does a 23.27 5k by a 13 stone bloke with a newly found cheese addiction sit in the NSC weight grading?

Hard to break this to you but your best bet is to eat cheese for 2 weeks, put on a stone and take this weeks 5k time. You may then scrape into third behind Greg Bobkin and Dazzer6666.
Seriously now is a time to eat as you switch from not drinking and upping the mileage. Work out the required food intake in a few weeks.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some figures................not sure how reliable but maybe illustrative?

Typical average body fat for athletes male female
Distance runners 5-10% 10-16%
Elite marathon runners 3-5% 9-12%
Sprinters 5-12% 12-18%
Jumpers & hurdlers 6-13% 12-20%
Olympic gymnasts 5-8% 11-14%
Bodybuilders, contest condition 3-5% 8-12%
Bodybuilders, off season 6-12% 13-18%
Soccer players 7-12% 10-18%
Baseball/softball players 10-14% 12-18%
Pro basketball players 7-12% 10-16%
NSC Runners ???%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By the way. I've booked an appointment with this Jesus fella.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I checked mine this morning I'm at 18.9% which is close to what I though I'd be (I estimated 19% when entering my details in the ideal body weight calculator)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sprinters 5-12% 12-18%
NSC Runners ???%

I think these percentages are from skin calliper tests. Still interesting, especially bodybuilders contesting at 3%. Blobby Zamora may have trouble fitting into the football players range of 7-12%.
If they were BMI percentages I would be looking to lose over 8st and be a trim 3st. :eek::eek:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Sprinters 5-12% 12-18%
NSC Runners ???%

Well, according to my scales I'm at 19% currently, but that'll drop to 18.something when I get back down to about 11 and a half stone.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am 5' 9" and 11s 10lbs. Usually 11s 3lbs by marathon starting day. A peak weight for me is 10s 10lbs to 10s 7lbs but haven't worked to that for 5 years.

Now if we forget Age Grading and do a Weight Grading (weight/time ratio) we would so far have:
Greg Bobkin winning with a very fast 5k to current 15s.
Dazzer 6666 in second 12s8lbs + Christmas and a sub 20 5k
Then me at 11s 10lbs followed by GNT at a 10s 3lbs.

Imagine handicap racing with weights to even us out..........

#Winning :lol:

50% ??! Even after Christmas I'm not at that..........if you're skinny it'll be 10% ish. Mine is about 18% I think.

I really haven't got a clue – I'm going to have another go at figuring it out.

Did you change the age scale? I got a stone less at first calculating as a 20 year old.
Having seen you, I must say you would be an exception to the calculation. Without meaning to be rude :) you are built like an ox rather than having 15s of fat. Your bones alone probably weigh more than my entire body.

Thanks. I think! :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Mrs just explained BMI http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx I am 24 but will be 21 next month..

Using your calculator, I'm 27.5 (now weighing in at 14st 7lb). Using the racing weight tool, it reckons my racing weight should be 162lbs (11 stone something...), Still much less than I ever would get to, but I'm thinking that calculator doesn't take build into account – As you say, I'm more Ox than Gazelle!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Good luck, let us know how it goes.......

So, it's the morning after.

I parked up the hill opposite the marina and then jogged to the King Alfred and back.

It was SLOW (I'm talking 10 min miles) but I'm delighted to say I didn't stop jogging. My worry was the cold would tighten my chest (mild asthma) but fitness and breathing was fine.

My hips however. Oh my word. 1 mile from my car I was in actual agony. Both hims felt like they were grinding and today I can barely walk.

Still, a good start, 7.5miles and I know that fitness isn't the issue but physical pain in joints. Also BOREDOM. God I was bored.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So, it's the morning after.

I parked up the hill opposite the marina and then jogged to the King Alfred and back.

It was SLOW (I'm talking 10 min miles) but I'm delighted to say I didn't stop jogging. My worry was the cold would tighten my chest (mild asthma) but fitness and breathing was fine.

My hips however. Oh my word. 1 mile from my car I was in actual agony. Both hims felt like they were grinding and today I can barely walk.

Still, a good start, 7.5miles and I know that fitness isn't the issue but physical pain in joints. Also BOREDOM. God I was bored.

This is pretty impressive in many ways (ability to withstand pain, motivation and your fitness) but does rather prompt the question of why put yourself through such a painful experience? (Was it a bet? A specific ambition?) Hope you recover quickly (no lasting damage) but I'm not quite sure where you go after this other than to the ice-pack. You will find you are among kindred spirits on this thread as many 'overdo it' to varying degrees - but I think you are at the far end of this spectrum!

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Managed to get out for a 10miler this morning from the bandstand to Rottingdean and back along the underpass. Some cracking waves breaking down there. Adds a little drama to the proceedings. Around 7'41/mile as well which ain't too bad.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I've been suffering with a bit of knee and hip jip and thought I would give BUPA a go. I've had it at work for six or seven years and never got round to using it presuming there would be all manner of exemptions / charges. The service is quite good - had a half hour call with a physio and he sent me a series of exercises to try with a follow up call in 12 days time, can refer me for up to 5 sessions without having to go back to BUPA for approval. I realise that's not as good as a one to one session, but not a bad second option if you've got BUPA (and don't have too big an excess / have already paid it for the year), relatively painless administratively as well, and no need for a GP referral.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Managed to get out for a 10miler this morning from the bandstand to Rottingdean and back along the underpass. Some cracking waves breaking down there. Adds a little drama to the proceedings. Around 7'41/mile as well which ain't too bad.

Good effort. How was the underpass for surface water? I'm considering a long run through there tomorrow.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I could do with a bit of advice. I'm a couple of weeks into my training plan for Brighton marathon.
I've been reading about experimenting with energy gels bars prior to the race. I've used the SIS gels already but wasn't too keen on the texture.
Anyone got any ideas on other brands and where to get them?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I could do with a bit of advice. I'm a couple of weeks into my training plan for Brighton marathon.
I've been reading about experimenting with energy gels bars prior to the race. I've used the SIS gels already but wasn't too keen on the texture.
Anyone got any ideas on other brands and where to get them?

I carry jelly babies in a little plastic bag in a pocket on marathon day plus the sports drink on offer, and train taking nothing but water.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I carry jelly babies in a little plastic bag in a pocket on marathon day plus the sports drink on offer, and train taking nothing but water.

This. From my experience, if youve eaten and hydrated well during the week prior a race then you shouldnt be reliant on gel, energy drinks etc.. I only keep jelly babes for the end if you need it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here