Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Currently in my 5th season with Brighton and sitting confortably in 7th place in the Prem half way through the season. This is my second season in the top flight after a 16th place finish last season. Europe here we come.

Stumpy Tim

Bought it 3 days ago and I love it. Finished 7th in my first season as the Albion, but now top and unbeaten after 11 games - including 5 wins out of 5 away from Withdean. We're slightly struggling to score at home, but banging them in away. I've made some mixed signings.

Bridge-Wilkinson has disappointed, Daniel Jones at left-back is excellent, Danny Carlton has loads of pace and just scored a cracking hatrick at Barnsley. Lewis Price is a decent keeper and I got him for free. Even Bowditch is doing ok

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Right, firstly this is an excellent thread, spend most of my time on NSC reading it!!

Having purchased the game yesterday in Sainsburys for £19.54 is anyone wants it cheap I thought I'd post the story so far.

Started off as Brighton to see if it really is that hard a job!!

Was quite happy with the starting squad but am always looking to improve so went straight to the transfer market. First layer to catch my eye was Anthony Kay from Tranmere. At a price of £35k I thought it would be a good buy so I put a bid on the table, unfortunately this alerted other, bigger clubs and to cut a long story short he chose to sign for Leicester for £250K which was way out of my price range anyway.

Next I looked at the left wing as I wanted to play Cox on the right wing and thought that McLoud may not be up to it. I identified a left winger from Carlisle named Jeff Smith who had a price tag of £30K I tabled a bid of £35k hoping to ward off any other bids. Unfortunately this didn't work and Swansea came in with a bid of £65k.

Carlisle, for some reason accepted both bids and luckily Jeff was drawn by the prospect of 1st team football at Withdean, something that Swansea couldn't offer him and he signed for us.

Next was a back up striker as Sam Gargan & Johnny Dixon weren't in my plans. Not wanting to splash too much cash I looked at the free transfers and came across Malcolm Christie, a player who had gone off the rails in recent years but had tried to rebuild his career at Leeds. Although he wouldn't oust either of Forster or Murray he looked a decent back up so he joined.

Next was an invitation to view a trialists game, from this I was advised to look at Dan Smith & Jordan Hibbert by Barry Lloyd, these two looked like they could be good players for the future so both were signed on low wage contracts.

Straight away I could see that there were a couple of players that would play no part in our season. These two, Sam Gargan & Doug Loft were loaned out to Ebbsfleet & Bognor respectively.

Onto pre-season then.

There were 5 pre season friendlies already arranged for us so I stuck with them, they were:

Bognor
Worthing
Queens Park
Macclesfield
Bristol City

Everything was going well until we stepped up in class and played Bristol City. Before that game we has won all our friendlies and scored 10 goals and conceded none. Bristol City mind, were a different proposition and promptly thrashed us 3-0 at Withdean.

After that defeat we went into our opening League fixture against Millwall at home low on confidence. This showed when we were lucky enough to scrape a goalless draw.

Next up was a home tie in the Carling Cup against League 2 Brentford. Surely a chance to gain some much needed confidence. Things didn't start to well as Brentford took an early lead. Glenn Murray managed to head in from a corner to restore parity and at half time. The second half was a bit cagey and the tie went to extra time without any more goals. The team were told before extra team that there were fans here and to play for them, this pep talk seemed to work as Nicky Forster showed his class and scored a brace in extra time to send The Albion through 3-1 AET.

The reward fro that win was a home tie against arch rivals Crystal Palace. We were also given quiet a tasty tie in the JPT Trophy, again at home, this time hosting Leyton Orient.

Back to league duty and Brighton travelled to Bristol to take on Rovers. The defence were warned about the danger of Ricky Lambert, and done a good job at keeping him quiet. Unfortunately his strike partner was forgotten about and he pounced to score the only goal of the game.

Huddersfield at home was next, quite an eventful game that saw two disallowed goals and a late penalty appeal turned down for the visitors. BY this time though, Glenn Murray had put Nicky Forster through to score the only goal in a 1 nil victory.

Things are getting interesting and there will be more updates to come!!!

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
anyone having problems with this game just freezing and ultimately crashing? really annoying me! could well be my laptop - installed the game via Steam but just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem?

Stumpy Tim

anyone having problems with this game just freezing and ultimately crashing? really annoying me! could well be my laptop - installed the game via Steam but just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem?

Yes I did, and googled the problem. What you need to do is go to Options, Preferences & select Display & Sound on the left. Switch the Display Mode to Windowed. That solved that issue.

I later had an issue with a display driver too, and had to update that driver. No problems since.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Yes I did, and googled the problem. What you need to do is go to Options, Preferences & select Display & Sound on the left. Switch the Display Mode to Windowed. That solved that issue.

I later had an issue with a display driver too, and had to update that driver. No problems since.

greeat, I will try that. cheers.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My game won't give me the option of windowed mode... its greyed out. Anyone know why?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Got the game for Christmas. I played the demo before, and loved it. :clap:

But i must admit that i has taken quite some time for me to get into this game. It freezes sometimes for me, but then i just think to myself, "hey, fag break time!".

