Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Trundled around the Lunar-Tic marathon last night. Shoreham to Bramber and back along the river 3 times starting at 8pm. First lap was in fading light, managed to get half way to Bramber on the second lap before torching up. Cracking event, all very low key but very friendly, aid stations at Shoreham and Bramber and a nice medal at the end. Happy enough with time after a rubbish 6 weeks following the SDW100 failure and as usual with trail runs, almost no stiffness this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/354178946

Glad you're back on track.
Walking on Downs yesterday behind Woodingdean we stumbled upon a Ghurka fuelling station 10k or so from the Brighton Race Course finish of the 100k Ghurka run. Had a pleasant chat with the 4 Ghurkas and Watford squaddie, whilst the dog rummaged in their rubbish bag. Happy to hear all of the Nepalese and their families had had no problems from the earthquake in May. Then saw the 4 front runners come through in just over 8 hours. Three of them Ghurkas.
You lot are mad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trundled around the Lunar-Tic marathon last night. Shoreham to Bramber and back along the river 3 times starting at 8pm. First lap was in fading light, managed to get half way to Bramber on the second lap before torching up. Cracking event, all very low key but very friendly, aid stations at Shoreham and Bramber and a nice medal at the end. Happy enough with time after a rubbish 6 weeks following the SDW100 failure and as usual with trail runs, almost no stiffness this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/354178946

Sounds brilliant. Take it the injury's sorted now?

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Just ran for the first time since new years' day and feel great.

4.86m in 42.12 with 08.41 split - Canal Street to Old Trafford along the Bridgewater Canal Towpath which has all been smartened up since I last used it.

Macclesfield half on 27 Sep and I'm looking for a 8m split.

New kicks too :) ... We have a Nike outlet up here so got them for £37

nike-flyknit-lunar2-pink-royal-2.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
11k run to finish off a triathlon today, managed around 45 minutes in howling wind and rain off road, however...

As it's my 2nd tri I thought I'd go the "no socks route". Whoops, despite liberal tape and grease application, my feet were a bloody mess at the end. In quite soe discomfort now on tops, heels and insteps!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As seems traditional I am the last one to check in on a Sunday.

I've just tried to stretch out the distance again for the first time with a 10-miler.

It seemed to go OK - I picked up both 10km and 10m PBs en route - born by only a few seconds though, I think.

The middle toe on my right foot has got a bit messed up again in my new GTS15s even with my Twin Skin socks on. If I'd been running a half I'd have been massively struggling again. This is a bit of a worry.

(Edit: Oh, and as seems to be traditional on this thread now, I should counter a good performance with an excuse that indicates it could have been so much better. I wolfed down a massive plate of spag bol at 6:30 which was sitting heavy on my stomach.)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not quite last bozza. Good park run yesterday at hove park around 20:50 and then 10 miles this morning on my favourite route from ditchling beacon over to Lewes and back in 1:31. Enjoyed in despite getting very wet on the way back - there's something great about running on top of the downs in the wind and rain.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not quite last bozza. Good park run yesterday at hove park around 20:50 and then 10 miles this morning on my favourite route from ditchling beacon over to Lewes and back in 1:31. Enjoyed in despite getting very wet on the way back - there's something great about running on top of the downs in the wind and rain.

I knew someone would come back with a post like yours!

I was sitting on the doorstep having just completed my run however - I think I'm generally the last one out on the roads on a Sunday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

20:40 you got. 1:21 faster than my 22:01. I am still running backwards whilst your heading towards a park pb.
I plan to spend August drinking at the cricket and running around 22 minutes 5ks before building up for a September 5th Parkrun at full veins on head bursting effort. Anyone else interested? We can choose Hove Park or Prom nearer the date.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
20:40 you got. 1:21 faster than my 22:01. I am still running backwards whilst your heading towards a park pb.
I plan to spend August drinking at the cricket and running around 22 minutes 5ks before building up for a September 5th Parkrun at full veins on head bursting effort. Anyone else interested? We can choose Hove Park or Prom nearer the date.

I'd be tempted to try and tag onto someone running 22 mins to see if I can hold on. I can't see me being any faster than that over the next few months given my recent big gain, although one thing that has repeatedly surprised me over the last 6 months is how times I thought I just wouldn't be capable of, possibly ever, become possible.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On the 5th September I will be running under 21 minutes, so can't help you there. Will be able to pace 15th and 22nd August but they are both away fixture days. Otherwise not around until end of October as driving to Iceland and Faroes for 6 weeks (managed to get that in!).

To pace it would have to be Hove Prom's flat course. Hove park is difficult to run to a pace due to the hill.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'd be tempted to try and tag onto someone running 22 mins to see if I can hold on. I can't see me being any faster than that over the next few months given my recent big gain, although one thing that has repeatedly surprised me over the last 6 months is how times I thought I just wouldn't be capable of, possibly ever, become possible.

I have been a 22 pacer a few times if you can't find anyone likeable to do it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
After a weeks enforced rest I had another crack at my 8.6 mile circuit today, with NSCs sage wisdom about hills ringing in my ears. I upped the ante by setting the pace zone on my watch to 7:10 - 7:20 minute miles, then I kept it easy on the flat and descent, and then attacked the hills with high cadence and aimed to keep my pace in the zone (the watch gives you a nudge when you're running too slow).

The net result was that I ran the route over a minute quicker than last week with an average pace of 7:13. I'm pleased with that, its progress. I'll now see if I can actually get my hill repeats session in on Wednesday!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Yes 20:40 official time but my friend and I both reckon we were 10 secs slower than their times. Still a good time especially with the wind against us.

Sept 5th ok for me but will be 3 weeks before Barnes green HM so might have started to slow down by then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes 20:40 official time but my friend and I both reckon we were 10 secs slower than their times. Still a good time especially with the wind against us.

Sept 5th ok for me but will be 3 weeks before Barnes green HM so might have started to slow down by then.

Glad to hear you will start to slow down! My watch time was bang on the official time on Saturday so they must have sorted it out by finisher 91.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's surprising how quickly your times tumble. My first Parkrun in July of last year, I was absolutely tanked after a 23:24. I was ran it with a friend and wanted to impress her with my pace as much as possible, so almost died! My 19:42 of a couple of weeks ago would have been absolutely unthinkable then. I'm preparing for the Isle of Wight Half Marathon on the 16th August, fully intending to find a 1:30:00!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I might be up for this, after a couple of months of ultra stuff/rest/niggles I need to get back on schedule. Having this as a target might help.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I may be around on 5th September, but there's no way I'll be under 21 mins – unless I have an amazingly good August training!

Missed out on a long run Sunday, so made up for it with a half-marathon yesterday morning (I was aiming for 10 miles, but ran too far east!). Getting the hang of these negative splits, and hopefully getting quicker overall. But with IOW marathon looming in 11 weeks, it's not really all about the speed for me for a while...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My September 5th run is unlikely to beat any records but I like setting up a day where I put in 100%. A run where you think you have had enough after a kilometre. As @ Dazzer says it gives a little target to make sure I don't sit on my a*** all August.

At the moment my pace is down, anything over 5 miles is hard and I am full of niggles. So a lot more Downs walking and gentle running for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here