Official! iPhone not the best phone on the market

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How unfortunate of them to issue that award 3 days before the newest iPhone is launched.

The iPhone 4 is the best selling phone ever. The iPhone 4s sold over 1 million pre-orders in 24 hours, already making it the best new phone launch ever, eclipsing the iPhone 4.

Grab these small, hollow victories if they make you feel better.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think you're likely to receive a lengthy ban for that kind of comment

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
How unfortunate of them to issue that award 3 days before the newest iPhone is launched.

The iPhone 4 is the best selling phone ever. The iPhone 4s sold over 1 million pre-orders in 24 hours, already making it the best new phone launch ever, eclipsing the iPhone 4.

I think you mean the best selling smartphone ever. I think you'll find Nokia still hold the record for the best selling phone ever

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011

Why you cant argue with the sale figures is this more to do with the name than the actual quality of phone?

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
ditched my iphone, and have the HTC sensation. MUCH better..

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not really "official" is it, any more than I could set up an award right now that says Craig Mackail Smith is Officially the Best Player In The Championship. He'd get a trophy off me, but it wouldn't exactly mean it was a FACT that he was the best player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do iphones still not work properly with left handed people? I remember there being an issue that when held in the left hand, the signal was blocked, or at least reduced because of where the receiver is/was.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It is a bit redundant comparing the latest Samsung to a now old iPhone. It will, however, be interesting to compare the iPhone 4S to the Samsung Galaxy III when that's released (I don't know when that will be).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The fact that a phone has record pre orders is irrelavant when comparing it to other phones on the market and which is best. Nobody actually even has the thing to make a judgement yet. In fact it just reinforces that Apple fans are like the blind leading the blind. Also Read in The Metro yesterday that the new iPhone is a bit of a dissapointment compared to previous release improvements.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think Android has developed to the point where it will almost always beat iOS devices to awards such as this, now that the hardware manufacturers have caught up with Apple. For now Apple still have the very best tablet available, but it won't be long before an Android tablet to beat the iPad 2 comes along, and when it does it will take something very special for Apple to regain their crown.

The fact is Apple will never allow iOS to become as open and malleable as Android is, so it is always going to be playing catch up to a system that is being continually updated and improved by a network of millions.

What I am interested in however, is whether the critically praised Windows Phone OS will ever gain any market share from Apple and Android. Before long the first Nokia devices running Windows Phone will arrive, and if the Finnish giant is able to return to what it does best, making solid, desirable hardware then it might just have a chance of becoming a big player once more.

However, ultimately the open nature of Android still puts it in pole position to be THE number one mobile OS for many years to come

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Using pre sales figures as a boast of quality is a bit like saying the X Factor winners single is the best song of the year because it pre-sells the most copies

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is a bit redundant comparing the latest Samsung to a now old iPhone.
If you go into a shop and ask for the latest and greatest iPhone pretty please, it's an iPhone 4. Shortly they'll be able to test the 4s against the Samsung.

I don't understand why you fanboys don't want progress. If I was an iPhone fanboy I'd want the new Samsung to be the best, as that will help push the next gen of iPhone to be better, and keep prices competitive. If they keep beating each other we all win. The last thing we want is only one decent option.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If you go into a shop and ask for the latest and greatest iPhone pretty please, it's an iPhone 4. Shortly they'll be able to test the 4s against the Samsung.

You know what I mean. :) Today, yes. Tomorrow, yes. Friday, no. To be honest, the SG II might well be better than the iPhone 4 - I have no idea (I have a 3GS and have never used a Galaxy). I'm simply pointing out that this award is (or in 2 days will be) irrelevant to the debate.

I don't understand why you fanboys don't want progress. If I was an iPhone fanboy I'd want the new Samsung to be the best, as that will help push the next gen of iPhone to be better, and keep prices competitive. If they keep beating each other we all win. The last thing we want is only one decent option.

Completely agree with that. As Stephen Fry said in his 4S review: "Once again Apple is taking a lead and asking a lot of its competitors. I wish those competitors luck, for the better all smartphones are, the happier I am. If Steve Jobs's true legacy is that the devices every other company makes are so, so much better than they otherwise would have been, I don't think he would mind one bit."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do iphones still not work properly with left handed people? I remember there being an issue that when held in the left hand, the signal was blocked, or at least reduced because of where the receiver is/was.

it's more to do with left-handed people being a bit weird as opposed to a technical issue.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

I was worried about this, MY missus has the iphone 4 and Im a lefty but tbh it's no problem it maybe losses one bar but not always and still has good signal, With the 4$ this should be different as it uses two aerials so they say they've fixed it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know what I mean. :) Today, yes. Tomorrow, yes. Friday, no. To be honest, the SG II might well be better than the iPhone 4 - I have no idea (I have a 3GS and have never used a Galaxy). I'm simply pointing out that this award is (or in 2 days will be) irrelevant to the debate.
It will be less relevant, it will no longer refer to 'the best' smartphone, but it will be relevant at a price point. The iPhone 4 will still be available and will probably be closer to the price of the Sammy than the 4s. And they do reviews when they do them (maybe they did the review a little while ago). I'm hoping the price of the iPhone 4 will come down a lot, because I'm interested in getting one at some point.

Completely agree with that. As Stephen Fry said in his 4S review: "Once again Apple is taking a lead and asking a lot of its competitors. I wish those competitors luck, for the better all smartphones are, the happier I am. If Steve Jobs's true legacy is that the devices every other company makes are so, so much better than they otherwise would have been, I don't think he would mind one bit."
And I agree with that - happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports