***** Official NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread 2013 *****

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
It was for what League Disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has termed a "retaliatory high stick." Carter lost teeth and had 20 stitches to his face.

Keith is lucky he only got 1 game.

LA in a massive hole down 3-1. Had 2 SOG in the entire 3rd period. Not good enough when you are chasing the game. They'll need a miracle or epic Chicago collapse to get back in the WCF. Boston could put the Penguins out tonight as they are playing at home. They look like the B's of 2011.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Current state of play with both games almost over I feel.

In the Eastern Conference

Boston Bruins 2 v Pittsburgh Penguins 1 next game Friday 7th in Boston
Series (3-0)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks 3 v LA Kings 2 next game Saturday 8th in Chicago
Series (3-1)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Wooohooooo!

Suck shit Iginla! Suck it right up you spud!

You could have been going to the Stanley Cup, now you're going home! :clap2:

Tuukka Rask :bowdown:

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
In plain English that meant that Boston won 1-0 at home to complete a 4-0 clean sweep of the series and will play in the Stanley Cup Finals, to probably play Chicago unless the Kings can work some magic tonight.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Wooohooooo!

Suck shit Iginla! Suck it right up you spud!

You could have been going to the Stanley Cup, now you're going home! :clap2:

Tuukka Rask :bowdown:

You just called out one of the most well-respected and popular players of the past 25 years. One of the truly great ambassadors of the sport.

Maybe you're not, but I'm sure embarrassed for you.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
First Original Six matchup since the '79 Cup Final when the Canadiens beat the Rangers in five games.

Boston looks good. Chicago peaking at the right time. Can the B's defence contain Hossa, Toews, Sharp and Kane like the did the Penguins big guns? Will Rask duplicate the series he had in the ECF? Has Kane finally hit his stride? He's extremely dangerous when he's on.

This has the hallmarks of a great final.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
A very difficult match up to call. I'll probably just give the Bruins the edge ( that's tough for a Rangers fan to say )

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You just called out one of the most well-respected and popular players of the past 25 years. One of the truly great ambassadors of the sport.

Maybe you're not, but I'm sure embarrassed for you.

Couldn't give a crap.

Milan Lucic said after the series that Iginla's spurning of Boston ignited the Boston sweep, "When a guy chooses another team over your team, it does light a little bit of a fire underneath you,"

Calgary could have gotten a far better return for him if he'd allowed them to take the Bruins offer.

Plenty of people have called him out in media articles for the same thing. Paint a target on your back and expect to be shot down.

Thanks for the ammunition Jarome.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Wrong, wrong, wrong. All wrong. Too much misinformation and hyperbole regarding the proposed "deal" to Boston. "Far better return" is highly dubious and I've been a Flames fan for 32 years.

Not surprised that you "could't give a crap." Expecting an Australian to have any understanding of class, humility or dignity when it comes to professional sports/athletes is definitely a bridge too far.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Wrong, wrong, wrong. All wrong. Too much misinformation and hyperbole regarding the proposed "deal" to Boston. "Far better return" is highly dubious and I've been a Flames fan for 32 years.

Not surprised that you "could't give a crap." Expecting an Australian to have any understanding of class, humility or dignity when it comes to professional sports/athletes is definitely a bridge too far.

Jesus you talk shit.

It's nothing to do with being an Australian (funny you waffling on about class when you sound like a cultural bigot) It's all about being a fan of all teams Boston.

If any player snubbed the Celtics, the Red Sox, the Patriots OR the Bruins the attitude would be the same.

You'd know that if you truly had a clue. Oh wait, you're English, what would you know about American sports :)

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Jesus you talk shit.

It's nothing to do with being an Australian (funny you waffling on about class when you sound like a cultural bigot) It's all about being a fan of all teams Boston.

