Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Official NSC Dog Bore Thread

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
He was always going to predominantly be a family dog, it's difficult to train a dog with an 8 and 6 year old obsessing over him and it would have been unfair to make them leave him alone. Also I wanted to trust him implicitly with them and them hanging onto him from 14 weeks old has ensured there's very much a mutual respect between them. He's good with the basics, he'll trot along next to me off the lead (but as soon as he goes on the lead he's flat to the floor pulling), he's good with his recall although he'll stop and sniff a few things on the way (he reminds me of a sub going off at 1 nil up in stoppage time who stops to shake the refs hand, wave at the fans, etc) and he's the most loving thing I've ever come across. He knows I won't make a fuss off him as soon as I walk in after work so he goes and lays on the floor shaking waiting for his turn. He has all the right instincts, they're just not particularly fine tuned.

The fact you made that point, that you’ve trained your dog to fit your family’s requirements, but acknowledge that you’re dog is capable of more, suggests to me you really understand dogs. Kids and puppies aren’t a good mix for training, but it sounds like you managed it.

Your springer sounds amazing! My dad was a gamekeeper so I grew up around some extremely well trained dogs especially one of his under keepers who had a superb springer but I saw the amount of time and effort he put into it (also he didn't have kids). I knew I didn't have the time to see it through properly so we just made sure he was the best family dog he could be,

Can I ask where you’re dad worked, was it on a Sussex shoot?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
View attachment 148261

This is Harry who will soon be 7 years old but sadly is unlikely to be around for much longer. Most of the time he is a lovely loving dog but he has issues and they are getting worse.

We picked him up as a rescue dog when he was about 6 months old but he has always had strange behavioural quirks. Over the years these have become steadily worse and we have tried all sorts of options, behaviourists, etc. We have always said we thought he was maybe autistic, very intelligent but with real social issues. Getting him to the vets has been a real problem as he got older - last time he needed some minor surgery, they struggled to sedate him with the strongest drugs they had.

More recently he has been having episodes which would best be described as schizophrenic or epileptic. He will suddenly decide to guard a cupboard in the kitchen for no reason and if you try to go near him he will growl and bark aggressively (he is not an aggressive dog normally). Once we are able to snap him out of this, usually with a hoover, he runs off and then comes back a few minutes later as if we have been out for a few hours and he is pleased to see us. He then usually goes to sleep for a while.

We have tried him on doggy prozac to try and limit these episodes but he suffered badly from side effects so we had to stop. The vet is sure he has some kind of brain aneurism which is growing and making these behaviours worse. He has never bitten us but he seems to be getting more aggressive now when these episodes happen (and they are becoming quite frequent) so we are due another consultation with the vet but options are running out and we cannot risk him attacking someone during an episode.

Seeing other pictures on here of people is great as it shows how much fun a dog can be but we don't get the good bits any more - we have to take him out when nobody is around, can't take him with us to a cafe or pub garden.

Honestly, it hurts just typing this as we know we don't want to lose him. We have given him a great life which he may not have had otherwise but also have to be responsible owners and there is a hard decision to be made soon.

We've always had dogs and when Harry goes, I'm sure - in time - we will get another.

That sounds like a difficult situation for you, Harry looks like a lovely dog and you are clearly trying your best.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
As this will be a place for dog lovers, may as well ask the opinion of whether the wife should take up pet portraits as a living?
She’s always been fantastic at art and dabbled now and then, but during lockdown she had a bit more time on her hands so started drawing a few of our friends dogs.
Personally, I think she’s smashed it. Thoughts?

View attachment 148243

View attachment 148247

View attachment 148249

View attachment 148250
Wow, they are superb.
Your wife is very talented.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is my adorable and needy Min Pin, Mischka

8F277A7F-B0A6-4A67-B65C-20D371A4E77B.jpeg

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
This is my adorable and needy Min Pin, Mischka

View attachment 148272

My mates got one of them ,absolutely bonkers dog :lolol: how he's still alive beggars belief. 2 weeks ago he was bitten on his leg by an Adder, luckily spotted quickly and straight to the vets ,survived but was touch and go and cost 1k for anti venom etc. He's also swallowed rat poison and fell of a roof :ohmy: don't ask! Crazy little dog but adorable at the same time .

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
DSC_0421.JPG
This was our last dog Wilson, sadly died 5 years ago and we've decided not to get another after always having one .Very difficult decision but due to circumstances was not really practical. Miss him everyday and would encourage anyone to adopt a dog

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I’m truly sorry to hear that, one of life’s biggest travesties is that our dogs don’t live as long as we do, losing people I can cope with but every time I lose a dog I’m in absolute pieces.
I send my sincerest thoughts to both you and your friend.

