Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
May I ask your BP reading @Guiness Boy? I am 130 on Systolic and 80 on Diastolic with 15 or so extra years than you. My MOT says that is an amber light but my friends say that is a girlies reading and I should be pushing 150!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

Love these runs. There are so many trails where you can head both east and west of Ditchling Beacon and manage to make a circular route. Pretty much all my runs incorporate parts of the South Downs Way and Stanmer Park. Here is one of mine:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/735108488

I think this was in the afternoon that I was met by driving rain with a head wind once I got on near the Beacon and was a little uncomfortable until I dropped back into Stanmer Woods. Would be great to see other NSCs trails around Sussex as it's much more interesting running on new routes and variations. I am definitely become a creature of habit where running is concerned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great news! Was that a "you're over 40 so we're checking you out" thing? If so, by way of coincidence, a colleague in my Bristol office told me he's just had one of those - I'd never heard of it before, but I look forward to the invite dropping through the door at some point.

My weight loss has slowed a fair bit, which is natural I guess - the first couple of stone were relatively easy to shift - but I am also more relaxed about food and drink than I was earlier in the year too. It's still going in the right direction though, which is the main thing I guess.

I changed doctors at the start of the year and went for a check up and advice when I knew I wanted to start running / exercise. With high blood pressure readings I was given a couple of follow ups and this was the 6 month one. No further check up booked and I guess if the over 40 one turns up i can now ignore it :)

Yes the last few kilos have been MUCH harder to shift. I'm not following the 5/2 diet deliberately as it seems a bit faddy but I have settled in to a routine where I eat better and don't touch booze in the week and do what I want at weekends. The first part of that equation won't survive our first Tuesday night game of the season I suspect!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
May I ask your BP reading @Guiness Boy? I am 130 on Systolic and 80 on Diastolic with 15 or so extra years than you. My MOT says that is an amber light but my friends say that is a girlies reading and I should be pushing 150!

I was over 160 and a shade away from being admitted. Today 117/68

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I was over 160 and a shade away from being admitted. Today 117/68

That's an amazing reduction, and you're now well within the healthy range. Do you put that all down to the running or other changes in diet and lifestyle?

My BP was around 135 a year or two ago, which worried me slightly, but has come down a bit since I started running. It still fluctuates quite a lot (between around 120 and 135) with time of day and what I'm doing, but average is currently 127/66, which I think is ok for someone pushing 60.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I the only one that has no idea what my blood pressure is, nor any idea what the numbers quoted above mean?!?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That's an amazing reduction, and you're now well within the healthy range. Do you put that all down to the running or other changes in diet and lifestyle?

My BP was around 135 a year or two ago, which worried me slightly, but has come down a bit since I started running. It still fluctuates quite a lot (between around 120 and 135) with time of day and what I'm doing, but average is currently 127/66, which I think is ok for someone pushing 60.

I put it down to better diet, less booze, considerably less stress at work (I was doing two people's jobs) and lots more exercise including running. Running was the key to exercise though, without that the badminton and football I now play socially every now and again would not have happened. Running is also my main source of brain relaxation, I find it de-stresses me.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Am I the only one that has no idea what my blood pressure is, nor any idea what the numbers quoted above mean?!?

Basically it'd the pressure in your arteries during heart beat and rest. Normal is seen as 120/80. Above that you start to worry to varying degrees. Too low pressure can also not be good but if you are fit you can have quite a low reading and it is completely normal. You find the same with your pulse where 60 BPM is normal, running should bring it down to 40s or early 50s. It is always good getting it checked out at some point and also nice to see how exercise really helps to keep it all low.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No. I last had it taken when I registered for a new GP, so all I know was that it was fine 5 years ago!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

@Guiness Boy has certainly had great results from running. I have just had a 3 mile jog and dip in the sea and measured my BP. Happy to see 119/70, probably from the sea temp. Like you it fluctuates up to 135 and low one down to 58. Perfectly normal to fluctuate with temperature, time of day, food intake and recent exercise. apparently.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone doing the NSC Challenge tomorrow at Hove Park or virtually?

I will wear the Brighton green stripe away shirt for any newcomers and stand dodgily around the cafe, toilets, finish line and climbing wall sort of area. A lot of people are out due to doing short 100 mile runs, looking after babies, swimming, nursing hangovers etc. I might as well try and catch [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] and try and beat my years PB of 20:30. See what happens but legs feeling heavy. Still prepared to give a 100%.
We need BigNuts and Dazzer , when he is recovered, to come up with a new date for the fast and flat Hove prom 5k Parkrun.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I will wear the Brighton green stripe away shirt for any newcomers and stand dodgily around the cafe, toilets, finish line and climbing wall sort of area. A lot of people are out due to doing short 100 mile runs, looking after babies, swimming, nursing hangovers etc. I might as well try and catch [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] and try and beat my years PB of 20:30. See what happens but legs feeling heavy. Still prepared to give a 100%.
We need BigNuts and Dazzer , when he is recovered, to come up with a new date for the fast and flat Hove prom 5k Parkrun.

I plan to be there - dont expect to be able to catch you or 7:18, will be delighted with anywhere near 21 mins at the mo. Had a bit of a rest this week and will try to keep off the ale this evening although we are out for dinner. Thinking about a programme for a few weeks for an all out PB assault (20:31) later in the summer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not for me - I'm out at the pub tonight and no intention of running tomorrow morning anywhere. I've now run for the last 14 days straight and it's beginning to tell too - I did an 8 miler last night and it was a struggle. I'm not in the league of most of you speed merchants, but I'd like to be feeling fresh enough to give a good account of myself when I give it a go.

I'd be interested later in the Summer, once #juneathon is out of the way.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I'll do it virtually at my local parkrun, Maldon Prom, I won't be troubling my PB at the moment though!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
@Guiness Boy has certainly had great results from running. I have just had a 3 mile jog and dip in the sea and measured my BP. Happy to see 119/70, probably from the sea temp. Like you it fluctuates up to 135 and low one down to 58. Perfectly normal to fluctuate with temperature, time of day, food intake and recent exercise. apparently.

Measured my RHR at 53 earlier this week

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Measured my RHR at 53 earlier this week

You know that is different to BP? Miy morning low Resting HR is 45 at present. I check it if sensing over training and cut back if it rises over 50. My wife has 60 resting but when we walk above 4000m hers stays at 60 whilst my resting shoots up to 62. Why, I haven't a clue.

Good luck on your virtual run tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, that was interesting, but not in a good way.

I went out to do the minimum possible - 5km at an easy pace but about 4km in I suddenly felt very light-headed to the point I had to slow to a walk as I was convinced I was about to keel over otherwise. It's warm and sticky out there but I wasn't pushing hard. That's the first time I've ever walked!

After walking for 200m or so, I resumed a very slow jog until I reached home.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Well, that was interesting, but not in a good way.

I went out to do the minimum possible - 5km at an easy pace but about 4km in I suddenly felt very light-headed to the point I had to slow to a walk as I was convinced I was about to keel over otherwise. It's warm and sticky out there but I wasn't pushing hard. That's the first time I've ever walked!

After walking for 200m or so, I resumed a very slow jog until I reached home.

You have bonked out (low glycogen)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here