So. In my first year of management, I signed that Japanese lad from Celtic (free) and a goalkeeper from Rangers (110k). Also a left back was needed. So I signed a left back from Sheffield Wedenesday for 14k. (well worth it Gilbert or something.) I like to have 2 season long loans in my team which i got (AMC) from the Arse and Blackburn. The lad from Blackburn broke his leg in December so i sent him back. Replayced him with someone in the same position from Man City. I asked the borad for a parent club, the borad and i agreed Man City were the best option.

I finished that season in 18th place and did crap in all cup comps. It was long and hard.

So. We were 5 odd million in the red, not quike bakrupt but broke. The nice Mr Knight and the borad decided that they would invest 6.5 million into the club!! WOW! I was expecting to be taken over.

2nd season with 5.5 million to spend. I decided to get rid of most of the team. (to make more money sold most for about 1 million) and get better players in. I think i got around 13 players in spending around 2 million. 1.8 on a stricker from chalton? called church. A young land in the Irish under 21s who has sored more plenty of goals now.

With a whole new team. (I still have lynch, cox and Tommy) and in budget for wages, im now 7th in the league with around 10 games to go. Steve gritt is my assistant. (i always go for him). Have scouted Ireland for players and there are loads of young lads you can get. Cup runs are have been better and i look forward to a promotion this year. But now the moeny has gone again. More moeny for one more season Mr Knight! Looking forward to getting to Falmer :falmer: and loving Football Manager 2009.:clap2:

Will let you know if i get promoted this year.

Good luck in your game! Happy playing.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I'm a bit gutted because I tried a couple of things mentioned on here. Getting the Jap from Celtic for free, they wanted to charge me £220k. The getting a decent parent club - DK told me that after an extensive search there were no viable options.

Also Palace beat us 2-1 in the cup. Grrrr.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Will let you know if i get promoted this year.

I finish 8th after a poor run of draws.

This season the borad slashed my wages by 10k. Managed to get rid of about 4k.

When i tried to renew some contracts, it bloody crashed on me. MMM, i might start from where i saved it last and see if i get promoted this tie!! ;)

Is that cheating!?:yahoo:

WorthinGull

Only One BHA
Oct 18, 2008
Part 3 of my Brighton Story (its a long one, so get comfy!)

Date:
Monday 2nd Feb 2009

Transfers In:
Pete Gilbert: 20k from Shef Weds
Robbie Fowler: Free
Lee Robinson: Free from Rangers (Deal goes through on 2nd June 09)
Marlon Broomes: 24k from Blackpool
Robbie Weir: End Of Season Loan from Sunderland
Fedrico Macheda: Loan from Man U
Mindaugas Kalonas: Free

Transfers Out:
Matt Richards returns to Ipswich
Joe Anyinsah returns to Preston
Michel Kuipers: 28k to AZ
Scott Chamberlain: Dag n Reg (Free)
Donovan Simmonds: Loan to Worthing
Jonny Dixon: Loan to Mansfield
Tom Fraser: 10k to Bury
Doug Loft: 10k to Macclesfield
Steve Thomson: 30k to Plymouth

Results (Since Last Update):
Yeovil 0-2 Brighton. FA Cup 1st Rnd
Crewe 2-1 Brighton. League
Leyton O 1-0 Brighton. League
Brighton 1-0 Cheltenham. League
Brighton 1-0 Gillingham. FA Cup 2nd Rnd
N'hampton 0-0 Brighton. League
Brighton 0-0 Hartlepool. League
Peterbrough 1-3 Brighton. League
Brighton 3-3 Swindon. League
Stockport 1-0 Brighton. League
Exeter 0-2 Brighton. FA Cup 3rd Rnd
Colchester 1-1 Brighton. League
Southend 2-2 Brighton. League
Pompey 3-1 Brighton. FA Cup 4th Rnd
Tranmere 3-0 Brighton. League
Brighton 1-3 Leicester. League

Strongest Team:
GK Oakes, DL Gilbert, DR Telfer, DC Elphick/Lynch, ML Ljungberg, MR Robinson, MC Tacchinardi/Kolonas, FC Forster/Murray

Best Overalls:
K.Mcleod: 7.44, T.Elphick: 7.05, Murray: 7.03

Top Goalscorer:
Forster: 11

Summary:
Happy with some results then disappointed with Stockport result. Not sad about Pompey result as they were full strength.
Happy also with signings like Kolonas and Fowler
Just hope this half of the season can be better
Roll it on!
Also have accuired Man United as my parent club
And have Eastborne Boro as another feeder club

Part 4 Soon(ish)

Mar 13, 2008
Started as unemployed. Got offered jobs by River Plate and Sunderland, Took the sunderland job. Doin fairly well in the market and draw with Blackburn first game of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here