Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Right... my turn.

Don't get the disc till two weeks Monday so this season starts onthe demo but I assumethat I'll be able to continue and if not I'll learn from it.

So now we're two friednlies in and what has happened is:

First of all can't sell anyone - Had a 70k bid for Loft but spread over 24 months and needed the moeny so turned it down. Gargan and Gatting keep getting loan offers. There is interest in Robinson and Fraser but no offers yet and I would sell them.

But have been busy spending my 100K and have done VERY WELL INDEED!

First in: Celestine Babayaro on a free and got the whole club excited. This allowed me to play Richards on the wing first friendly and he was MUCH more effective than McLeod who is not lookng too good.

Who else did I get in?

Mascio from Cisco Roma for 28k - stunning set piece taker - MUST
Pierre Alexandre Pachino Galuppo - 2k - striker for the future
Seyfo Soley - free - Mickey thought this was a great bit of business
Luisma - left winger - the dogs bollocks!!!! 20k - Again the club got excited but then Luisma pissed them off by saying that Brighton was just a step to greater things. I'll sort him out. Also great at set pieces.
Ingvar Jonnson - free - great GK talent for the future - another one the board liked
Fuad Hyseni - striker for the future - free
Eoin Powderley - young Irish left back 1k
Howard Beverland - young Irısh right back - 3k
Manu Gavilan - free striker for the future

Deano and both agree we are still a bıit weak right wing and keeper (however see below). Deano is really excited about the impending 18k transfer of Brian Murphy from Bohemians however and if I can sell some players I'll get Juha Hatola in but they want 100k. Failing that I'll have to look for loans I think or hope I soon get the parent club I've asked for.

Oh and waiting for a work permit for Nenad Injac who I think will really challenge Murray and Forster.

I havent been so succesul with the coaches. Unlike FM2008, the board wont let me go over my coach limit and although got all my training schedules in I really need to change my staff. Ho-hum

Put my favoured tactics in but dissapointed that the arrows are only short and straight. Is this a demo thing? Hope so.

So.. to the games:

Arranged a quick friendly with Andover to begin. Pretty much the starting squad plus Babayaro.

Well.. struggled TBH. Won 2-1 with a late goal from Murray. Guess who got sent off?

HAWKINS!!!!!!! His first and last game!! Tranfer listed and offered but don't think he'll go.

What was good was that Dan Royce had a good game in the second half and also liked the look of Dunk and Ide who played 45 minutes. Kipper had a mare and Deano hates his kicking (actually Ingvar seems to have the same problem...hope Murphy is better).

Next up the money-spinner... Bayern MUnich andf this was the first look at the newbies. Problem right form the start was that Galuppo seems incapable of communicating with anyone!!!!! Shades of the Fast Show!!!

Anyway BM fielded a full team and I thought, as it was a bit of fun... I'll play normal tactics and see how we go. Half-time 2-0 down and pretty much outplayed. Kipper though had a blinder and there were some good signs, especially a fast improvement in defence. Dodgy penalty given too.

second half I thought we'd play tighter at the back and more defensive counter attack.......

Two minutes in Rensing and Van Buyten tangled and Forster left with an open goal.... 2-1!!!!!

Ten minutes later high ball out. Van Buyten completely missed the header, Forster brought it down and slammed it on off the post from 25 yards!!!! STUNNING!!!!!!! 2-2

From then rear guard action and a late Thomson shot tipped wide. RESULT!!!!

Newbies looked good and feeling confident.

Love having the AssMan comments but can't find the 'Ass Man compiles loan' thingie previously mentioned. Any ideas anyone?

Further updates later.
Cheers

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Last night, I finished my first season, and performed beyond expectations as I masterminded a promotion to the Championship via a cheeky 1-0 win in the final against Oldham, and two 0-0 draws in the semis against Millwall, going through on PENNOS.

Murray nothced 24 in all competitions.
Having sold Virgo for £400k, Lynch for £375k and Robinson for £200k. I managed to change our season around by signing
Brett Omerod, £80k
Dean Gherkin the Colchester Keeper for £300k
Fabian Delph for £250k
Ishmael Demontagnac for £100k
Daniel Jones left back from Wolves for £30k
Darren Chambers centre back from Forest £30k

Gherkin, saved my season and I stopped conceeding so many goals.

For some reason Kane Wills is worth £400k on my team despite not ever playing him, but I cannot get a team to buy him

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
What teams have been promoted to the BSS in the second and third season for everyone else.

On my game I had Horsham and Leigh Genisis in the seond season (both got relegated) and in my 3rd season we got FC United of Manchester.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
murray lol.jpg

Thought some people on here might appreciate the first entry in the 'preferred moves' bit.

Three friendlies in, I've brought in some Polish striker on loan from WBA who's injured and also Mark Randall from Arsenal, who's class. Won all three games but they were against non-league teams, so not really sure how it's going to go yet...

