Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

WorthinGull

Only One BHA
Oct 18, 2008
ive also started a new game with the 3.0 version.

i was brighton again, and have managed to do so much better, ive brought in decent players like Chris Neal (preston gk, 26k), Jordan Hadfield (macclesfield, 12k), Graeme Owens (middlesborough, 60k) and Ivan Rosado (Freebie)

Im currently 2 points clear the top of league 1, and have been knocked out of the league cup (3-0 v Ipswich)

i would defo recommend starting a game with brighton on the 3.0 version

:D

Mar 13, 2008
Man city team looking tasty.
mancityteamnewpatch20102.jpg

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Just reached the end of 2018/19 season with Brighton, new highest finishing spot of 12th in the Premiership. Good young team, but struggling to keep them with me rather than wandering off to "bigger clubs".

Question: Is it possible to get a new stadium after Falmer? We were sold out all season at 25000, but apparently the council won't allow any more expansion.

WorthinGull

Only One BHA
Oct 18, 2008
Going to start a new season with Brighton, any MUST players to buy?

Well, i dont know if he will have a club but he didnt on mine, a 34-year-old striker called Ivan Rosado, quite an old chap but scores a handful

hope it may help

:)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I didn't carry on my Stafford Save as they were in big, big debt. Wasn't even that fun. Started one with Gateshead I'm 4 games in and have 10 points :)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
11 games in with Gateshead.

1.Tamworth 25 pts.
2.Stalybridge 24 pts.
3.Gateshead 22 pts.
4.Harrogate 19 pts.
5.Workington 19 pts.

6.Alfreton 18 pts.

Fa Cup.
Gateshead 3-0 AFC Hornchurch 2nd Q round.
Gateshead 3-1 Dover Athletic 3rd Q round.

Conference League Cup.
Droylsden 4-2 Gateshead. (AET) 1st round.

How far into the game is everyone? I'm currently coming to the end of the 2021/2022 season.

I'm in (I think) 2019/20. Haven't posted in this thread because by the time I thought about doing so my squad was completely unrecognisable.

A brief summary; won League 1 first season, then spent 4 years in the Championship. Start of the 4th season there I was able to assemble a ridiculously good squad (including Kasper Schmeichel, Andrey Bischoff and several ace young players) and romped the division, having finished 6th the year before. Been in the Premiership now about 6 years, aided by buying a young striker from Leeds for £2.5m who became a wonderkid and is now the spearhead of Englands attack (at 23 he has 22 goals in about 38 starts). Just won the Premiership for the first time, and now in December moved to the top of the pile again, while fairing much better in the Champions League (looking like qualifying, after dive bombing last year in the group stages).

In terms of original Brighton players; there are none in my first team squad. Virgo was in the Reserves for ages, left eventually on a free, but I've just bought him back to sit in the reserves, so I can try to get him as a coach. Got Zamora when he was 34, no intention of playing him but convinced him to become a coach (although he is rubbish!). Bradley Johnson (who I bought 1st season) was the longest-serving player, but he left at the end of last season when his contract expired (and he wouldn't sign a new one). Elphick is playing for Wigan in the Premiership. Don't think anyone else of any note is still around.

I'm the same position as others wrt the Community Stadium; 25k and no more.

For anyone in the relatively early stages of a game in League 1 or the Championship; look for Gary Madine, who I think is at Scunthorpe. I bought him for £500k in the Championship, and he's still my 3rd choice striker now and brilliant. This game was started on the original database though, so he may be rubbish on later ones, not sure.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Going to start a new season with Brighton, any MUST players to buy?

Adam Le Fondre of Rochdale, by far the best signing i've made on it, you can usually gat him for under 100k and is way worth the money, shooting got up to 20 on mine inside three seasons
Sign him up in real life!!!!!!!!!!!
:bowdown:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
21 games in with Gateshead; Half way through the BSN season.

1. Tamworth - 44 pts.
2. Gateshead - 41 pts.
3. Southport - 39 pts.
4. Alfreton - 37 pts.
5. King's Lynn - 34 pts.

6. Workington - 33 pts.

Fa Cup.
Gateshead 2-0 Canvey Island 4th Q round.
Oxford United 1-1 Gateshead 1st round proper.
Gateshead 0-1 Oxford United 1st round proper (Replay).

Conference League Cup.

FA Trophy.
Gateshead 1-2 AFC Wimbledon 3rd Q round.

Half way through the season, sitting in 2nd place. Pretty happy with it so far, my 14 games unbeaten run has just come to a end with a 2-0 away defeat to Alfreton. Out of all cups (see above), but I'm pretty please with that so my players are fully fit for the remaining league Fixtures. Although I completly BATTERED Oxford, home & away. The 2nd round draw was ; Oxford United or Gateshead v Crewe.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
33 games in with Gateshead; 9 games to go.

1. Gateshead - 71 pts
2. Tamworth - 65 pts
3. Hinckley - 64 pts.
4. Harrogate - 61 pts.
5. AFC Telford 51 pts.

6. Southport 49 pts.

Fa Cup.
Gateshead 2-0 Canvey Island 4th Q round.
Oxford United 1-1 Gateshead 1st round proper.
Gateshead 0-1 Oxford United 1st round proper (Replay).

Conference League Cup.

FA Trophy.
Gateshead 1-2 AFC Wimbledon 3rd Q round.

9 games to go , 6 points clear, I should win the league from here, but I can feel a rot coming on. And I'm normally shit at FM, so taking 1 step at a time.

- Needs 3 more points to garuntee me a Top half finish.
- Needs 7 more points to garuntee me a Play-Off spot.
- Needs 17 more points to garuntee me a Top 4 finish.

Mon the Gateshead!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

FINALLY got my FM09 career going (also got FM Live on the go, also good but I prefer the set-your-own-pacing of FM09)

Started with BHA (who else?) - struggled throughout the season to hit form, and the board began to become frustrated as we were getting cut adrift from the playoff positions, floating between 12th-16th for the majority of the season.

Hit form and won 5 in a row, pushing myself to 8th. Then 2 losses and BANG. I'm fired. Never had this bad a start to an FM game before.

I went on holiday and ordered to apply for every job going. Have taken over at Burscough, a club looking like going down from the Blue Square Conference North. My heart is not in it so I let the ass. manager pick the team and basically do everything.

Gutted that Brighton fired me.

Will keep going and if I can miraculously keep Burscough up then I will see where I can get to.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
What tactics and training do you guys use? I am having immense trouble with Brighton at even winning a game 5 games in lost 4 and drew 1 0-0. Any tips? Cheers

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Haven't played this game for years, probably since about CM01...at which time I was addicted to it.

Always used to play with the Albion or Hearts, the problem with the former was that I could never get anyone to sign for me and with the latter all the good players used to leave for the Old Firm whenever they became good or their contracts were up for renewal.

One thing I learnt was never to go on holiday, on one occasion I took two weeks off (during the close season) and returned to find that the board had sold my best goalie...bastards!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here