Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry about the formatting - I tried to edit it, but it still looks shite!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good running plan. Similar to mine.

5k Parkrun at close to full effort followed by 8 miles hill running on the Sundays. This then knackers me. So 5 mile Downs walk on Monday. Tuesday rest. Wednesday intervals. Thursday very easy 5 mile recovery. Friday rest. Repeat ad nauseam.

It's been much more fun than my marathon training to plod plan. It is also the first year I have done any running In the Summer after the Brighton Marathon. Yesterday was a new experience a 10k consisting of 25x200m sprints with 200m recovery on Hove Lawns.

:thumbsup:

Ouch!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can usually run c.30 seconds per mile quicker in a race than on my own. If you can get down to 1.15 in practice you might threaten 1 hour 10 or at least get close to it.

Hmm, not so sure I can cut an extra 30 seconds off per mile, even in a race environment. Maybe for the first five miles, but not for the whole lot - not at the moment! We'll see though. That race is the week after IOW marathon, and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. At the moment, I'm telling myself I'll be happy with 1hr 20, but a summer of training might mean I have to re-adjust that and I might be closer to 1hr 15 - who knows!

Anyway, rest day tomorrow, ready for parkrun on Saturday. Who's at Hove Park this week?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good running plan. Similar to mine.

5k Parkrun at close to full effort followed by 8 miles hill running on the Sundays. This then knackers me. So 5 mile Downs walk on Monday. Tuesday rest. Wednesday intervals. Thursday very easy 5 mile recovery. Friday rest. Repeat ad nauseam.

It's been much more fun than my marathon training to plod plan. It is also the first year I have done any running In the Summer after the Brighton Marathon. Yesterday was a new experience a 10k consisting of 25x200m sprints with 200m recovery on Hove Lawns.

That last bit sounds hideous!

Anyway, I think I need to introduce some intervals back into my running, as I've just signed up for the Barns Green Half in order to provide myself with a bit of motivation!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Barnes Green- good choice- super organised event, through closed country lanes and a bit of gentle off road. Can't decide between this and Tonbridge HM which is a newer event and sounds similar. Anyone done this?

Mainly been training in the gym for last couple of weeks, tread mill intervals and core strengthening, hoping this will pay off at Parkrun and Phoenix. So yes I'll be at Hove Park Saturday and planning something longer for early on Sunday.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes Green- good choice- super organised event, through closed country lanes and a bit of gentle off road.

I said I'd run with a mate of mine whose brother lives there, so a natural choice. In reality I suspect I'm a bit quicker than my mate (knowing the results of his last two Barns Green runs) so I'll end up 'pacing' him (or meeting him at the finish).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The 25x200m intervals are not horrendous. It takes 50m to get up to speed run 110m and then you can cruise with 40m to go. The 200m recovery is then fantastic recovery time. Followed by a wallow in the sea to help remove any residue crap left in the muscles.

I feel good today from it. Better than the day after hill running.

I will be at the Park Saturday, as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Barnes Green- good choice- super organised event, through closed country lanes and a bit of gentle off road. Can't decide between this and Tonbridge HM which is a newer event and sounds similar. Anyone done this?

Mainly been training in the gym for last couple of weeks, tread mill intervals and core strengthening, hoping this will pay off at Parkrun and Phoenix. So yes I'll be at Hove Park Saturday and planning something longer for early on Sunday.

Could be tempted by Barns Green – when is it? I really enjoyed it last year, even though I wasn't expect those hills, and it was chuffing hot.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Starting an hour earlier this year because of the heat last year which will help. You're right about the hills - for a course that starts and finishes at the same point there is a remarkable amount of uphill and very little downhill, it's as if MC Escher designed the course!
Tonbridge is the week after I think.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Starting an hour earlier this year because of the heat last year which will help. You're right about the hills - for a course that starts and finishes at the same point there is a remarkable amount of uphill and very little downhill, it's as if MC Escher designed the course!
Tonbridge is the week after I think.