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Three friendlies in, I've brought in some Polish striker on loan from WBA who's injured

Slusarski, he's woeful and the board and fans HATE me for picking him up on loan. But a lack of options or any money to spend on player wages mean I am stuck with him.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Thought some people on here might appreciate the first entry in the 'preferred moves' bit.

I noticed that as well, I told him to stop being offside so much and told me to piss off:angry:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Slusarski, he's woeful and the board and fans HATE me for picking him up on loan. But a lack of options or any money to spend on player wages mean I am stuck with him.

That's encouraging, we'll have to see how he does. Random crash whilst beating Watford means I'm back down to having played two friendlies again, if I get a big injury in the third one I'll be VERY annoyed!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Quick question........in Dean Whites "team feedback" on the matchday screen it always tells me "there is far to much space between the midfield and defence and is being exploited time and time again".

What do i need to do tacticaly to solve this problem? It could be the reason why im getting tonked every game and bottom of the leauge.

The difference in mentality between your defenders and midfielders is too large. I suspect you have your defenders pretty defensive and your midfielders pushing on to support the attack? You may want to consider making your defenders a bit more attack minded or your defenders a bit more defensive.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Got a couple of hours to play last night so here's Part Two:

As I said I wasn't happy about the staff. Seems Deano is a pretty good Ass Man for the division but with so few coaches allowed he's a liability as he has no training skills. I started by getting rid of Vic Bragg as I thought I could cover being good with youngsters. Dick then decided we only needed THREE coaches so I had got rid of a coach at cost for nothing!:rant:

Still... I found the perfect answer. Sacked Dean White and got in Ivano Bordon who is not only a good Ass Man with high stats on Judging Ability and Potentail Ability but also is a better GK coach than Crichton. That allowed me to sack Crichton (only 12k compensation agreed) and get in a good technique coach.

Training sorted.

Good news followed... a 180k bid for Robinson from Cardiff which I promptly accepted... this financed the transfers of Hutola and Injac. I also picked up Milos Djordevic on a free from Wolfsburg as one for the future and I think we're now done with players in. Again the club is really excited about Injac and he scored in his first game.

Wright is now in from Bohemains and he was MOM two games in a row... a steal as a goalkeeper.

Three friendlies played:
Barnsley home 1-1
Sheff Utd home 1-2 - very unlucky with them scoring a last minute wonder goal but the fans left happy
Grimsby away 4-0 - this was the first game with all the players in and we slaughtered them.

Then..... parent club announced...... CHELSEA!!!!!! Much as I hate the buggers I'll take their players!!! So far they have only offered Fernandes and I am not sure he is better than what we've already got but we'll see.

Still, onwards and upwards :)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The difference in mentality between your defenders and midfielders is too large. I suspect you have your defenders pretty defensive and your midfielders pushing on to support the attack? You may want to consider making your defenders a bit more attack minded or your defenders a bit more defensive.

I usually play one centre midfield more attacking and one midfielder more defensive.... could that confuse the system thinking that they are more attacking than they really are. I even have one midfilder arrowed back so it doesn't seem to make sense.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I usually play one centre midfield more attacking and one midfielder more defensive.... could that confuse the system thinking that they are more attacking than they really are. I even have one midfilder arrowed back so it doesn't seem to make sense.

The arrows have changed now, they just reflect whether forward runs for the player is set to often, mixed or rarely. Hence I have back ones on my centre-backs and forward ones on my wingers and that's it. I also get the space between defence and midfield thing for most of the game but so far I seem to be winning, so I'm not too bothered and logically my tactics do make sense! Although my wingers tend to get knackered...

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I'm almost £1 million in the red now, for being 3k over my wage budget it would seem :shrug:

oh and in 2011 do we move into Falmer?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Then..... parent club announced...... CHELSEA!!!!!! Much as I hate the buggers I'll take their players!!! So far they have only offered Fernandes and I am not sure he is better than what we've already got but we'll see.

Still, onwards and upwards :)

Dick Tight told me i couldn't have a parent club, bastard. Looking at a few left-backs now, including a certain Z.Bakayoko who just got man of the match in a friendly for me :eek:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone know have any good training schedules? I really cant be assed to fiddle around :clap2:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm almost £1 million in the red now, for being 3k over my wage budget it would seem :shrug:

oh and in 2011 do we move into Falmer?

You're not in debt due to your wages but the clubs bank loans.

In the boxed, unpatched version, we tend to go bust around Falmer time and get a new board who inject money.

If you've started with the patch installed we should be ok up to Falmer but then can't cope with the 190k a month loan for the Stadium.

I'm still testing it here to try and find a good way to get it to work. The only good news is you will get bailed out by a new board if you get into to much debt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports