Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great year you're having. Will you enter a winter training programme for your England debut?

My all or nothing tactic has ended in nothing. The hamstring reacted badly after Saturday. Can't even swim. As you say fine all the way round, took the first kick in pace, took the second kick in pace and failed on the final kick. I'm pulling out of my final event of the summer, the Withdean 3K. Still happy with progress this year as 4 months ago thought I'd lost speed for ever.

I will now start running on the Downs for the winter (when hamstring ready) and build up more strength. X Country and hopefully a place in The Moyleman Marathon next March.

Hopefully you can make the Weakest Link in September this year.
Sorry to hear this, but I can imagine nothing worse for the hamstring than any sort of kicking. Good to rebase and looking at longer term goals. Yes, I'm having a bit of a golden autumn I guess. In terms of upcoming events, I've got a couple of 10ks before the end of August and then others in September and then the PB potential of Worthing in October. Of course as you know better than anyone any of these plans could be blown away by a fragile body. I'd like to turn up to the England fixture in sub 43 nick, just so as not to make a fool of myself. Its Chester which is a fast course.As for Weakest Link is there a date for it as yet?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear this, but I can imagine nothing worse for the hamstring than any sort of kicking. Good to rebase and looking at longer term goals. Yes, I'm having a bit of a golden autumn I guess. In terms of upcoming events, I've got a couple of 10ks before the end of August and then others in September and then the PB potential of Worthing in October. Of course as you know better than anyone any of these plans could be blown away by a fragile body. I'd like to turn up to the England fixture in sub 43 nick, just so as not to make a fool of myself. Its Chester which is a fast course.As for Weakest Link is there a date for it as yet?

Lucky you're not running for Scoand! 16:36 5k and 34 something 10k. Gulp.

https://athleticsweekly.com/event-news/alastair-walker-sets-world-m65-5000m-record-1039959869/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nearly 500 at Worthing today. 20.40 for me which was OK.
23:52 at Hove Park after a weeks rest and careful with 8:00, 7:40, 7:17 mile splits and 6:18 run in. Ran again with short, fast strides and emphasis on the strong leg. Pushed up hill and slowed coming down. Easy peasy.

Ran with another schoolmate from the Hove Grammar X Country team 1971. Had the pleasure of seeing that he still can't get near me and nearly killed himself trying to keep up for half the run before slipping back by 2-3 minutes.

There's always someone to bully!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
23:52 at Hove Park after a weeks rest and careful with 8:00, 7:40, 7:17 mile splits and 6:18 run in. Ran again with short, fast strides and emphasis on the strong leg. Pushed up hill and slowed coming down. Easy peasy.

Ran with another schoolmate from the Hove Grammar X Country team 1971. Had the pleasure of seeing that he still can't get near me and nearly killed himself trying to keep up for half the run before slipping back by 2-3 minutes.

There's always someone to bully!

Nice one, reminding me that there was a sporting man-god in my 6th form. A few years back I recognised his name in the resuls list at Hove Park and noticed with just a little bit too much pleasure that he was about 5 minutes slower than me. (I think he emerges rather better than me from this anecdote but he bloody well would, wouldn't he?!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone doing anything special over the long weekend?
I'm having a go at a triple:
Winchester parkrun Saturday, Penrose 10k Sunday, Leominster 10k Monday. Will probably end in tears.

Runstreak days 940, 941 and 942 - does that count?!?

I went through 2,000 miles for the year a week or so back, so I'm now setting my sights on beating last year's 3,117.4 miles. I got my average mileage up to just over 9 miles/day in mid-July before I took it easy (6 miles/day) of absolute sweat-fest running in Florida for four weeks. This is my first week of stepping it back up again and I'm finding it quite tough going.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone doing anything special over the long weekend?
I'm having a go at a triple:
Winchester parkrun Saturday, Penrose 10k Sunday, Leominster 10k Monday. Will probably end in tears.

That's a tough Bank Holiday! I saw Jesus today and he claims to have got the scar tissue out from the hamstring minor tear. Says I'm ready to go.
I'll run a progressive Parkrun on Hove Prom tomorrow and a slow long run on Sunday.
Not sure if Preston Park Magic Mile is on Wednesday, if so I may do a few intervals in prep for that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's a tough Bank Holiday! I saw Jesus today and he claims to have got the scar tissue out from the hamstring minor tear. Says I'm ready to go.
I'll run a progressive Parkrun on Hove Prom tomorrow and a slow long run on Sunday.
Not sure if Preston Park Magic Mile is on Wednesday, if so I may do a few intervals in prep for that.
I will resist the temptation to try a Jesus gag. But pleased to hear that he walks among us.
How did it go?
Winchester PR (their 400th) is a nice course. Very flat on paths and grass and quite scenic. But 34 corners so not a PB course.
20.44 got me a category win and 5th place on their old git leaderboard. I had intended to take it easy before the 2x 10ks but...well you know the rest.
Magic mile, here you come?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I will resist the temptation to try a Jesus gag. But pleased to hear that he walks among us.
How did it go?
Winchester PR (their 400th) is a nice course. Very flat on paths and grass and quite scenic. But 34 corners so not a PB course.
20.44 got me a category win and 5th place on their old git leaderboard. I had intended to take it easy before the 2x 10ks but...well you know the rest.
Magic mile, here you come?
Great time for twists and turns.
Had a nice run/chat with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for 23:10. Hamstring fine but despite a steady start couldn't run it home easily. Lost a little fitness but had a heavy time 🍺 🍻 for 2 weeks.

I am Magic Mile ready, if it happens. Be a benchmark.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great time for twists and turns.
Had a nice run/chat with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for 23:10. Hamstring fine but despite a steady start couldn't run it home easily. Lost a little fitness but had a heavy time 🍺 🍻 for 2 weeks.

I am Magic Mile ready, if it happens. Be a benchmark.
Ah the costs of excess. I think you've still got more than a decent mile in you.....
Pershore 10k. Great event; can't fault anything about it.
Well just one little thing maybe: they let some ******* run it who beat me. My 43.19 would usually win the category there, but a top 30 in the UK old git turned up and handed me a good beating. I'm just hoping he doesn't find his way to Leominster tomorrow.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah the costs of excess. I think you've still got more than a decent mile in you.....
Pershore 10k. Great event; can't fault anything about it.
Well just one little thing maybe: they let some ******* run it who beat me. My 43.19 would usually win the category there, but a top 30 in the UK old git turned up and handed me a good beating. I'm just hoping he doesn't find his way to Leominster tomorrow.
I can't believe the times you're constantly achieving. Magnificent performances Benjamin Button. 👏

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks mate. 42.34 for Leominster 10k today. Slightly short course but far from the 'flat' course described. 42.34 and an old git category win.

Great time but how short is short?
I'm now set for the cricket semi tomorrow and have decided to miss the Wednesday Magic Mile to avoid any potential health issues.

Excellent hat trick weekend. 🏆 🏆 🏆

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great time but how short is short?
I'm now set for the cricket semi tomorrow and have decided to miss the Wednesday Magic Mile to avoid any potential health issues.

Excellent hat trick weekend. 🏆 🏆 🏆
Difficult to say. On my Garmin 150 metres but another guy with a bit of equipment on his wrist that was more sophisticated swore it was 10k bang on. TBH it did feel a bit short.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here