Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't quite believe it but i've been running for nearly 2 years now. A few false starts at the beginning - its not easy at first - is it - when you're a 50something out of breath walking up the steps in the WSU (remember that !!) . Mrs CJ nudged me into it with a christmas present of a pair of Asiics and the demand that I come along to park run whilst we're up in Norwich one xmas and i folded. I staggered round that - just - i thought my chest was going to explode and i stopped. Several times. And then i gave up and never really got into it - again - until about May 2019 - when i did a few more park runs and that was it. Addicted. Started doing Regents Park circuits in my lunch break, long stretches round the lanes and paths of Chailey, Newick, Plumpton and Fletching and last December suggested by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] i think, i did my first runstreak and medal supporting that rather good "Run Up to Christmas" Lot.
Mrs CJ and the lad (who's a club runner) have also been really supportive to keep me going (choice of shoes, training plans, warm ups, routes, and enthusisam) and this thread has been great - mostly as a lurker and sometimes for some practical help when i needed it. Lots of inspirational stories.

So to 2020 - i did my first half marathon (under 2 hours - yay!) , had my first mild injury, stopped running anywhere other than er, near my house, the middle aged knees are thankfully still intact, really miss ParkRuns and i'm now in the home stretch of a 100 days to xmas runstreak - this time trying to nail 2020Km in 2020. I'm at about 1850Km today so nearly there. Day 75! in a bit.

and 2021 - Brighton marathon - why not.
Good luck NSC runners. Keep at it. and thanks for the stories, tips and recommendations. Appreciated.

Great story :thumbsup:

2021 Brighton Marathon is my target too. Now it's been moved to September I actually think it's realistic and, if I can do it, so can you!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sept ? You know you only need a 16 week block to get marathon-fit.......[emoji106][emoji16]

I need 16 weeks before that to get the beer barrel off my tummy so I can train properly though :lolol:

And I might still be in the Serpent Trail and Beachy Head as I think I deferred both :eek: :shit:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sept ? You know you only need a 16 week block to get marathon-fit.......[emoji106][emoji16]
That long? [emoji6]

Great to read (and see on Strava) plenty of us about. I made it to 300km for the month this morning with a 5k, following 12 miles of Downslink and SDW yesterday. I went a bit further than planned as it was so nice out.

December is all about elevation, I think. I'm still pinning my hopes on Moyleman in March, so getting some decent hill work in nice and early. [emoji106]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That long? [emoji6]

Great to read (and see on Strava) plenty of us about. I made it to 300km for the month this morning with a 5k, following 12 miles of Downslink and SDW yesterday. I went a bit further than planned as it was so nice out.

December is all about elevation, I think. I'm still pinning my hopes on Moyleman in March, so getting some decent hill work in nice and early. [emoji106]

Nice work.......about 55m for me this week including a 27m trot over the Downs midweek and a 22min 5k (and a strava segment top 5 junior goaded me in to attempting [emoji23][emoji23]) Just ticking over at the mo and steadily increasing the volume.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
288 miles so far for me this month.

Nine more tomorrow gets me to my 2,020 in 2020 but I might as well run 12 to make it 300 for the month, so I might as well make it another half-marathon.

It won’t be a fast one though!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ll hit 200 for a month for the very first time tomorrow as long as I run 5.5 miles or more. 100 miles in the past two weeks, so feel like I’m in reasonable shape. Only problem for my running now is playing football is back again this week. At age 41 it’s not a great combo, but I’m loathed to give it up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
288 miles so far for me this month.

Nine more tomorrow gets me to my 2,020 in 2020 but I might as well run 12 to make it 300 for the month, so I might as well make it another half-marathon.

It won’t be a fast one though!

Maybe it will.

I ran my second fastest ever HM, Strava clocking it at 1:35:27, 39 seconds off my best. Stopping to re-tie a lace in mile 2 cost me 20-30 seconds and I didn't decide to "go for it" until I hit half-way, so upped the pace from there.

I'm going to blow my own trumpet, briefly, as I'm not sure I'll have a running month like this ever again...

Miles in a month: 300 (previous best: 216)
Miles in a week: 80 (previous best: 53 I think)
HM PB: 1:34:48 (previous best: 1:40:01)
10km PB: 41:32 (previous best 43:24)
5km PB: 19:48 (previous best: 20:14)
Longest run: 17 miles (previous best: 16.72 miles)

I'm going to reduce my pace and mileage significantly for a couple of weeks and see I can have a go at PBs towards the end of December with some fresher legs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe it will.

