Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I usually play one centre midfield more attacking and one midfielder more defensive.... could that confuse the system thinking that they are more attacking than they really are. I even have one midfilder arrowed back so it doesn't seem to make sense.

What's the players mentality on the mentality slider. I think you want to try and keep the difference to about 5 notches difference max.

Having said that, you don't always need to worry about it, you might have to big a gap that can be exploited but it could work if teams aren't good enough to exploit it.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Well having not bothered to read the box when I brought it I didn't realise it was a DVD disc which won't work on my PC. So I spend 3 days downloading it from a torrent site. Load it up and my graphics card is not up to it :censored:

So time to upgrade to a new PC in the new year. In the mean time can anyone point me towards a website where I can update last years version with the new players ect???? Thanks

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Just a quick question - are you supposed to get press conferences for every game? Cos I had them for my first two but nothing after that.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
What's the players mentality on the mentality slider. I think you want to try and keep the difference to about 5 notches difference max.

Having said that, you don't always need to worry about it, you might have to big a gap that can be exploited but it could work if teams aren't good enough to exploit it.

Checked and there is 5 notches diff max.... I'll cut it down to 4 and see what happens

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Well having not bothered to read the box when I brought it I didn't realise it was a DVD disc which won't work on my PC. So I spend 3 days downloading it from a torrent site. Load it up and my graphics card is not up to it :censored:

Is this just for the 3d bit that your graphics card isn't up to though? Have you tried turning that option off?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
FFS

Everytime I attempt to start a match my bastard laptop crashes. Being a technophobe - what the hell does this mean?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
FFS

Everytime I attempt to start a match my bastard laptop crashes. Being a technophobe - what the hell does this mean?

Have you got the 3D turned on? If so, try turning it off. It might be that your laptop graphics card can't cope with it. SI said in this case it would automatically switch to 2D, but it doesn't - it crashes instead.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Just a quick question - are you supposed to get press conferences for every game? Cos I had them for my first two but nothing after that.

No, haven't had one for ages either. Find them all borning now anyways as they're always the same.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Started a new career with Sheffield United.

Given a £4m transfer budget, £2.8m of which went on Ricardo Costa who has been a quality centre back all season. Him and Kilgallon have been immense, and have helped me to 7th in the table despite some below-par strikers in Henderson, Sharp, Beattie, Cotterill and Webber.

League Cup:

1st Round - Morecombe (A) - 2-1
2nd Round - Leeds (A) - 2-0
3rd Round - Plymouth (A) - 2-0
4th Round - Sunderland (H) - 3-2 AET
Quarter-Final - Tottenham (H) - 0-3

FA Cup:

3rd Round - Man United (H) - 1-1
3rd Replay - Man United (A) - 0-2

Pushing for play offs with 6 games to go:clap:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Have you got the 3D turned on? If so, try turning it off. It might be that your laptop graphics card can't cope with it. SI said in this case it would automatically switch to 2D, but it doesn't - it crashes instead.

Where is the option to turn 3d off?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Time for an update! :)

PART FIVE: :albion2:

DATE:

Sunday 21st February 2010

LEAGUE TABLE:

1st Derby County - 61pts
2nd Wolverhampton Wanderers - 61pts
3rd Southampton - 60pts
4th Stoke City - 60pts
5th Wigan Athletic - 59pts
6th Leeds United - 56pts
7th Blackpool - 56pts
8th Hull City - 55pts
9th Crystal Palace - 55pts
10th Brighton & Hove Albion - 53pts
11th Watford - 51pts
12th Nottingham Forest - 51pts

22nd Barnsley - 26pts
23rd Preston North End - 22pts
24th Oldham Athletic - 19pts

All teams played 33 games.

CUP COMPETITIONS:

League Cup First Round - Kettering (L2) (H) 4-0

League Cup Second Round - Bolton Wanderers (PREM) (A) 0-1

FA Cup Third Round - Portsmouth (PREM) (H) 3-2
(Amazing come back!!! 1-2 down, then goals from first-year scholar Nick Ayres (86) on his debut, and Wade Elliott (89) sealed a famous victory against Premier League opposition!)

FA Cup Fourth Round - Chelsea (PREM) (H) 0-1
(Lost to our parent club..)

