Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
9 more beers that go on the banned list.

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/9-craft-beers-you-didnt-know-werent-craft-beers/

I know quite a few of these have already been mentioned but I wasn’t aware of Leinenkugel being owned by SAB. And I’m not really sure Magic Hat should go on the embargo list as their owners are not quite as bad as AB InBev or Miller Coors – I will keep drinking it as it’s one of my favourite beers in the US.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/9-craft-beers-you-didnt-know-werent-craft-beers/

I know quite a few of these have already been mentioned but I wasn’t aware of Leinenkugel being owned by SAB. And I’m not really sure Magic Hat should go on the embargo list as their owners are not quite as bad as AB InBev or Miller Coors – I will keep drinking it as it’s one of my favourite beers in the US.

The only one I have regular exposure to is Kona. It's now on the Tubthumper Nein list.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am just drinking a Point IPA. Have to be honest and say it's pretty crappy. Could be any of the nasty English IPA's that bulk out our supermarkets beer sections.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

It's tough. I love Goose Island, and Mrs Pogue adores Blue Moon - NOBODY is going to tell her that she can't drink it.

Basically, I will keep drinking it if it tastes good. Other beers will more often take precedence though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's tough. I love Goose Island, and Mrs Pogue adores Blue Moon - NOBODY is going to tell her that she can't drink it.

Basically, I will keep drinking it if it tastes good. Other beers will more often take precedence though.
Goose Island IPA is a cracking beer. So it's been bought out...... As long as they still make it the same way and it tastes the same I,ll continue drinking it. It's one you can get from nearly all the supermarkets but like you say if you go out to a craft bar it's not going to be the one you'd try first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Basically, I will keep drinking it if it tastes good.

this should be the only criteria, not whether it comes from a trendy brewery or not.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
It's a worrying trend for sure. It will be very interesting to see how the indies are doing in 10 years or so, a major competitive issue they have is that it is a lot harder for them to distribute effeiciently than it is for the big boys, so they are already at a disadvantage. Now the cunning disception of inserting wanna be beers into the market. c

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just quaffed a Saison 1858 for the first time... mnn, very, very nice. problem is what to follow it with.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A Maredsous Triple... yum yum

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just popped in to the local whilst walking the dog. & had a quick pint of this,will be back later to sample a few more :drink:

Pride Of Fulstow 4.5% abv

A deep coloured beer with ripe malt in the mouth and a good hop balance.a dry finish with blackcurrant notes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think it is about protecting the small independents otherwise the process of consolidation continues, choice reduces and we are back at square one. I don't agree that it is about being 'trendy'.

Exactly.

I hope the Star have still got some Rebel Alliance on this evening, I fancy a pint, been good all week.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
this should be the only criteria, not whether it comes from a trendy brewery or not.

Name a brewery 'trendy' or not, that doesn't do at least one less than average beer. It's always about the taste.
One thing that is troubling me though, as a regular at the Hanover Beer Festival, is the influx of over complicated beers that sound great but don't work at all. After 8 complicated half beers I was crying out for a basic slightly hoppy pale ale, or a nice bitter. Could I find one?
Maybe it was the organisers fault but the breweries need to keep to basics too.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Great to see the plans for Crafty Chucks today. Proper chicken menu with rotisserie and great craft beer offering. Opening in 5 weeks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great to see the plans for Crafty Chucks today. Proper chicken menu with rotisserie and great craft beer offering. Opening in 5 weeks.

Care to expand?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
@%1;
Name a brewery 'trendy' or not, that doesn't do at least one less than average beer. It's always about the taste.
One thing that is troubling me though, as a regular at the Hanover Beer Festival, is the influx of over complicated beers that sound great but don't work at all. After 8 complicated half beers I was crying out for a basic slightly hoppy pale ale, or a nice bitter. Could I find one?
Maybe it was the organisers fault but the breweries need to keep to basics too.

I just don't get black IPA's.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here