Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This was pretty much my story and feeling on the matter as well. Plus I have changed my views on real ale and have developed a liking for cask ales. And a chilled Brewdog Punk IPA is simply a glorious beverage :thumbsup:

Like Cesar I will not comment on the terminology again. I just want a thread where a few like minded people can prattle on and talk shite about beer. We're seemingly all united against the huge commercial brewers so let's all raise a glass to good beer!

Hear hear ! psst, have some Westvletteren 8's at less than you would think...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hear hear ! psst, have some Westvletteren 8's at less than you would think...

I have just started getting into Belgian beers actually. I will look out for this one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dropped in at Sainsbury's by London Road car park today. Stocked up with Brewdog, and am working through them now. Started with 5am Saint, moved on to Dead Pony Club, which I'm drinking at the moment - only 3.8%, but you wouldn't guess that - and will next open a 660ml bottle of the rather fantastic Punk IPA.

Cheers!

Those 660ml bottles are a god-send for me as I can double the mail order volume without any extra postage and packing. Now what shall I have next......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is an interesting beer.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 109

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Right, all these recent posts have made me really thirsty, so I'm off to Whole Foods now to get some supplies - not sure what yet, may even take the growler for an outing.

I do enjoy this thread, even the odd bit of falling out - nothing wrong in that so long as it stays focused on the topic. And even among the true 'crafters' on here there are different reasons for getting into it craft. What I like is it gets you to try different styles in the tasting room/living room. All good. A few years ago, HT, enjoying an Imperial Stout, unlikely - and today getting reaquainted with cask - marvellous!

Living as I do in the US, without Craft beer, I'd be stuck with the unthinkable mass produced rubbish, or rely on imports. I do miss cask ale, always was my no.1 choice, and I do get excited when I find it (rarely) over here.

Anyway each to his own.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have just started getting into Belgian beers actually. I will look out for this one.

It's heavenly but unless you are prepared to sit on a phone line for days upon end to get through and order your crate and then drive to the monastery and pick it up you won't be having any HT.

Was it worth it when we did it ? Of course it bloody was.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I have had some epic sessions on Belgian beer, 2 trips spring to mind, Antwerp all dayer, a rather splendid city, and of course Brussels. And a good amount of Belgian beer crosses into northern France, so Lille is a good and easy day trip too. Just be prepared!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just enjoying the following, while a Lamb Dopiaza (thanks Rick Stein) simmers away on the stove View attachment 51343

Its an interesting IPA, as it has bit of an almost Bitter after taste. It's probably not quite up to BrewDog Punk for me, but its a nice tipple, and the 500ml bottle is a good size.

I've mentioned the Saltaire Brewery a few times, and think I will always try and keep some of their beers in the 'cupboard.'

Attachments

• Saltaire%u00252BStateside%2BIPA.JPG
    Saltaire%u00252BStateside%2BIPA.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 154

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to this event last weekend. If you cannot translate the text there are handy graphics at the top. It was curated by Johan Heidenpeter who is a very DIY craft brewer based at the Markthalle. And it was a very good event with about 10 German craft brewers and a host of food stalls as well.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 180

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

1) Heidepeters ramshackle bar
2) Heidenpeters Vanilla Porter
3) It's on it's way!
4) Herman is a Belgian beer bar based in Berlin and the owner snuck into the festival and served up this nice sour/Flemmish red beer called Rogenbach.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
photo 1-1.JPGphoto 2-1.JPGphoto 3-1.JPGphoto 4-1.JPGphoto 5-1.JPG

1) The black hoody guys from Rollberg. These non-conformist chaps are a law unto themselves and interestingly their 'our terms only' attitude has made them one of the leading craft brewers in town.
2) A cheeky cheese break; and a sly red wine to go with it.
3) This bloke had a sausage stand and spent all afternoon shouting 'good food, good drink' whilst he glugged the ale from the adjacent stand. He was swaying and slurring and still shouting and also ringing a bell when I left. Quite a character.
4) Black Flag porter from the excellent Schoppe Brau. This guy made a lovely dry-hopped lager last summer.
5) Sausage break.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just enjoying the following, while a Lamb Dopiaza (thanks Rick Stein) simmers away on the stove View attachment 51343

Its an interesting IPA, as it has bit of an almost Bitter after taste. It's probably not quite up to BrewDog Punk for me, but its a nice tipple, and the 500ml bottle is a good size.

I've mentioned the Saltaire Brewery a few times, and think I will always try and keep some of their beers in the 'cupboard.'

Just took a look at their website. I'll keep an eye on these guys. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here