Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Excellent run old man. You must regret setting a PB AG the day before and sitting in a car to Wrexham.

I'll mention them to John Orden. :lol::lol:
Indeed!
I chatted to JO after the Hove Prom run. (I was leading him at the 1st K, BTW.)Last year he represented England in the half marathon masters at Tenby. He won, of course! So I think he knows the set up. Nice bloke, isn't he?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After GNT's great exploits I'll update on my lack of exploit. Got to Lewes early and warmed up with a compression sleeve on the hamstring. Managed to get up to sprinting speed no problem. All was just OK so I decided to give the 800m a go.
Set off at the back of the pack built up pace gradually, 200m at at 5:30 mile pace, felt very easy, stepped up the pace at 250m but felt the twinge. Stopped.
Great evening still and I spent the next 45 minutes holding one end of the Long Jump tape.

Annoying injury as it only kicks in as I reach full stride.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
After GNT's great exploits I'll update on my lack of exploit. Got to Lewes early and warmed up with a compression sleeve on the hamstring. Managed to get up to sprinting speed no problem. All was just OK so I decided to give the 800m a go.
Set off at the back of the pack built up pace gradually, 200m at at 5:30 mile pace, felt very easy, stepped up the pace at 250m but felt the twinge. Stopped.
Great evening still and I spent the next 45 minutes holding one end of the Long Jump tape.

Annoying injury as it only kicks in as I reach full stride.
Sounds like a classic hammy injury. If it makes you feel a tiny bit better there's more chance of me sleeping with the entire Swedish womens football team than hitting a 5.30 pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a classic hammy injury. If it makes you feel a tiny bit better there's more chance of me sleeping with the entire Swedish womens football team than hitting a 5.30 pace.

Any tips? I'm SB ready shame to waste it. It feels so minor and Jesus has gone to Canada to see the in laws.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Any tips? I'm SB ready shame to waste it. It feels so minor and Jesus has gone to Canada to see the in laws.
Nothing definitive. I dipped into
various YouTube sites. The consensus seemed to be that strengthening is more effective than stretching. I think you have to shop around to find something that works for you. But the speed work will always be a potential problem. Might be a good time to
rebuild that aerobic base with some slow plodding?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Buzzing a bit as tonight I clocked 4:59.03 at an open 1 mile track race (first one I’ve done).

Had a track training session last night with 300m + 200m reps and ran them all at my goal race pace (roughly 74s per 400m). Was a bit worried that although it’d felt quite easy and there was plenty of rest, that perhaps running 3000m at race pace the day before might not have been the wisest idea. But it seems to have worked perfectly, did the first 800m exactly on pace, and from then on it was just a matter of trying to hold on. Before the race I was expecting to fade to something like 5:05, so it was a bit of a surprise.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buzzing a bit as tonight I clocked 4:59.03 at an open 1 mile track race (first one I’ve done).

Had a track training session last night with 300m + 200m reps and ran them all at my goal race pace (roughly 74s per 400m). Was a bit worried that although it’d felt quite easy and there was plenty of rest, that perhaps running 3000m at race pace the day before might not have been the wisest idea. But it seems to have worked perfectly, did the first 800m exactly on pace, and from then on it was just a matter of trying to hold on. Before the race I was expecting to fade to something like 5:05, so it was a bit of a surprise.

Great end to the season Bad Ash. That's super fast. Bet you buzzed all night and are still buzzing.
��

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
New SB for the Bobkin this morning at HP. I timed it at 22:09, but official one TBC. Rather annoyingly, my 'moving time' on Strava was 21:59 and I'm not sure where the extra seconds came from [emoji38]ol:

Tried to keep up with the 22 pacer, but just didn't have it. Schoolboy error of starting down the field didn't help!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
��*♀️ ��*♀️ ��*♂️

Good running from the Bobkin. Building up for September's Weakest Link Relays.

After missing Monday's 800m with the hammy I had 3 days with Covid symptoms but tested negative every day. Better yesterday. Spent the time strengthening the hamstrings.
Today set off to the Prom without knowing if they were fixed. Set off with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] where we both got boxed in behind a wheelchair. Then I huffed and puffed my way to a progressive SB. Breathing was very difficult and I couldn't run it home. 21:32 will move me a couple of places up the table and when breathing recovered sub 21 is imminent.
Hamstring ran perfectly but it never got up to 800m pace.
Big Nuts was doing some long run/Parkrun/Long run workout. Looked hard work.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

After missing Monday's 800m with the hammy I had 3 days with Covid symptoms but tested negative every day. Better yesterday. Spent the time strengthening the hamstrings.
Today set off to the Prom without knowing if they were fixed. Set off with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] where we both got boxed in behind a wheelchair. Then I huffed and puffed my way to a progressive SB. Breathing was very difficult and I couldn't run it home. 21:32 will move me a couple of places up the table and when breathing recovered sub 21 is imminent.

All right - we heard you the first time!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
��*♀️ ��*♀️ ��*♂️

Good to see you this morning. I didn’t have a token, so unofficial time on my watch was 20:48. I’d run 9.5 miles before the start, the final 5 at 6:49 average pace. Rounded up after to around 23k. Tough going with 8+ miles at 6:45ish.

It’s pushing me towards entering the Chester Marathon on the same day as London 2nd October. I’ll make a decision next week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
��*♀️ ��*♀️ ��*♂️

Cheers! Official time confirmed as 22:09 – the elusive (these days) sub-22 will have to wait. I don't get to many parkruns these days and generally my runs are plods rather than sprints, so it was always going to be a bit of an unknown – more a case of seeing where I was at. Hopefully by WL, I'll be a bit faster and lighter!

Well done to the rest of the crew down at the prom.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Question: how much easier is running on the treadmill vs running outside?

During the heatwave I got used to running in the gym in my block of flats as it had aircon and I quite enjoyed it given you can pretty much set the pace and just run with it. However I dont want to lull myself into a false sense of security.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Question: how much easier is running on the treadmill vs running outside?

During the heatwave I got used to running in the gym in my block of flats as it had aircon and I quite enjoyed it given you can pretty much set the pace and just run with it. However I dont want to lull myself into a false sense of security.

From my limited experience of using a dreadmill, it can be easier, purely because of the reasons you mention. But, to me at least, it is SO DULL, that I end up cutting runs short because I can't be arsed with it. Plus the monotony of being in the same spot (even though you can obvs change speed, elevation, etc), bounce, noise and pretty much everything else about them means I never go near the damn things these days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here