TRANSFERS SINCE LAST UPDATE:

IN:

Mikkel Jensen - Charlton Athletic (£26k)
Mark Randall - Arsenal (Loan)
Nwankwo Kanu - West Bromwich Albion (Loan)
Ville Kouvalainen - IFK Mariehamn (Free)
Gareth Read - Professional deal from Youth
Dave Burchell - Professional deal from Youth
Jamie Sambrook - Professional deal from Youth
Ryan Thomson - Professional deal from Youth
Connor Wilkins - Professional deal from Youth
Wayne Parry - Professional deal from Youth
Chris Rogers - Professional deal from Youth

OUT:

Ville Kouvalainen - MK Dons (Loan)
Florent Pepsi - Millwall (Loan)
Oliver Rowe - Weymouth (Loan)
Steve Brinkhurst - Kettering Town (Loan)
Lewis Ide - Grays Athletic (Loan)
Sergio Tejera - Chelsea (Loan Terminated)
Mark Randall (Loan Ended)

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW:

Sent Sergio Tejera back to parent club Chelsea, after only one start, and one substitute appearance, both coming in the League Cup.

In came Mark Randall on a three month loan, who acted as substitute cover for Douglas and Livermore, also managing 4 starts and one goal. He declined to renew his loan contract, and is now back at Arsenal.

Landed Mikkel Jensen, Danish U-21 international, on transfer window deadline day at the start of the season, who is acting as useful cover in the centre of the park.

Also brought in young Finnish U-21 international Kouvalainen on a free, before loaning him immediately out to be MK Dons first choice keeper. Unfortunately, he broke a finger on his debut.

Landed one of the shocks of the transfer window by getting Nwankwo Kanu on loan in a three month deal, which expires at the start of April. He has been excellent; 8 starts, 3 goals, 2 assists (1 MOM), av. rat. 7.15
Paying £0p/w for the duration of the loan, with West Brom paying the full £14,750p/w!! (Thought they'd fixed that by now?)

CURRENT TEAM:

My "strongest" team, as of today, ignoring injuries/suspensions is;

Randolph (GK), Laribi (LB), Senda (RB), Lynch (CB), Basle (CB), Neal (LW), Elliott (RW), Livermore (CM), Douglas (CM), Kanu (ST), Fryatt (ST)

CONCLUSION:

Really strange season, most of our wins have come in the form of scraping one goal victories, and we when have lost we have lost heavily - particularly away from home. This has led to a bad overall goal difference of -1, which belies our league position. Also, pretty much every game we have won, with a few exceptions, the final "commentary" comment has been "Brighton win, but in truth it was a poor match". I feel like Stoke :lolol:
Go from an excellent result 1-4 win against Ipswich (A) - to a terrible one 0-3 loss to Hull City (H), back to an excellent one!

Lost to Palace (A) 0-1.. :nono:bit unlucky, with Palace scoring their only shot on goal (leading to Westerveld being given a spell in the reserves..)

So, 13 games remaining and currently three points off the last playoff place, and (surely) safe from relegation. A good season so far!!! :clap2:

IN OTHER NEWS:

CKR has signed for Wigan for £3.7m - played against us up front in our last game and managed a 5.7!

Now have one parent club (Chelsea) and four feeder clubs (Montrose - SC3, Dundalk - ROI, Bognor Regis Town - NL, Grimsby Town - L2) - but have just asked to make a link with another parent club, and the board asked me if I had any preference as to what type of link - first time I've ever had that option!!!

Man City's signings this season;

Falcao (River) - £25m
Coloccini (Newcastle) - £17.5m
Hubschman (Shakhtar) - £12.25m
Nocerino (Palermo) - £10.75m
Brunt (West Brom) - £9.5m
Salcido (PSV) - £8.25m
Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow) - £6m
Pizarro (Chelsea) - £4.8m
Valencia (Wigan) - £4m
Total: £98m

£15.5 MILLION for CHRIS BRUNT and LUKE WILKSHIRE. Worst signings ever?

Dave Jones - new Reading manager
Stevie Coppell - new West Brom manager
Sam Allardyce - new Bolton manager

Last edited:

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Time for an update! :)

PART FIVE: :albion2:

DATE:

Sunday 21st February 2010

LEAGUE TABLE:

1st Derby County - 61pts
2nd Wolverhampton Wanderers - 61pts
3rd Southampton - 60pts
4th Stoke City - 60pts
5th Wigan Athletic - 59pts
6th Leeds United - 56pts
7th Blackpool - 56pts
8th Hull City - 55pts
9th Crystal Palace - 55pts
10th Brighton & Hove Albion - 53pts
11th Watford - 51pts
12th Nottingham Forest - 51pts

22nd Barnsley - 26pts
23rd Preston North End - 22pts
24th Oldham Athletic - 19pts

All teams played 33 games.

