Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
FFS Dick. He says £450k is too good an offer to refuse for this youth product.

my.php

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Lizard whats your secret with Murray?!

Wish i knew!
With the right training he does get pretty good. Top notch attacking, shooting and fitness coaches help.
I'm just about to sell him though, he's worth 1.3M now, not sure i should but Newcastle just offered 2.4M. That'll build me a squad to stay up in the championship so i guess it's probably a good idea, got my eye on a couple of players that i can't afford.
That'll leave me with Forster, Robinson and Fowler up front in the championship, something tells me i need to sign a couple of strikers!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Time for an Update,
well, first season couldnt of gone much better, just finished my final game of the season away to peterborough and lost 2-1. However, that didnt bother me, because i had already won the division being 7 points clear of Swindon Town in second. It was Swindon who came up with me, thanks mainly to a 60 goal partnership between cox (simon) and paynter. My top scorer was Murray with 13, simpson got 9 in the league in just over half a season, and delph, forster, and fowler all got 8 league goals each.
My main strength, like others was the defence, with less than a goal a game conceded, and my goals scored ratio being about 1.9 a game. Delph was probably sigining of the season, although he cost me a bit he really made an impact, with 7 m.o.m during the season. Sergey Kislyak was also class, picked up on a free transfer, now worth 800k 4 months on, and one of my best players.
Highlight of my season has to be beating leeds 5-1 at home :cool:, and a 3-2 win away at swindon, after being 2-1 down with 10 to go, i put virgs up top and went direct, and he scored twice in the last 6 minutes. If i hadnt of won that game i think they may have started to catch up with me. The date is may 5th, so im just waiting for the transfer window to start really to boost my squad. Forster and fowler are probably past it, so need some new strikers, looking at cameron jerome, matty fryatt, and lambert from brizzle rovers.
If anyone wants me to keep writing updates, just say, cos im more than happy to do so.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I've just started my second season in the championship with two defeats to newly relegated sides.
Brighton 2-3 Fulham
Stoke 1-0 Brighton

I told the board that I was aiming at a mid table finish, which i feel is realistically achievable.

I've been busy in the transfer market.

Players out:-
Murray 2.4M - Hull (he picked Hull over Newcastle)
Whing 500K - QPR
Richards 250K - Kilmarnock
Livermore 220K - Hibernian
Hinshelwood 200K - Preston
Fraser 150K - Brentford
Thomson 100K - Oldham
Wills 70K - Exeter
Loft 30K - Cambridge
Gargan 24K - Macclesfield
Fowler Free - Hartlepool (at last!)
Hart Released
Pearson Released
Royce Released

Players In:-
Murphy 1.2M - Sunderland
Adiyiah 1M - Fredrikstad
Johnson 450K - Leeds
Shakhov 300K - Dnipro
Bjarnason 250K - Viking
Pearce 150K - Birmingham
Seitz 80K - Salt Lake
Offei 40K - H. Petach-Tikva
Laudrup 20K - Lyngby
Sibierski Free - Out of contract
Ozgogan Free - Out of contract
Van Impe Free - Out of contract
Soley Free - Out of contract
Ross Free - Out of contract

I think I've more than made up for the departure of Murray and i'm just hoping that the two league defeats were due to the squad still settling and the fact that the firsttwo games were against teams that dropped from the prem last season. The squad is looking pretty good now so if i can hit mid table this season then next i'm hoping to make a playoff challenge. I've bought a lot of young players and they keep getting better every game, training seems to be going well and i have half a dozen that the coaches reacon have excellent potential.
All in all going well despite the minor set back.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Cardiff bid £350k for Tommy Elphick, and Dick Knight accepted it without my permission, now I have a massive gap to plug, any advice on central defenders in the first season (Jan transfer window)

I have Arsenal as my parent club, so can get Gavin Hoyte on loan, but he is too young for my liking.

Starting pairing is now Hinshlewood and Virgo, but not sure how good that will be

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Arent some of you a bit old for Football Manager???

Im 41 and have absolutely no intention of giving up. Would much rasther use the brain cells playing FM than vegetating in front of the TV

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Cardiff bid £350k for Tommy Elphick, and Dick Knight accepted it without my permission, now I have a massive gap to plug, any advice on central defenders in the first season (Jan transfer window)

I have Arsenal as my parent club, so can get Gavin Hoyte on loan, but he is too young for my liking.

Starting pairing is now Hinshlewood and Virgo, but not sure how good that will be

Hinsh is pretty good still

Dizzle.

Aug 9, 2008
Perth, Australia

try Zakuani.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My update number 2 is now null and void. Dont know how why but the game didnt save so had to start again from the Barnsley game. Beat Barnsley, Sheff utd and drew with a reserve team with Stansted. Didnt buy the guy from Wolfsburg because my wages were spiralling. Picked up Dan cant remember his surname , the left back from the triallists, which allowed me to send back Richards and save money. With Babayaro I really dont need Richards. This time my parent club is Aresenal and they've sent me Henri Lansbury who'll get his first game next week. Still 5000 over in terms of wages because I can't get anyone off the books. There's a lot of interest though so hoping by the time the transfer market closes we'll get rid of someone and bring the wage bill down.

Ivano is still moaning about the gap between defence, midfield and forwards... don't think we've got the tactics quite right yet. Ipswich and Bognor friendlies to come and then Oldham away first game. Let you know how it goes.

By the way has anyone tried being Lewes? Surely THAT would be a challenge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here