Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Still in my first season. Just approaching the January transfer window deadline day. Shipped out a lot of dead wood so my reserve and youth teams are rather thin on the ground but my wage budget is now back on target.

I have terminated the loan spell of West Brom's Bartosz Slusarski who did diddly squat bar one 2-goal salvo against Yeovil and in his place have loaned Rhys Murphy from the Arse. He has already put in some good performances and notched a couple of goals which is taking the pressure off Glenn and Nicky.

The fans were impressed with a young Danish midfielder who is rated as a very good prospect for the future and I've also signed up a young striker from Senegal who has very good stats for his age and seems to be impressing my coaches.

Picked up Miguel Rebosio, former Peruvian international defender, as he was out of contract and he seems very solid. Sadly this has spelled the end for Hinshelwood however as I've already got Elphick moaning that he's not getting games what with Virgs and Lynch performing so well.

I've also let Richards go back to Ipswich as he just wasn't getting any games.

Currently second in the table with Koki Mizuno and David Livermore my best performers. They are closely followed by Ljungberg, Forster and my entire back four.

And despite the fact that I've only managed half a season I'm currently favourite for the vacant managers job at struggling Blackburn following the potentially prophetic sacking of Ince.

Flattered though I am and tempted by having money to spend in the Premiership I don't think I can leave my beloved Albion midway through the season. I came here to do a job and intend on seeing it through.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
UPDATE... Well well well, what's this?:ohmy:

Attachments

• man of month.jpg
    man of month.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 203

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
2nd in league after nine games..... first choice Ignac and Hukkola injured but Livermore, Luisma and the defence on top form... five points clear from third place .. basically we've won every game but one....... looking good... very good!!!!

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
How are you people doing it?
What type of football are you playing, counter attacking, defensive, long ball, short passing? Any advice ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
How are you people doing it?
What type of football are you playing, counter attacking, defensive, long ball, short passing? Any advice ?

Dont think its that simple..... its all about getting the right tactic for the right players... found that with 2009 you are thinking more about each individual person in each position so much less focus on the team tactics... or maybe I should have been doing that earlier....

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just played my first league game in the Championship (season 2), lost 1-0 away to Derby. It was probably a fair result, but we had more than enough chances to get something as it was a very open game. The signings all look ok, just brought trundle in on loan as a back up striker after Mifsud was ruled out for two weeks, and im not paying Bristol City anything. Personally, im playing a similar way to last year, man marking, defenders not too far back but not pushed too high. I have set it to play the ball out wide, and counter attack, with the option of using the playmaker who is Delph and Bodde. But as people have said, it depends who you sign, and who you pick because different squads need different tactics.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Just finished November in the first season, sitting in sixth after a good run of form that saw me pick up manager of the month. Murray's on fire, scoring 8 in his last 5 games. Also through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, where I've got Pompey at home.

I've mainly signed loan players, got Mark Randall and Fran Merida from Arsenal (both class) and Bartosz Slusarski from WBA (a bit shit and went nearly 700 minutes without scoring). Also a left-back called Dan Smith picked up for free after a trial. He's hardly played because of Richards' good form though. Had my eyes on Koki Mizuno but then Celtic decided they actually liked him, so I'll need to look elsewhere for another MR as I really missed Cox when he was out for a month. I'm right on the wage budget though so will need to do some dealing in January methinks. Lynch might be on the way out if I can get a decent price for him, I'd also do a lot to be rid of Hart, Mayo, Loft and Dixon!

I decided to keep Hinshelwood too and he's done pretty well filling in for Whing who's injured, though he won't get a game in the middle as Virgo and Elphick are forming a good partnership.

Things could get interesting come January though as I think it's going to be tricky to hold on to Richards, and maybe a couple of other players too. So maybe I'll have a Wilkins-like xmas meltdown?

Edit: I also REALLY badly want to get rid of Hawkins. Total waste of space.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Hawkins is a total nightmare.

He's never going to get a game but you can't even give him away and because he's contracted for years on a decent wage you can't just terminate his contract without paying a high penalty.

I've tried offloading him so many times and NOBODY will go near him.