CUP COMPETITIONS:

League Cup First Round - Kettering (L2) (H) 4-0

League Cup Second Round - Bolton Wanderers (PREM) (A) 0-1

FA Cup Third Round - Portsmouth (PREM) (H) 3-2
(Amazing come back!!! 1-2 down, then goals from first-year scholar Nick Ayres (86) on his debut, and Wade Elliott (89) sealed a famous victory against Premier League opposition!)

FA Cup Fourth Round - Chelsea (PREM) (H) 0-1
(Lost to our parent club..)

TRANSFERS SINCE LAST UPDATE:

IN:

Mikkel Jensen - Charlton Athletic (£26k)
Mark Randall - Arsenal (Loan)
Nwankwo Kanu - West Bromwich Albion (Loan)
Ville Kouvalainen - IFK Mariehamn (Free)
Gareth Read - Professional deal from Youth
Dave Burchell - Professional deal from Youth
Jamie Sambrook - Professional deal from Youth
Ryan Thomson - Professional deal from Youth
Connor Wilkins - Professional deal from Youth
Wayne Parry - Professional deal from Youth
Chris Rogers - Professional deal from Youth

OUT:

Ville Kouvalainen - MK Dons (Loan)
Florent Pepsi - Millwall (Loan)
Oliver Rowe - Weymouth (Loan)
Steve Brinkhurst - Kettering Town (Loan)
Lewis Ide - Grays Athletic (Loan)
Sergio Tejera - Chelsea (Loan Terminated)
Mark Randall (Loan Ended)

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW:

Sent Sergio Tejera back to parent club Chelsea, after only one start, and one substitute appearance, both coming in the League Cup.

In came Mark Randall on a three month loan, who acted as substitute cover for Douglas and Livermore, also managing 4 starts and one goal. He declined to renew his loan contract, and is now back at Arsenal.

Landed Mikkel Jensen, Danish U-21 international, on transfer window deadline day at the start of the season, who is acting as useful cover in the centre of the park.

Also brought in young Finnish U-21 international Kouvalainen on a free, before loaning him immediately out to be MK Dons first choice keeper. Unfortunately, he broke a finger on his debut.

Landed one of the shocks of the transfer window by getting Nwankwo Kanu on loan in a three month deal, which expires at the start of April. He has been excellent; 8 starts, 3 goals, 2 assists (1 MOM), av. rat. 7.15
Paying £0p/w for the duration of the loan, with West Brom paying the full £14,750p/w!! (Thought they'd fixed that by now?)

CURRENT TEAM:

My "strongest" team, as of today, ignoring injuries/suspensions is;

Randolph (GK), Laribi (LB), Senda (RB), Lynch (CB), Basle (CB), Neal (LW), Elliott (RW), Livermore (CM), Douglas (CM), Kanu (ST), Fryatt (ST)

CONCLUSION:

Really strange season, most of our wins have come in the form of scraping one goal victories, and we when have lost we have lost heavily - particularly away from home. This has led to a bad overall goal difference of -1, which belies our league position. Also, pretty much every game we have one, with a few exceptions, the final "commentary" comment has been "Brighton win, but in truth it was a poor match". I feel like Stoke :lolol:
Go from an excellent result 1-4 win against Ipswich (A) - to a terrible one 0-3 loss to Hull City (H), back to an excellent one!

Lost to Palace (A) 0-1.. :nono:bit unlucky, with Palace scoring their only shot on goal (leading to Westerveld being given a spell in the reserves..)

So, 13 games remaining and currently three points off the last playoff place, and (surely) safe from relegation. A good season so far!!! :clap2:

IN OTHER NEWS:

CKR has signed for Wigan for £3.7m - played against us up front in our last game and managed a 5.7!

Now have one parent club (Chelsea) and four feeder clubs (Montrose - SC3, Dundalk - ROI, Bognor Regis Town - NL, Grimsby Town - L2) - but have just asked to make a link with another parent club, and the board asked me if I had any preference as to what type of link - first time I've ever had that option!!!

Man City's signings this season;

Falcao (River) - £25m
Coloccini (Newcastle) - £17.5m
Hubschman (Shakhtar) - £12.25m
Nocerino (Palermo) - £10.75m
Brunt (West Brom) - £9.5m
Salcido (PSV) - £8.25m
Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow) - £6m
Pizarro (Chelsea) - £4.8m
Valencia (Wigan) - £4m
Total: £98m

£15.5 MILLION for CHRIS BRUNT and LUKE WILKSHIRE. Worst signings ever?

Dave Jones - new Reading manager
Stevie Coppell - new West Brom manager
Sam Allardyce - new Bolton manager

What a post:bowdown:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I'm just about to start my 3rd season with AFC Wimbledon - In the Blue Square Premier:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports