Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had an enjoyable 17.5 miles this evening set off from Brighton West Street along to Worthing and back home near King Alfred.

Clocked in at just under 2 hours 15 minutes average pace of 7 minutes 42 seconds per mile including a final half mile at 6:42 pace so definitely had something left in the tank.

Final long run next Monday before I travel to Mexico for 9 days so I'll use gym facilities there to cross train + the treadmill. Groin always feels tight around 8/10 miles so I'll take advantage of the sports massages on offer too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had an enjoyable 17.5 miles this evening set off from Brighton West Street along to Worthing and back home near King Alfred.

Clocked in at just under 2 hours 15 minutes average pace of 7 minutes 42 seconds per mile including a final half mile at 6:42 pace so definitely had something left in the tank.

Final long run next Monday before I travel to Mexico for 9 days so I'll use gym facilities there to cross train + the treadmill. Groin always feels tight around 8/10 miles so I'll take advantage of the sports massages on offer too.

Cracking effort

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very tough run - hill after bloody great big hill, with Mount Caborn (out of Glynde to Lewes) at 24 miles a very real sting in the tail. At least the finish line was at Harvey's, with free beer for the finishers. Really well organised and friendly event, recommended for 5 hours of torture of you're interested next year (I think they'll carry on with it, feedback was .

That sounds like my kind of run. Harveys Brewery at the finish line.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That pace equates to a 3:20 marathon. Brilliant.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I stuffed my knee up whilst a teensy weensy bit drunk on a bouncy castle on Saturday night.

It's the knee I had ACL reconstruction on some years back and, in truth, has never been completely right but has always been OK with non-twisting movements. It feels dull and heavy and looks a bit swollen. After a week or so of un-health and only a couple of runs, I want to get back out on it but I'm not sure whether to rest my leg for a while before I do.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I stuffed my knee up whilst a teensy weensy bit drunk on a bouncy castle on Saturday night.

It's the knee I had ACL reconstruction on some years back and, in truth, has never been completely right but has always been OK with non-twisting movements. It feels dull and heavy and looks a bit swollen. After a week or so of un-health and only a couple of runs, I want to get back out on it but I'm not sure whether to rest my leg for a while before I do.

Sounds like you need to get a bike, Bozza. Those of us with dodgy knees can continue exercising in a low impact way - and you get to see more of the countryside.

Get yourself over to Cycling Geeks.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Sounds like you need to get a bike, Bozza. Those of us with dodgy knees can continue exercising in a low impact way - and you get to see more of the countryside.

Get yourself over to Cycling Geeks.

Yeah i definatly second this.... occasionally when i get sore knees after a long stint of running i get on my bike and it seems that any discomfort seems to go.. in my case its something to do with the tracking of the knee or something.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ow.

Intervals at lunch time. 4 X 5 minutes at threshold with 90 seconds jog recovery between inside a 40 min run. I looked like Damian ****ing Duff used to in the second half of football matches before I'd reached three miles. Hanging sideways basically.

*rubs legs*

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ow.

Intervals at lunch time. 4 X 5 minutes at threshold with 90 seconds jog recovery between inside a 40 min run. I looked like Damian ****ing Duff used to in the second half of football matches before I'd reached three miles. Hanging sideways basically.

*rubs legs*

Not surprised, that is a properly tough session. I find 5 minutes intervals really hard going and with only 90s rest, the fatigue really builds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not surprised, that is a properly tough session. I find 5 minutes intervals really hard going and with only 90s rest, the fatigue really builds.

I'm on this (week seven)

http://bm10k.com/sites/default/files/imce/Beginner 10km Brighton .pdf

I think from what I've experienced so far that my basic ability to get the distance was there some time ago and the rest of the plan is now a mix of speed, conditioning and recovery. Last week was really easy. This week is going to be a bugger, though I'm planning on probably nearer 65-70 mins on Sunday as I am then off to drink most of the day at my mate's White Collar Boxing bout. The ONLY booze I'm having between now and Apr 12.

I also suspect that my threshold and yours aren't quite the same :)

Best thing though is that I jogged on after the 40 mins and then walked half a mile to cool down. As a result the pains are gone already - for now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is a saying - "it doesn't get easier, you just get quicker"!

Definitely true - if you watch the end of any race, the state of finishers gets typically worse the higher up the field. The racing snakes put at least as much effort in and usually more (as they tend to be more competitive than plodders like me).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How are the Brighton Marathononians? I feel absolutely shagged, aches and pains in every joint below the hip, lack of oomph in training and bricking it.

Then I remember this is par for the course. So an Epsom salt bath followed by a few glasses of red, an extremely gentle Hove Parkrun tomorrow and on Sunday the Hastings half marathon as part of the final long run.

Then just 3 weeks till the fun begins...............

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How are the Brighton Marathononians? I feel absolutely shagged, aches and pains in every joint below the hip, lack of oomph in training and bricking it.

Then I remember this is par for the course. So an Epsom salt bath followed by a few glasses of red, an extremely gentle Hove Parkrun tomorrow and on Sunday the Hastings half marathon as part of the final long run.

Perfectly normal....! All about trusting the programme and the positive effects of tapering (I tend to feel worse during the taper - feels like fitness is ebbing away by the day without the same schedule of 40/50/60 mile weeks).

Got the lurgy at the moment but hoping to get long runs in tomorrow and Sunday and then cut right back for 2 weeks before the SDW50 (week before Brighton). Last couple of months have been tough - mileage way above anything I've done before and harder speed sessions too.

If I can do/recover from the 50 will do Brighton as well, but only as a recovery effort so no PB.

I ran 20 miles last Sunday and although I felt utter dogshit at end at least no injuries. Will do another 20 this weekend hopefully a 22 next and that will wrap it up for me. My shorter times of 7 miles have come tumbling down so I'm happy - really hoping to avoid last years 14 mile blowup where I had to start walking a lot of it and maybe get inside 4 30 this year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here