A f***ing BLIGHT

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I gave the Hawk a chance in the first two friendlies and he was clearly the worst player on the pitch. So consigned him to reserves, tried to flog him or loan him.

Now beginning of October he's been man of match three times in a row for the reserves. As Hinsh is back he's well down the pecking order and I would love to get him off the books but maybe he DOES improve with the right training.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hawkins has played one game for me, JPT against Bournemouth. It went to penalties. He missed. We lost.

Dixon seems to get a lot of MoM awards in the reserves but he's f***ing awful and my strikers are on fire so still no chance of a game!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am falling out MASSIVELY with Dick Knight, sold 3 of my best players without me having a say in it.

Elphick £350k
Delph £675k
Gerkin £425k

All my hard work of the first season, losing to Leeds in the play off final has come undone. I got loads of money, but need someone to buy before the season starts in 28 days time

Trying to get Daniel Sturridge who was released by Man City, but I think he will opt for a bigger club.

Need to add to my strikers, only got Murray, Nathan Tyson and an ageing NIcky Forster

Signed Chris Taylor from Oldham, Jerel Ifil from Swindon and Brian Stock from Doncaster so far, but not as good as what I have sold.

Dizzle.

Aug 9, 2008
Perth, Australia
I am falling out MASSIVELY with Dick Knight, sold 3 of my best players without me having a say in it.

Elphick £350k
Delph £675k
Gerkin £425k

All my hard work of the first season, losing to Leeds in the play off final has come undone. I got loads of money, but need someone to buy before the season starts in 28 days time

Trying to get Daniel Sturridge who was released by Man City, but I think he will opt for a bigger club.

Need to add to my strikers, only got Murray, Nathan Tyson and an ageing NIcky Forster

Signed Chris Taylor from Oldham, Jerel Ifil from Swindon and Brian Stock from Doncaster so far, but not as good as what I have sold.

You no you can stop your players from leaving after the board accepts an offer for you??

All you have to do is offer your players a new contract and they will stay :thumbsup:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Just been drawn against Walton Casuals in the 4th Quals round on the FA Cup - Odds; AFCW 1/12 - Walton Casuals 30/1

In the league im 15 games in, and have 15 points, which is keeping me JUST above the relagation zone. :D

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
You no you can stop your players from leaving after the board accepts an offer for you??

All you have to do is offer your players a new contract and they will stay :thumbsup:

Or go into the players transfer status, click on the accepted offer and then cancel it.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Just been drawn against Walton Casuals in the 4th Quals round on the FA Cup - Odds; AFCW 1/12 - Walton Casuals 30/1

In the league im 15 games in, and have 15 points, which is keeping me JUST above the relagation zone. :D

I won 3-1 :) - Job done.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To those who have asked how X person got job offers during the first season, or after not exactly doing great the answer is this;

They set their "past experience" to a higher level, likely Professional Footballer or above :)

For a more challenging game, try setting it to "Automatic", and because of your unknown standing certain players will not play for you that you might've got previously.

Also, you have to work hard to build a reputation and keep it, rather than start with high reputation stats :)

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Second season transfer window July
In
Lita (free) Reading
Goulbourne (free) Reading
Heaton(free) Man Utd
Commons 375k Derby
Nyatanga 475k Derby
Perch 200k Nottm Forest
Doyley 140k Watford
Simpson Loan Arsenal
Lansbury Loan Arsenal
Randall Loan Arsenal
Nordtveit Loan Arsenal
Sodje free

Out
Ljungberg 3m Fulham
Virgo 250k Blackpool, Mickey Adams first signing as new manager there
Hawkins 80k Forest
Kuipers 85k West Ham
Compton 3k Cambridge
Loft 22k Bournemouth
McLeod 65k Forest
Whing 375k Blackpool
El-Abd 45k Mk Dons

Rebuilt my backroom staff full of FLAIR.

Stoke away first game of the season 1-1, Elphick kept Zamora quiet the whole game, 30 yard drive from Delph in the 86th minute saved my blushes

After a break from the game, I've fallen back in love with it. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports