Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
DJing? A man of many talents.Any video clips?

I suppose you gazelles were too young to be there in the '80s. Running related.Day before we went there we went to a student party in Moss Side. Pub first, friend mocking the accents around us, atmosphere became threatening, picked up our 24 can packs of beer and legged it down the road. Only casualty was the only Manc with us, who thought he'd be safe. A chain whipped across his nose and smashing it showed he wasn't. Citeeh.

Hey Gaffer! Yeah I was DJ'ing here and there in the late 90's. Feels like a lifetime ago now. No video but I do have some cool photos. I played quite a bit at The Escape and The Zap but The Hacienda was definitely a highlight. By that time it wasn't the club it used to be but I did get nervous because of it's history.
Then I embarked on a career in the music industry (hence my nsc username :)

I can't imagine what Manchester was like in the 80's. Living there while at Uni was lots of fun but it could also be pretty intimidating. I got attacked once and ended up in A&E with a gashed head. Students were easy pickings for the locals. :lolol: It felt like a city on the edge all the time. Oasis played Maine Road, the Arndale Centre bombing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having read a fair few running books of late I’ve moved away from running to read Peter Hook’s book about The Hacienda night club during the eighties and nineties. Good read but it’s not why I’m posting.

Had some time tonight so had a flick through a few running documentary options and ended up watching Running For Good a documentary about Ultra Runner Fiona Oakes.

A really inspiring story, as she is running with no knee caps somehow and not only that, holds several race victories plus an assortment of world records. I’d never heard of her before but I’d imagine a few of the Ultra Runners from here would have done.

It’s on Amazon Prime and lasts 70 minutes. Any other recommendations?

Are you looking to make the step up into Ultras, big guy? I can't really recommend anything, but I'm grateful for the ability to benefit from people who have recommended stuff :lol:

Isn't it due to rain from around lunchtime?

I'm feeling slightly annoyed that I just took the dog for a walk early this morning instead of a run - it was an amazing sunrise. I think I'll get out soon-ish though and try and beat the wet stuff.

It was lovely this morning, if a bit cold. For some reason I saw about triple the amount of runners I normally do at silly o'clock. I do love a good sunrise – this morning's was OK, but one day last week was stunning. I got lucky with a decent shot from the Adur Ferry Bridge in SBS.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you're on the lookout for any kit, Nike have what I think is the best one of their regular discounts on right now - 30% extra off stuff that is already in the sale.

Some shoes in there, but lots more besides.

You can get the Pegasus 37s for £51 (usually £105) - I think they're OK as an all-round daily trainer, but I know Artie is less keen.

Code: BRIGHT30

I'll be buying a pile of stuff that will be returned to me on December 25th!

Cheers for the tip, Bozza. Didn't go for Pegasus, but the React Miler, which is – according to the company – 'The Perfect Long Distance Running Shoe'. I'm running in some old Nikes at the moment and they're fine, so hopefully these new ones will be too.

Just some new trails to go because mine are falling to pieces :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Are you looking to make the step up into Ultras, big guy? I can't really recommend anything, but I'm grateful for the ability to benefit from people who have recommended stuff :lol:

It was lovely this morning, if a bit cold. For some reason I saw about triple the amount of runners I normally do at silly o'clock. I do love a good sunrise – this morning's was OK, but one day last week was stunning. I got lucky with a decent shot from the Adur Ferry Bridge in SBS.

Not imminently. I’ve always said the day I can’t go quicker on 10k’s and below is the day I’ll turn to Ultra’s.

That being said the way my body responds to quicker work it might be sooner than I think.

The SDW 100 & 50 would really appeal but definitely not the Barkley. Fair play to those who give it a go but I don’t think it’s for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not imminently. I’ve always said the day I can’t go quicker on 10k’s and below is the day I’ll turn to Ultra’s.

That being said the way my body responds to quicker work it might be sooner than I think.

The SDW 100 & 50 would really appeal but definitely not the Barkley. Fair play to those who give it a go but I don’t think it’s for me.

It’s an ultra event to even get into the Barkley, let alone run it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
250 day streak completed for me today.
Also hit 1500 miles for the year, biggest year previously was 1317 miles in 2009.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You’re just ahead of me - my lockdown run streak hit 245 days today. Are you going to keep going (300? A year? more?)

Would love to get to the end of this year.

I started when Spain locked down with no excercise allowed (My son lives in Barcelona), perhaps keep it going until we come out the other side with more normality?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Those of you on runstreaks - how do you make sure you get enough rest/recovery ? I always feel I need one day a week where I don’t run (will usually have a gentle walk instead). Do you have a couple of day where you only do say 20 mins at a very easy pace ?

What’s the motivation for keeping the streak going ?

Often fancied giving it a go but struggling with the risk/reward balance and how not having a day off would negatively impact other sessions.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Those of you on runstreaks - how do you make sure you get enough rest/recovery ? I always feel I need one day a week where I don’t run (will usually have a gentle walk instead). Do you have a couple of day where you only do say 20 mins at a very easy pace ?

Often fancied giving it a go but struggling with the risk/reward balance and how not having a day off would negatively impact other sessions.

I started off averaging 10km a day, but that got a bit much and I've dropped down to an average of around 8km now, but I do have one or two short days a week where I'll do only 4-5 km, and at least one of those will be at very gentle pace. Looking at various runstreak forums on the internet, the accepted definition seems to be that you need to do at least a mile a day for it to count as a 'streak', and I've certainly been doing well more than that. So far, touch wood, I've had no injuries (bar an occasional slight achilles niggle, which tends to go away a few miles into a run), but I have been making sure I sleep well, and I'm doing quite a lot of yoga and stretching to try and mitigate the risk of injury.

