Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Any ideas of a team to be, can never decide :censored:
The amount of Brighton ones i've tried, I can never get on with them.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008

I did a Southampton one a while back on patch 9.3 and they have no money, loads of players unhappy, good young english players though like Surman etc. Its a good game if you can get your head around playing with the boys from down the m27

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What tactics and training do you guys use? I am having immense trouble with Brighton at even winning a game 5 games in lost 4 and drew 1 0-0. Any tips? Cheers

Despite my above post, I am usually pretty successful in FM so hopefully can help. You can stick with 442 and do reasonably well.

If you have confidence in your players, I suggest in team instructions push up Mentality to attacking 3/4 notches and with that, push up tempo (again if you have a fit midfield etc) and pull down passing style to short.

Then sit back and watch as your team play a quick short passing game a la Arsenal. Hopefully.

Otherwise I use 3 at the back, invest in 2 GOOD wing backs and just barrage the other team with a creative midfield and Murray/Robinson and Forster upfront.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I enjoy Serie B Italian teams, or Spanish second div. Good challenges.

Live the dream with Man City? See if you can better O'Neill and push Villa into the Champions League?

I immensely enjoyed managing Nigeria at a World Cup before, and a good showing at such a competition will give your rep a big boost and open up some good offers to you.

Even if things go wrong early on, try to stick with one career. I've screwed up the start of mine (fired from Brighton after 6 months in charge) but am determined to climb back up.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Is there a downloadable patch that will alow the game to work without the dvd, I seem to have misplaced mine, and fancy giving it another shot tomorrow on a day off work if the sun fails to come out

Can't you play it through steam without the disc?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I enjoy Serie B Italian teams, or Spanish second div. Good challenges.

Live the dream with Man City? See if you can better O'Neill and push Villa into the Champions League?

I immensely enjoyed managing Nigeria at a World Cup before, and a good showing at such a competition will give your rep a big boost and open up some good offers to you.

Even if things go wrong early on, try to stick with one career. I've screwed up the start of mine (fired from Brighton after 6 months in charge) but am determined to climb back up.

I might try Man City, never been a Premiership team before.

Thats the thing, I get fired from a job, or don't get on with it, I give up, I need to start sticking with it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I might try Man City, never been a Premiership team before.

Thats the thing, I get fired from a job, or don't get on with it, I give up, I need to start sticking with it.

Quite. It's frustrating but so much sweeter when you end up ABOVE that club that didn't keep faith in you.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Despite my above post, I am usually pretty successful in FM so hopefully can help. You can stick with 442 and do reasonably well.

If you have confidence in your players, I suggest in team instructions push up Mentality to attacking 3/4 notches and with that, push up tempo (again if you have a fit midfield etc) and pull down passing style to short.

Then sit back and watch as your team play a quick short passing game a la Arsenal. Hopefully.

Otherwise I use 3 at the back, invest in 2 GOOD wing backs and just barrage the other team with a creative midfield and Murray/Robinson and Forster upfront.

Cool cheers mellotron, i'll keep it simple. See how i get on!!

Dizzle.

Aug 9, 2008
Perth, Australia
Started a new game on the 9.3.0 patch with Brighton. Havent signed anyone yet and my pre-season is going a bit rough. Scoring plenty of goals but leaking them way too much for my liking, think my tactics need some tweaking. Will keep you updated.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Started a new game on the 9.3.0 patch with Brighton. Havent signed anyone yet and my pre-season is going a bit rough. Scoring plenty of goals but leaking them way too much for my liking, think my tactics need some tweaking. Will keep you updated.

Let us know if you find a tactic that works, that is one thing i am having Majors probs with!!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm not happy with FM anymore.

Bought a Netbook (which has a 1024x600 screen), and figured FM will resize like EVERY other programme. But it doesn't. Not having it all on screen, and having to scroll around is incredibly annoying.

Unfortunately the 'Windowed' setting is disabled also.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I won the League with Gateshead, and i'm just about to start my BSP season now.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Hard drive crashed and I'd got through about 5 years of the game (just having got Brighton into Europe) without making a backup... Starting again now :(

seagulls1989

Mar 5, 2009
After winning the league in my second season as the seagulls i struggled in the championship and now the board are unhappy with the lack of harmony in the team. does anybody know how to solve this?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
After winning the league in my second season as the seagulls i struggled in the championship and now the board are unhappy with the lack of harmony in the team. does anybody know how to solve this?

I had that aswell. Just praise the individual players when they do well and it should be sorted:thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My Brighton team was cack, doing even worse than Micky was, and I was sacked by Christmas! Bloody Dick Knight! :laugh:

I'm currently managing Newcastle, just recently started. Owen Garvan is a revelation in the centre of my midfield, Lovenkrands is f***ing pathetic though.... So is Steve Harper....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here