**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm currently drinking a lovely dry Centennial hopped Coney Isle Brewery cask lager. I doubt this post will kick start this thread to bigger and better things.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just had a bottle of Little Creatures Pale Ale. wife yesterday found that Quaff sells it, well, sold it, I just cleaned them out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You seem to be describing a slightly up-market Watney's Party Seven ? In the words of Peter Jones, ...." I'm out "
Harsh ...... but fair. Each to their own and all the rest of it, but God preserve us from 'craft' beer snobs, fat real ale bores are bad enough.

Anyway I'm currently drinking a can of Kronengbourg 1664 that I found at the back of the fridge behind a jar of mayonnaise that went out of date in 2009. *Wipes nose on sleeve*

Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already and another on the way. For the record I'm currently drinking a barrel-aged imperial 7.7 lager from Brewdog. What you drinking?

What is the third pub you are talking about? I can currently only name two: the Brewery Tap and the Craft Beer Company.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
This weekend I have been mostly drinking ....this!! images.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not sure I really like the term craft beer either. I suppose it describes the US beer scene but what about all the great Belgium beers ? Are they craft beers ? What makes a Michaeller (sp) a craft beer over a La Trappe for example.

Any real ale designed for the cask and then subsequently pasteurised into a bottle should definetly not have the word craft anywhere near its label.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Harsh ...... but fair. Each to their own and all the rest of it, but God preserve us from 'craft' beer snobs, fat real ale bores are bad enough.

Anyway I'm currently drinking a can of Kronengbourg 1664 that I found at the back of the fridge behind a jar of mayonnaise that went out of date in 2009. *Wipes nose on sleeve*

I'd rather drink the mayonnaise *sticks nose in air *

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm currently drinking a lovely dry Centennial hopped Coney Isle Brewery cask lager. I doubt this post will kick start this thread to bigger and better things.
The only craft beer I,ve had this weekend was a Goose Island from Waitrose. Common I know but still delicious.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm drinking my own home brew at the moment (Newcastle Brown Ale replica), and also one of the guys from work gave me a bottle of his mandarin and pineapple porter. Not to mention my own homebrew turbo cider.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am currently waiting on a bright ale which has been hand crafted by myself and a mate. Our last brew was a little disappointing but I have very high hopes for this one. It is also our first brew that has been made completely from scratch rather than from partially premixed Wort.

I noticed some Little Creatures Pale Ale fans on here, If you get the opportunity try a Hawthorn Pale Ale it is to die for.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I am currently waiting on a bright ale which has been hand crafted by myself and a mate. Our last brew was a little disappointing but I have very high hopes for this one. It is also our first brew that has been made completely from scratch rather than from partially premixed Wort.

I noticed some Little Creatures Pale Ale fans on here, If you get the opportunity try a Hawthorn Pale Ale it is to die for.

When you say "completely from scratch" do you mean Dry Malt Extract or All Grain?

Wasn't Cask still open back in June?

Bee's Mouth isn't a a pub but they had some 'craft' beers last time I was there

Cask closed on the 7th June and the people running it opened the Craft Beer Company on the 15th, this is what Herr Tubthumper must have been talking about.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm drinking my own home brew at the moment (Newcastle Brown Ale replica), and also one of the guys from work gave me a bottle of his mandarin and pineapple porter. Not to mention my own homebrew turbo cider.

My first brew was a Newcastle Brown type......It didn't taste very similar but it was bloody lovely! Where do you get your recipes from?

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
ok, cut the pretentious twaddle...

In plain English, what is "Craft Beer"?

Is it home-brew with it's head up it's own arse?.... :wink:

Thank you!

:drink:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I shall look out for it. Sadly, AU beer here is blooming hard to find, and expensive, I guess the shipping costs crucify it. That said, it's worth it when I find it.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already and another on the way. For the record I'm currently drinking a barrel-aged imperial 7.7 lager from Brewdog. What you drinking?

Anyone tried their 35% beer called 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin'? (Great name for a beer eh?)

Brewed then aged in oak casks for a year followed by freeze distillation to get to the 35% mark. Looks like Marmite and is served iN 25cl measures at £5 a pop.

Me I'll stick to their Punk IPA, a super (albeit strong at 5.4% ABV) tipple.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here