Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is increasing evidence behind some starved training to increase fat burning ability (not for weight loss but metabolic economy) is useful but only 1 or 2 sessions a week.

This just involves lower intensity exercise in the morning with no breakfast. Also no carbs for first 1-2 hours depending on existing fitness.

The intensity has to be low as high intensity workouts should be done with good care stores to maximise training effect.

Also, it's suggested not to eat in a 2 hour window before training as you may be in the post-carb dip as you begin training. Of course, life gets in the way of the ideal!

Fuelling on long runs is a matter of preference but the body is limited to processing about 60g carbs an hour (about 3 gels).
Agree with this. I like doing my long runs empty but these are low intensity. For anything else I really struggle unless I leave at least a 2 hour gap, stomach won't settle.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Really interesting reading everyones comments about nutrition before runs, something that im still trying to get right on my training runs..but not so much before a race.

Before a race i mainly eat and drink well for the week before the event, plenty of carbs, 'good' fats etc up till wed/thurs then eat light from thursdayy onwards then from 5/6 in the morn of event small poridge and small bagel dripping in butter and peanut butter and coffee and water..Then nothing midway through the event.. apart from sips of water at checkpoints and a salted caramel gu gel near the end.. seems to work.

training runs in the evening are a different story..some runs are great, others i get a bloated feeling and a strange, what i can only descride as an uncomfortable knocking feeling in my lower back..which i think is compacted food or something...delightful!.. anyways yeah sorry for long post..abit tired!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More good info coming back from the Strava pace zones. Decided to run a timed 36 minute recovery run this morning (the reason for the odd choice being an attempt at 6kms at 6.00 min per km pace). However, most important thing was spending the time getting Sunday out of my legs and deliberately trying to run at endurance pace (Z2). Worked pretty well. (It shows as 35.54 as I have autopause set on Strava and I went inland so more roads).

First outing for the waterproof top and gloves since about March. Weren't really needed apart from the start though.

1 a runpace.JPG

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ventured up Truleigh Hill for my 10.4-miler in the dark, came back down when it was light. Just over a month since I last ran this route (with more long plods than speedwork inbetween) and only 10 seconds off that time, (48.43 vs 48:33), which I was happy with.

What was also quite pleasing was that miles 4, 5 and 6 were all faster, so that must mean something and stamina or somesuch!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/907300518

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Enjoyed my 6 mile recovery run in fresh 7 degree temperatures at 6:45 AM. Aim now is to run Hove Prom Park Run in sub 19 Saturday, hopefully conditions will be ok.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Enjoyed my 6 mile recovery run in fresh 7 degree temperatures at 6:45 AM. Aim now is to run Hove Prom Park Run in sub 19 Saturday, hopefully conditions will be ok.

Good luck with that! I'll be back in the Park Run groove after this weekend I suspect - though my more modest aim is probably sub-19:30.

Today I ran my last run before the Barns Green Half, tried to keep it relaxed and short - 2.5 miles in 17 minutes something (I've not connected the watch up yet). Just stretches, planks, and a maybe bit of lunchtime walking between now and Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Was the temperature really that low? I was back by then, and it certainly didn't seem like single figures. Good luck for Saturday. I'll probably be back at Hove Park, having missed a couple of weeks. Not got a target, which sometimes works in my favour.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Was going to have another easy paced five miler with my mate but he texted to say he was chundering. Instead I did the 4 * 5 intervals with 2 min jog cool down again, running my fastest 1k ever in the process. At the end I wanted to chunder too.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Was going to have another easy paced five miler with my mate but he texted to say he was chundering. Instead I did the 4 * 5 intervals with 2 min jog cool down again, running my fastest 1k ever in the process. At the end I wanted to chunder too.

Seriously impressed by anyone who takes their training that far. Never been near the 'chunder threshold' myself and feel like I've given myself an easy ride!
Will be trying the Preston Park PR tomorrow - not my debut on the course (but only done it once before - and got a PB) but this could be my chunder debut? Will be looking for 21.00 but probably finding 21:25.......................

In terms of discomfort, I recall a half marathon in (hilly) North Devon a few years back when the weather changed markedly throughout the run from very cool to uncomfortably warm. By the end of it there were runners strewn around with some needing a bit medical help. I was almost one of them and felt pretty groggy.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ventured up Truleigh Hill for my 10.4-miler in the dark, came back down when it was light. Just over a month since I last ran this route (with more long plods than speedwork inbetween) and only 10 seconds off that time, (48.43 vs 48:33), which I was happy with.

What was also quite pleasing was that miles 4, 5 and 6 were all faster, so that must mean something and stamina or somesuch!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/907300518

So astonished at your time that checked your Garmin to find - with some relief to be honest - that you meant 10.4 kms. But just for a moment I thought we had something really special on the thread! (Not that you time wasn't really respectable anyway.)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Seriously impressed by anyone who takes their training that far. Never been near the 'chunder threshold' myself and feel like I've given myself an easy ride!
Will be trying the Preston Park PR tomorrow - not my debut on the course (but only done it once before - and got a PB) but this could be my chunder debut? Will be looking for 21.00 but probably finding 21:25.......................

In terms of discomfort, I recall a half marathon in (hilly) North Devon a few years back when the weather changed markedly throughout the run from very cool to uncomfortably warm. By the end of it there were runners strewn around with some needing a bit medical help. I was almost one of them and felt pretty groggy.

It's a measure of naively over-estimating my own fitness rather than dedication :lolol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Will be volunteering at Hove Park on Saturday - looks like I am down to hand out finish tokens - could hold a few back so you can get PBs for a small fee :blush:!

Then on to Barns Green on Sunday - weather looking great, cool and bright -looking forward to it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So astonished at your time that checked your Garmin to find - with some relief to be honest - that you meant 10.4 kms. But just for a moment I thought we had something really special on the thread! (Not that you time wasn't really respectable anyway.)

Oops. Sorry - so used to working in miles, that I sometimes get the two mixed up :blush:

I'm working towards sub 5min/miles, but I'm not hopeful!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No Barnes Green tomorrow. Should have got my act together, but got kids football anyway.

Thanks [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for the support at parkrun this morning. After a quite remarkable 3:50 first km, I finished up with 21.09 - best time for 2015 and 15 seconds off PB. It's getting closer.

Hope the rest of you have good runs tomorrow - Barns Green or elsewhere. Day off for me - I'm gonna do my last long run in the week at the time of the IOW marathon start ahead of the race itself.

Then I'll get back to concentrating on the short stuff and go sub 21 😂

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Probably the first one out. Due to wife being away and kids football I ran yesterday afternoon while my mum had the kids. Was aiming for a half marathon despite having helped run a football training session in the morning and took jelly babies for energy which definitely helped. Set the watch for my target marathon pace of 10 minute miles which I stuck to most of the way round until dropping off in the last two miles. Probably forgivable given that when I checked the health app on the phone I had run / walked / stepped 33km in all for the day by the time I checked the Bolton result at 5.

Would have loved to have done Barnes Green but kids' football calls for me too. Good luck to everyone running today wherever.

BTW after Bright10 I will be doing a bit of hill training for Mince Pie combined with longer road runs testing various energy sources ahead of "proper" marathon training in January. I am tempted to try chocolate covered peanuts..............................

............because I think they'll work a Treat :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great day for the Barns Green half. Hope all do well.
21:14 for me in Preston Park PR. Reasonably happy with that. Nice course and the team behind the scenes get the results out very fast.

Different topic but absolutely gutted watching England succumb to the Welsh last night. Used to live in Wales and remember the triumphalism when they regularly used to stuff us back in the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here