Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I switched to this thread as this is an interesting discussion and it might derail the other thread.

It seems you can market beers as alcohol free and above 0.05 Waitrose has
(https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/erdinger-weissbrau-alkohol-frei-germany/821331-281019-281020) and Brewdog are using the term Alcohol Free on their cans and packaging (https://www.brewdog.com/uk/punk-af-4-x-cans).

Your point about introducing new brands as opposed to creating AF versions of existing brands is a good one. Brewdog have not done this; they have created an AF version of their full core range. It sets you up to fail though, as one immediately compares the AF beer to its alcoholic version as opposed to judging it on its own merits. Well, I did when I went to a Punk AF tasting session. Time will tell if this approach works.

I totally get the bars as opposed to pub thing. And one thing it’s done it made alcohol establishments more gender democratic which can only be a good thing; a welcome bonus is the eye candy in my local Mikkeller and Brewdog bars is excellent.

I'm off to the Rebellion Brewery tomorrow, to peruse any offers :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Your point about introducing new brands as opposed to creating AF versions of existing brands is a good one. Brewdog have not done this; they have created an AF version of their full core range. It sets you up to fail though, as one immediately compares the AF beer to its alcoholic version as opposed to judging it on its own merits. Well, I did when I went to a Punk AF tasting session. Time will tell if this approach works.

I agree this is a better thread for this.

Being a quality manager I'm obviously interested in flavour profile and consistency. The issue is that to de-alcohol it changes the "make up" of the beer change, vacuum boiling is one way or filtering (reverse osmosis) another. It's the opposite of normal bottled ales where it is brewed for longer to a higher ABV to it's draught counterpart. This is so the flavour loss during pasteurisation is not compromised.

We tested four different brews last year to attempt to replicate the alcoholic version of our brew. Being it is the no. 1 premium beer in the UK we had to be very careful as it does have a distinctive taste and we had spent years developing the gluten free version (which is 98% the same). It was decided to give it the main name not the full tittle but Libera . Our other brands, such as Grolsch also do a 0% beer which is ok. Meantime will as well are developing theirs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sad to see big beer trying to reform beer duty to disadvantage those at the bottom of the ladder - i.e the new upstarts.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/334066

Not surprised to see people like Hogs Back, Black Sheep, Timothy Taylors , Fullers & Dark Star (nice to have 2 brands to use...) etc pushing for this - but Harvey’s was surprising. Perhaps because they are in the middle ground. Not big enough to compete with the big boys but to big to qualify for support.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sig...rewers-while-regional-breweries-claim-victory

Last edited:

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Zizkov as in Viktoria Zizkov ?
Had a couple of great trips to Prague based there if thats the case.
Nice.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A cheeky little number from Omnipollo is their new Elvis Smoked Bacon Banana Ice Cream Bourbon Peanut Butter Freakshake IPA. An IPA brewed with bacon, banana, lactose, peanuts and vanilla. Contains nuts.

Might be linguistically challenging a few pints in, but sounds nice nonetheless.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone seen much about Beak Brewery in Lewes? Got some cans a few months back from Beer No Evil and just noticed they’ve opened a tap room in their brewery on Saturdays, with different pop up food stall every week.

The beers I had were exceptional and wondered what the back story is, they seem very well funded. I did hear they’d taken some brewing staff from Burning Sky. Might take a trip over one week, although their booking system seems to fill up immediately

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Anyone seen much about Beak Brewery in Lewes? Got some cans a few months back from Beer No Evil and just noticed they’ve opened a tap room in their brewery on Saturdays, with different pop up food stall every week.

The beers I had were exceptional and wondered what the back story is, they seem very well funded. I did hear they’d taken some brewing staff from Burning Sky. Might take a trip over one week, although their booking system seems to fill up immediately

They seem to be cropping up a fair bit recently and strangely almost out of nowhere.

Locally I like a lot of the new releases that unbarred have been putting out, they've also recently reopened the tap room. Also hand brewery who were Brewing out of the hand in hand in kemp Town have got a new brewery out in Worthing which will have a tap room. Be interested to see what kind of beers they start to put out when it is fully operational.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They seem to be cropping up a fair bit recently and strangely almost out of nowhere.

Locally I like a lot of the new releases that unbarred have been putting out, they've also recently reopened the tap room. Also hand brewery who were Brewing out of the hand in hand in kemp Town have got a new brewery out in Worthing which will have a tap room. Be interested to see what kind of beers they start to put out when it is fully operational.

I'm rather partial to this IPA blend.

https://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/mobile-home/beer/beer-available-today/video/?id=1936

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yes - they certainly seem to have some wealthy backers behind them to get to where they are so quickly.

I like Unbarred, a few of their beers were a bit 'meh' but the more normal IPAs etc have been decent recently. Agreed on their Tap room, good spot. Hand Brewery move to Worthing is interesting, I did see mention of that - where is the tap room? You can find their beers quite easily in Brighton on tap and they've been pleasant so hopefully with new brewing space they can kick on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[tweet]1301087629883191296[/tweet]
Please :shootself me now.....

I’m working on a Brewdog Dunk IPA. [MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION] will be pleased.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Forgot to say - my visit to Beak Brewery the other week was great. Slightly Bermondsey industrial estate vibes, but good selection of beers - which they've now increased. Very 'COVID' safe and different food truck options every week. You need to prebook but well worth a visit

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Forgot to say - my visit to Beak Brewery the other week was great. Slightly Bermondsey industrial estate vibes, but good selection of beers - which they've now increased. Very 'COVID' safe and different food truck options every week. You need to prebook but well worth a visit

Thanks for reminding me, I've booked a visit in s few weeks when Kabak are there as I love their Lamb Schwarma

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here