Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
How did those running in the Worthing 10k get on? Was my first time, course couldn't have been flatter/quicker (to be expected I guess with it being Worthing seafront), but still pretty hard work in the heat. Managed a new PB of 45:51 which I'll most definitely take.

About 44:29 for me. Very enjoyable event, about 1500 entries so good size. It was pretty warm but happier with that than the windy conditions yesterday afternoon. Was hoping for 45-47 mins so pleased with my time, the course was as flat as a pancake. Capped it off by cycling home to Hove along a beautifully sunny sea front.

How did it go for you @guinessboy? - I was looking out for the ultra cool shades but did n't spot you.

matto.75

Jan 21, 2011
I did the Worthing 10k this morning, it was my first ever organised run, really enjoyed it, and finished in a time of 49.39

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just you and me then! Feeling pretty tired after a week in the gym and park run today so will just be out to enjoy tomorrow. Weather looks good and should be fun - about 1500 entries I understand. Good luck!

About 44:29 for me. Very enjoyable event, about 1500 entries so good size. It was pretty warm but happier with that than the windy conditions yesterday afternoon. Was hoping for 45-47 mins so pleased with my time, the course was as flat as a pancake. Capped it off by cycling home to Hove along a beautifully sunny sea front.

How did it go for you @guinessboy? - I was looking out for the ultra cool shades but did n't spot you.

Just out of the bath. Great event, well organised but just too hot for me to break 50. Did get a 10k and 5k PB however. Watch time of 52.27 for the 10 and 25.38 for the first 5. Just couldn't maintain the pace coming back. Can't get on the site to check chip time yet, it seems busy!!

During the last stretch of the BM10k you might remember I was outsprinted by a f***ing panda. This time I was following some very pretty lycra for about 3k before tearing past her in the last 500m. So that's one in the eye for middle aged leches everywhere.

Lots of cool shades out there today and some excellent marshalling / stewards.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wow - fantastic times all round there - congratulations everyone.

You were lucky with the wind - it was very blowy in Worthing yesterday but has eased off a lot today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The Worthing 10k site just came back up if you're interested, having been down since I got in.

Chip time 52.26 (yes I'm having that second :) ) and managed 625th place on the gun out of circa 1500 runners. I'll take that and hope that the three minutes off the PB is a constant as that'll mean breaking the 50 at the Phoenix race.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We'll done all the Worthing runners some good times and pb's.

From recollection most of the regular contributors to this thread are all signed up for the Brighton Phoenix 10k so should be interesting.

Having missed out on the Seaford half today I'm going out for a run this evening, great conditions with a light wind.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
44:28 officially for me, I'll also claim that extra second. I think it shows that taking part in events is a great way to improve your times. It gives you something to train for and, on the day itself whether it's the adrenalin, or just constantly racing the people around you, generally everyone seems to run their best times.

Whether this applies at the NSC Hove Park run challenge next Saturday remains to be seen, I'm expecting a slew of PBs (though not from me!).

Looking forward to the Phoenix 10k in July, plus the Worthing 10k has given me a discount on the Brighton 10 mile later in the year so will inevitably sign up for that too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
44:28 officially for me, I'll also claim that extra second. I think it shows that taking part in events is a great way to improve your times. It gives you something to train for and, on the day itself whether it's the adrenalin, or just constantly racing the people around you, generally everyone seems to run their best times.

Whether this applies at the NSC Hove Park run challenge next Saturday remains to be seen, I'm expecting a slew of PBs (though not from me!).

Looking forward to the Phoenix 10k in July, plus the Worthing 10k has given me a discount on the Brighton 10 mile later in the year so will inevitably sign up for that too.

My next two races as well. Think there's quite a few Brighton fans doing the Phoenix, might be an idea to suggest a post race meetup place as I will be GAGGING for a beer after an evening 10k!!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Great running everyone!

If anyone likes a bit mountain.. did anyone catch last months Transvulcania highlights today on eurosport this afternoon? Certainly on my bucket list of races.. repeated next friday i think, or on you tube if anyones interested.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My next two races as well. Think there's quite a few Brighton fans doing the Phoenix, might be an idea to suggest a post race meetup place as I will be GAGGING for a beer after an evening 10k!!

Finishes at Hove Lawns cafe so I reckon either:- Hove Place, The Brunswick or The Better Half.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The Better Half looks interesting. Funnily enough I think last time I had a drink in there was to watch the infamous abandoned England v Ireland game 20 years ago. Think it was the Red Lion then although I also remember it as the Mary Pack - used to go to the pub quiz on Sunday evenings there when I lived in Albany Villas.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another NSC Challenge! Forget the running. The Better Half would be my choice as well. Yes it was the Red Lion and Mary Pack.

Does this mean we train for drinking rather than a 10k?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a little practice 10k this evening, tried to pace it differently to usual by keeping plenty in reserve until the last 1.2 miles, left myself too much to do and just about got in bang on 43 minutes, 16 seconds below my pb. If the weather for the Phoenix is like tonight I might threaten 41 minutes if I run well.

The Better Half suits me, as it's on the way back home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A late entrant to NSC's "PB day" as I've just taken over 10 minutes off my half-marathon best.
I've no real idea how I did that today, my tenth consecutive day of running. I'll take it though!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433715299.368245.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good morning's workout.
4x 1k intervals with 2 minute recovery. 3:55, 3:50, 3:45 and 3:40.
Fastest I have been for 5 years. If only I could times that last one by 5 to get a 5k time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well at the moment, as I've just had an awful run... I suppose that is what you get for a week of eating badly at Butlins (I put on a couple of pounds), and then tiring yourself out by hosting a BBQ (with accompanying beer intake).

I've turned myself into a plodder in the space of a week - was over 30 seconds a mile slower on my usual 4.8 mile loop. :cry:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Since the Brighton marathon I've really struggled. At the start of the year I wanted to go sub 2 hours in a half marathon and sub 50 minutes in a 10k. I managed the first at the Brighton half and went 50:19 in a 10k a week later, and was feeling great. A few injuries prior to the Marathon knocked my planning and confidence and meant that I failed miserably to get near my target of 4:15.

After a couple of weeks of self loathing and reflection I put my shoes back on and have tried to go out, but struggled for motivation, so only managed about one run a week.

I've entered the #Juneathon, but every time I go out now I feel leaden footed, culminating yesterday in a 10k that took me 62 minutes. I'm totally lost for an explanation. Putting on weight hasn't helped, but something is fundamentally wrong but no idea why.

It's still better than the position 13 months ago when I decided to start running, but I'm going backwards rather than forwards at present.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well at the moment, as I've just had an awful run... I suppose that is what you get for a week of eating badly at Butlins (I put on a couple of pounds), and then tiring yourself out by hosting a BBQ (with accompanying beer intake).

I've turned myself into a plodder in the space of a week - was over 30 seconds a mile slower on my usual 4.8 mile loop. :cry:

You're not alone. I can barely run at all at the moment with a return of my hip problems.

I thought I was through the worst of it having spent a lot of time remodelling running action, increasing hip flexor flexibility and generally limiting my running but its back with a vengeance - oh well, back to the drawing board I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here