This is a bit difficult for me to post, this week and next I was supposed to be looking after a friends HWV, unfortunately on the day of the Man Utd match we found out the dog had a big tumour on her liver. She had been ill on and off for about 4 weeks, one minute running around and happy and then having a day in her bed.
This dog had stayed with us many times and myself and my wife loved her to bits, she was 9 years old and very fit and lively up until she became ill.
Sounds silly but I didn’t think I would get so upset about losing a dog that wasn’t actually mine.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My mates got one of them ,absolutely bonkers dog :lolol: how he's still alive beggars belief. 2 weeks ago he was bitten on his leg by an Adder, luckily spotted quickly and straight to the vets ,survived but was touch and go and cost 1k for anti venom etc. He's also swallowed rat poison and fell of a roof :ohmy: don't ask! Crazy little dog but adorable at the same time .

They are not called the Kings of Toy dogs for no reason. Feisty little bugger that will chase anything and defend us with her life. Any workmen that come around are very wary of her as she can smell any fear and plays on it. She is really affectionate with anyone who is a dog lover though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m truly sorry to hear that, one of life’s biggest travesties is that our dogs don’t live as long as we do, losing people I can cope with but every time I lose a dog I’m in absolute pieces.
I send my sincerest thoughts to both you and your friend.

Many thanks for your kind words.

bob_monkhouse

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Jun 16, 2014
Liphook
This is Bobby. A 10 month old Cocker. Had him from a pup. He's helped us through some tough times. He's mad as a hatter.
6d4daebfef1551464a30e1107eff27da.jpg
acf82012da11588b592fc02ebafb16a2.jpg
87d23f8f4ea3dddf388ae71ba96f1a96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
View attachment 148285
This was our last dog Wilson, sadly died 5 years ago and we've decided not to get another after always having one .Very difficult decision but due to circumstances was not really practical. Miss him everyday and would encourage anyone to adopt a dog

This dude could be Rocco's dad . . . Was he a ball-aholic? Protective of, but happy to share . . .AS LONG AS YOU THROW IT!BD3DBA0A-C1F6-4025-9232-3FAA69DB536E.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This dude could be Rocco's dad . . . Was he a ball-aholic? Protective of, but happy to share . . .AS LONG AS YOU THROW IT!View attachment 148316

Those balls are brilliant. There we go, product review number one. Chuckit Ultra balls are fantastic if you have a chewer. Frankie has managed to damage "hardcore chewer proof" toys that we've bought online but, despite being thrown a Chuckit Ultra several times a day, not a dent has appeared in it. It's also survived a Staffy ball theft :eek:

Around £10 for two (two, because novice idiots like me might luzz it in the sea / Hove Lagoon / very deep bushes).

I'm sure you all know that, but for any new owners with a chewer and chaser they are MAGIC.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I’ve had dogs in the family all my adult life. The one constant you get from them is unconditional love, always pleased to see you, whatever the circumstances totally welcoming, can be hard work at times but unlike kids they don’t disown you. The relationship of trust you have with your dog is unique, friend, and confidante. Couldn’t live without them, wouldn’t be still alive without them.

View attachment 148204

How do you tell who loves you most, your wife or your dog...?

Lock them both in the boot of your car, let them out after an hour and see which one is most pleased to see you.......

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is a bit difficult for me to post, this week and next I was supposed to be looking after a friends HWV, unfortunately on the day of the Man Utd match we found out the dog had a big tumour on her liver. She had been ill on and off for about 4 weeks, one minute running around and happy and then having a day in her bed.
This dog had stayed with us many times and myself and my wife loved her to bits, she was 9 years old and very fit and lively up until she became ill.
Sounds silly but I didn’t think I would get so upset about losing a dog that wasn’t actually mine.

It's very hard, we lost our 14 year old companion on 29 April. She hadn't been right for a few weeks and but that Friday night everything was normal she seemed to be back to normal and at 7.15 in the evening she came over to my wife's leg, laid down and had a fit. My wife comforted her while I rang the emergency vet. Once the fit stopped we took her to the vet, which was fortunately only a few minutes drive away.

We had to make that awful awful decision that every pet owner dreads but it was the right decision.

Can't type anything more atm I'll post a photo of her in a few days. Sorry to mess with a happy thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here