I should have expected such a response and lack of perspective. The classiest and most highly-respected player of his generation can go "suck sh*t" because of the misconception that he "snubbed" one team and went to another. Wow. The level of "butthurt" (great term, no?) that Bruin fans have had over this perceived (see, there's that concept again - perspective) "snub" borders on the infantile. Just because someone is given a choice and chooses to go somewhere that isn't "your" team, automatically means it was a "snub." Really? I thought it was a choice, especially since Boston was one of 2 teams that he was OK going to. You make it seem like Feaster worked out a trade without Iginla's input and then the player said no to the deal, sort of like when Dany Heatley said no to going from Ottawa to Edmonton in 2009. Remember that? No, wait, you probably don't.

If any player snubbed the Celtics, the Red Sox, the Patriots OR the Bruins the attitude would be the same.

Again with the lack of perspective. This is a common thread here.

You'd know that if you truly had a clue. Oh wait, you're English, what would you know about American sports :)

This was my favourite bit. Two things - first, I guess the big Canadian flag Maple Leaf avatar was lost on you. Not surprising. Most people don't identify Maple Leafs with Canada, so it surely isn't an Australian thing. (read: I'm Canadian not English). Secondly, and again I wouldn't expect such a "die-hard" Boston Bruins fan such as yourself to know that hockey is a game with it's origins firmly based in Canadian history - no disrespect to my American neighbours.

I find posts such as this, rife with ad hominem attacks to be most distatseful and quite annoying. I never thought I would have to utilize the Ignore User function on a fellow BHAFC fan, but I guess I was wrong.

Wish I could say that it's been nice chatting with you, but that would just not be truthful.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The irony of a Canadian lecturing other on the classiness of other hockey fans.

tumblr_lmwro2XwRp1qi105v.jpg

And in hockey, most people associate the maple leaf with Toronto(not Canada). You'd think a hockey fan would know that.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Getting back to the game, as you probably realised Chicago beat LA to progress to the final. It was close though, LA equalized with 10 seconds to go forcing overtime and it wasn't until the second period of overtime when Patrick Kane completed his hat-trick to take the win.

So the Stanley Cup Final will be between the Boston Bruins and the Chicago Blackhawks, games scheduled as follows

Weds 12 Boston at Chicago
Sat 15 Boston at Chicago
Mon 17 Chicago at Boston
Wed 19 Chicago at Boston
Sat 22 Boston at Chicago (if required)
Mon 24 Chicago at Boston (if required)
Wed 26 Boston at Chicago (if required)

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Getting back to the game, as you probably realised Chicago beat LA to progress to the final. It was close though, LA equalized with 10 seconds to go forcing overtime and it wasn't until the second period of overtime when Patrick Kane completed his hat-trick to take the win.

So the Stanley Cup Final will be between the Boston Bruins and the Chicago Blackhawks, games scheduled as follows

Weds 12 Boston at Chicago
Sat 15 Boston at Chicago
Mon 17 Chicago at Boston
Wed 19 Chicago at Boston
Sat 22 Boston at Chicago (if required)
Mon 24 Chicago at Boston (if required)
Wed 26 Boston at Chicago (if required)

Who are you picking?

Boston look like the 2011 vintage. Chicago might be hitting top gear at the right time. It might come down to goaltending, PP chances and who can get the right match ups. Can Julien get Chara out against Kane and Toews? Will Quenneville be able to match Keith and Seabrook against the Krejci line? This is evenly matched and should be a great final.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
I just watched some interviews on TSN.ca with players on both sides talking about winning the Cup on previous occasions. Shawn Thornton said that when he won with Anaheim it was the "greatest day of his life," and his next triumph was "equally as good." A reporter then asked if it was better than his wedding day and he said that it was and, this is the best part, "Every Canadian kid grows up dreaming about the Stanley Cup, not many little boys grow up dreaming about their wedding day."

That made me laugh.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
"Every Canadian kid grows up dreaming about the Stanley Cup, not many little boys grow up dreaming about their wedding day."

That's probably a fair comment actually, a lot of british boys may dream about the FA Cup, certainly not their wedding day either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports