Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Match Thread : Australia v Holland ***

D

Deleted member 18477

Holy cow!

A palace player has just scored a World Cup goal... A really important one too.

Come on Holland!!!

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Australia have had a good half against a team who've had a poor half.

England looked better than they've looked for donkey's years for the whole game against a good well organised team with the quality to put two good goals past us.

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree, because it's taken me years to feel positive about an England team, and I'm not up for being persuaded otherwise just yet.

I kind of agree.

We're watching a game between a side that has just beaten the world champions 5-1 v the lowest ranked team left in the competition. Against all expectations Australia have been the better side in the first half and have scored one of the great world cup goals.

... and people can't find anything else to talk about here, other then knocking England?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You say that, but in fact they have only one player in their squad who plays in the Premier League, and he plays for Palace.

Ok, but I would suggest that Aussie international football and many individual players (not least Cahill) have benefitted from being in the PL - and at the expense of how many English players?

Having said that I am as optimistic about the current England squad as at any time in that period. We may have had stronger squads on paper - but this one mainly gives a hope for the future. We deserved a draw against Italy and we may yet frighten Uruguay and few others in this WC, because we are not playing like the predictable England of old.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think I should have avoided a bet on this one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I kind of agree.

We're watching a game between a side that has just beaten the world champions 5-1 v the lowest ranked team left in the competition. Against all expectations Australia have been the better side in the first half and have scored one of the great world cup goals.

... and people can't find anything else to talk about here, other then knocking England?

This. It's pathetic really.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
How could he have got out the way. His arm was in a natural position. No intent. Wouldn't have been happy if that was given against us. What a finish by Van Persie as I write.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is a very good game. Enjoying it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How could he have got out the way. His arm was in a natural position. No intent. Wouldn't have been happy if that was given against us. What a finish by Van Persie as I write.

Yep, sounds unfair. That said, Australia had the ball in the net at the start of the half, and it was ruled out for a dubious push on the Dutch defender.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh.. and FWIW. Take the world cup off Qatar and give it to Oz. Always thought they should have hosted it in 2022.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here