MC Escher. I thought some NY rapper from the Sugar Hill Gang times. Then all day, at the back of my mind, why would an MC give a mountainous course. So a Google later and I know the truth. A Dutch nutty, graphic designer. His work looks brilliant. Shame it's on in Glasgow, a bit far. The Dulwich Gallery has an exhibition of some of his works in the autumn but I don't think it's the same exhibition. Going to Dulwich next month to see the Eric Ravillious exhibition and will look into this MC Rapper blokes exhibition info then. Looks rather Gormenghast.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
MC Escher. I thought some NY rapper from the Sugar Hill Gang times. Then all day, at the back of my mind, why would an MC give a mountainous course. So a Google later and I know the truth. A Dutch nutty, graphic designer. His work looks brilliant. Shame it's on in Glasgow, a bit far. The Dulwich Gallery has an exhibition of some of his works in the autumn but I don't think it's the same exhibition. Going to Dulwich next month to see the Eric Ravillious exhibition and will look into this MC Rapper blokes exhibition info then. Looks rather Gormenghast.

If you like MC Escher then you might enjoy an App called Monument Valley.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Shattered. Knackered as Prince Charles would say. Did the Parkrun this morning at full effort and time 30 seconds down. I'm thinking of chucking that hill. She's not being nice to me. Walked the Beagle 5 miles round the back of Lancing College lunchtime and could hardly get up lancing Hill. All part of the training plan after a hard 2 weeks running. Now for an easy week recovery to aim for a faster Parkrun next Saturday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hit the Preston Park Parkrun this morning for the first time in a long time. Found a 19:59, which I'm happy with but need to work on pace and core strength, felt like I had nothing else at the finish line.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I hit the Preston Park Parkrun this morning for the first time in a long time. Found a 19:59, which I'm happy with but need to work on pace and core strength, felt like I had nothing else at the finish line.

Every sub-tweny 5k counts. Hold your head up high :thumbsup:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Alright? Haven't posted here for ages.

I'm in chamonix this weekend and did the Vertical Kilometer Friday afternoon and the 23km today. The latter was probably the hardest race I've done - there was so much uphill! Anyway, it's a great set up here with about 6 races spread over 3 day. The feed stations are very well appointed!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A bottle of red for me last night and an early start for a 10 miler this morning. And two PBs! Eight miles in 1.13.58 and the full ten in 1.33.21 so taking two minutes off last week's effort. For the first four miles I was on for sub 1.30 with an 8.35 / 8.51 / 9.03 / 9.05 but as you can see I was progressively slowing down and ran mile 9 in 10.17 before pulling a 9.03 final mile out of the bag. It's actually quite frustrating because I obviously do have the speed left in the locker but not the mental strength to use it. Thinking of changing this week's hills for a progression run.

The "highlight" was being overtaken - no make that ZOOMED past - down Basin Road South by a bloke who was at least 10 years older than me who gave me a cheeky wave. I consoled myself with the thought that it may have been [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] who, having stayed up all night watching Glastonbury with his wine cellar was now taking Dazzer's 5k advice to the logical max. I'd have asked him had he not disappeared over the horizon like shit off a shovel.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
O
A bottle of red for me last night and an early start for a 10 miler this morning. And two PBs! Eight miles in 1.13.58 and the full ten in 1.33.21 so taking two minutes off last week's effort. For the first four miles I was on for sub 1.30 with an 8.35 / 8.51 / 9.03 / 9.05 but as you can see I was progressively slowing down and ran mile 9 in 10.17 before pulling a 9.03 final mile out of the bag. It's actually quite frustrating because I obviously do have the speed left in the locker but not the mental strength to use it. Thinking of changing this week's hills for a progression run.

The "highlight" was being overtaken - no make that ZOOMED past - down Basin Road South by a bloke who was at least 10 years older than me who gave me a cheeky wave. I consoled myself with the thought that it may have been [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] who, having stayed up all night watching Glastonbury with his wine cellar was now taking Dazzer's 5k advice to the logical max. I'd have asked him had he not disappeared over the horizon like shit off a shovel.

No a bottle and a bit more for me last night. Wasn't me but I have just been down there walking a Beagle. I am having 3 days off running as can feel I am on the edge of overdoing it. Wasn't it great seeing all those overnight walkers from London. They still have to get up the hill to the race course. I feel like they looked. No pain No gain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
O

No a bottle and a bit more for me last night. Wasn't me but I have just been down there walking a Beagle. I am having 3 days off running as can feel I am on the edge of overdoing it. Wasn't it great seeing all those overnight walkers from London. They still have to get up the hill to the race course. I feel like they looked. No pain No gain.

Yep I ran back against a slow tide of overnight walkers. They were even in Vale Park. That's some effort doing a night walk from London to Brighton, I'd much prefer my 6.30 am 10 mile jog!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here