As far as the motivation is concerned, I started the streak at the beginning of lockdown in March largely as a psychological strategy to make sure that I got out of the house every day and had something positive and structured built into each day, and which would give me the positive wellbeing feelings I get with running. And it definitely worked. When lockdown eased over summer, I then decided to continue, partly I think because my obsessive-compulsive side kicked in - with the feeling that if I missed a day, that was it, I'd lost the streak. There's something quite comforting about just knowing when you wake up that, come rain or shine, you're going to run today. I did tell myself I might stop in the autumn during taper for the Brighton marathon, but then that was cancelled, so I kept going.

It's definitely a cost-benefit thing though - on the benefit side, my basic cardio-vascular engine feels stronger than it's ever been, despite my advanced age, and my VO2 max is higher than it's ever been. On the cost side, I've probably ended up neglecting speed work, and if I were to focus more on speed sessions, while keeping the streak going, I think there would be a risk of injury, as I'm clearly running quite a lot of the time on fatigued legs. So there's a definite possibility of getting "too fit for your legs", and when regular running events re-start, I may well have to reappraise things (although I did manage the Beachy Head half in October without too much difficulty). At the moment, though, like [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] I think I'll keep going (barring injury) until we come out the other side of Covid and return to something like normality.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

With no races to aim for I am running at least 5 of the days each week at recovery pace, 1 effort session a week, and maybe either a longer run or a sustained effort run once a week. My recovery run the day after efforts is often very slow (would normally be a rest day), I do try to do at least 5k on the 'rest day' but have been a bit shorter a couple of times.

On working days I use my run as my commute to work (WFH since lockdown) to try to retain some normality to life, and to ensure I do get out of the house.

Once there are races (or even just parkrun) to aim for I'll probably slip back to 5 days a week.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The greyhound posted this today. He seems quite pleased with it. I’d have thought he’d be a bit faster tbh
d32d4d2efcea70dadd0eee7d3498c076.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The greyhound posted this today. He seems quite pleased with it. I’d have thought he’d be a bit faster tbh
d32d4d2efcea70dadd0eee7d3498c076.jpg

What running app is that?

Just found him on strava, last run he posted there was in April

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I am not trying to keep you accountable, but keep us up to date.:wink:

Good luck.

Hey Mouldy.
I thought I would provide an update on my 10:10 progress. Now 7 runs into the 10 days...jeez, it’s a tough challenge! I’ve been running at a decent pace throughout with a weekly average pace of 4.32 per km, however my runs have incurred quite a few hills within the borough of Brighton & Hove - incurring 759m of running up hills through those 70kms.
Have to say, my legs are feeling quite heavy now but I’m now 70% through my lockdown challenge and hopefully mentally things should be easier. Will need to slow down the pace and find flat beachfront runs over the next couple of days.

PS: Thanks for making me ‘accountable’ to my personal challenge - makes it easier to complete the running challenge when I’ve put in print on a forum! Keep telling myself I cannot quit this challenge. 😩

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey Mouldy.
I thought I would provide an update on my 10:10 progress. Now 7 runs into the 10 days...jeez, it’s a tough challenge! I’ve been running at a decent pace throughout with a weekly average pace of 4.32 per km, however my runs have incurred quite a few hills within the borough of Brighton & Hove - incurring 759m of running up hills through those 70kms.
Have to say, my legs are feeling quite heavy now but I’m now 70% through my lockdown challenge and hopefully mentally things should be easier. Will need to slow down the pace and find flat beachfront runs over the next couple of days.

PS: Thanks for making me ‘accountable’ to my personal challenge - makes it easier to complete the running challenge when I’ve put in print on a forum! Keep telling myself I cannot quit this challenge. 😩

Excellent work. You’ve cracked it. Foot of the pedal now.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hey Mouldy.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Very impressed Robster, great pace, are you sure you're not on a bike!
Is it worth doing ice baths, to help those tired legs out???
I like the idea of flat running, maybe with the wind right on your back too!

You can do it, and you will do it, fair play to you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Completed my longest ever run today, 17 miles, as the last run in my longest running week - 80.1 miles all in.

I held a nice consistent pace all the way round, including the seafront stretch, which was mobbed, requiring much weaving and slaloming - all part of the fun though.

As ever, I carried no supplies so I think I'll finally have to buy one of those vest things so I can carry some liquid if I want to try to get closer to 20 miles. I seem to have camel-like qualities, but there's a healtby limit to that, I guess.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
250 day streak completed for me today.
Also hit 1500 miles for the year, biggest year previously was 1317 miles in 2009.

You’re just ahead of me - my lockdown run streak hit 245 days today. Are you going to keep going (300? A year? more?)

I'm just behind you in yearly total – passed 1,480 this morning. Run streak is at 178.

Rest/recovery? Not quite sure really – sometimes I'll walk the last bit home to get a bit of recovery going, but fortunately I don't suffer with any issues in terms of feeling I need a rest day. Any slight aches or pains I might have in the morning are normally gone within a mile or two of my run. There were a few brief walks during my 10k on Saturday when my legs felt a bit heavy, but then I cracked out 14 mostly Downslink miles yesterday, so :shrug: An occasional dip in the hottub post-long run often helps.

Motivation? A mixture of lots of things. Partly mental wellbeing, partly exercising the dog, partly daily routine and partly hitting my daily 10,000 steps target :lol:

Like lots of elements of running, it's not for everyone, so if you think it might cause problems, then I'd carry on doing what you do. You could always try a RED month – I often do January, although this year's was a write-off.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hey Mouldy.

Fantastic effort – keep it going!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here