I ran my second fastest ever HM, Strava clocking it at 1:35:27, 39 seconds off my best. Stopping to re-tie a lace in mile 2 cost me 20-30 seconds and I didn't decide to "go for it" until I hit half-way, so upped the pace from there.

I'm going to blow my own trumpet, briefly, as I'm not sure I'll have a running month like this ever again...

I'm going to reduce my pace and mileage significantly for a couple of weeks and see I can have a go at PBs towards the end of December with some fresher legs.

These are a good set of stats :lol:

Well done Bozza, great improvements at every level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe it will.

Outstanding [emoji122][emoji122]

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
My pair of these arriving today - https://www.saucony.com/UK/en_GB/men%27s-endorphin-pro/44571M.html

I was put off the vaporfly by the colour available and the "everyone has Nike" desire to be a bit different - the saucony received great reviews as the best competitor to Nike. These will be my shoes (hopefully) for spring marathon so I'm keen to get the feel of them. Will aim to put 100 miles into them before race day.

First run in these today and very impressed, felt like having springs in my shoes (funny that) and really encouraged a high cadence.

Unfortunately a new injury niggle limited me to 20 minutes so I really hope I'll get to use them in anger one day!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Maybe it will.

Exceptional running Bozza! Definitely get the trumpet out, you should be really chuffed. That is the definition of steady consistent progress right there. Congrats! :)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
First run in these today and very impressed, felt like having springs in my shoes (funny that) and really encouraged a high cadence.

Unfortunately a new injury niggle limited me to 20 minutes so I really hope I'll get to use them in anger one day!

Nice! I hope the niggle settles down soon.

I took my Saucony Endorphin Speed's out for their first run this morning. First impressions - wow, they are a lot of fun! I like how the nylon plate is much more subtle than the carbon plate shoes I have but they're definitely giving great energy return and there's a lovely responsive feel.

It's always a good sign when my heart rate stays relatively settled despite the undulating roads I run on (and I picked quite an up and down route this morning). They must zip along on the flat.

Overall they're a really fun ride and Saucony have delivered a fantastic training shoe! I won't use them as a daily trainer because of the nylon plate but they're definitely coming out for some fun tempos.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Fully engaging 'plod mode' got me over 8 miles for the first time!

plod mode.PNG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've just got in to running and have been lurking on this thread for a few months. I don't understand a lot of the abbreviations used, apart from PB!
The reason I've been running is that I play football three times a week, or I did until the lockdown, and want to keep my fitness up for when we are allowed to return to playing which is now this Saturday. Bignuts has seen me in 5-a-side action, so may beg to differ that I "play football", perhaps aimlessly chase a ball around may be more like it?!
I've been running 4 miles, three times a week. I speak in old money, so I don't do kilometres.
This morning, I ran from the east arm of the marina to the end of the undercliff walk, touched the wall - you have to do that, then obviously back again. That took 55 minutes and 7 seconds. I don't have a snazzy watch either. Just a wrist stop-watch. I've measured the distance on Google maps and it is 5.6 miles.
With my 65th birthday coming up in two months, I think I'm doing OK?
I intend to run just once a week when I start the football again.
Without reading back all 2,230 pages on this thread, any helpful tips for my running would be much appreciated.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've just got in to running and have been lurking on this thread for a few months. I don't understand a lot of the abbreviations used, apart from PB!
The reason I've been running is that I play football three times a week, or I did until the lockdown, and want to keep my fitness up for when we are allowed to return to playing which is now this Saturday. Bignuts has seen me in 5-a-side action, so may beg to differ that I "play football", perhaps aimlessly chase a ball around may be more like it?!
I've been running 4 miles, three times a week. I speak in old money, so I don't do kilometres.
This morning, I ran from the east arm of the marina to the end of the undercliff walk, touched the wall - you have to do that, then obviously back again. That took 55 minutes and 7 seconds. I don't have a snazzy watch either. Just a wrist stop-watch. I've measured the distance on Google maps and it is 5.6 miles.
Without reading back all 2,230 pages on this thread, any helpful tips for my running would be much appreciated.

Best advice I had was that slowing down gets you a lot further, and shorten your stride on hills. Not good if you are after 'times' but i'm not a racer, just doing it for weight control.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sounds good so far. Nothing to add at the moment except you may want to put the Strava App on your phone. You can then record your runs to chart progress or lack of progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here