Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I'm just about to start my 2nd second with AFC Wimbledon, after a 2 day break of the game. :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm just about to start my 2nd second with AFC Wimbledon, after a 2 day break of the game. :)

You need a break after playing it for 2 seconds? Pfft you youngsters!:jester:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You need a break after playing it for 2 seconds? Pfft you youngsters!:jester:

:lol::lol::lol:.

I just signed Marcus Stewart on a 1 year deal, he will be CLASS in the blue square south.:clap2:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Just had a good find.
It's January of the first season and i've just picked up a tunisian international 'Mossabb Sassi' who was just released from somewhere on a free. Offered him a trial first which he accepted and the fans loved him so i signed him on £500p/w. Absolute bargain.
His stats aren't the best but he's giving Mcleeod a run for his place, he's only 18 and the coaching staff reakon he's showing a lot of potential. Hoping he'll turn into a star for me.

Am second in the league to Leeds, we're both well clear of the chasing pack.
Got Leeds in the final of the JPT, after pretty much all the matches on the way went to penalties as i didn't really take them seriously until i realised i had half a chance of winning it.
As long as i either get the JPT or the league i'll be happy but i'm hoping and praying for both.

One question. I can't get rid of Fowler, he's listed for free transfer and i've tried giving him away on several occasions. He's on a 2yr at 3k p/w and averaging a rating of 6 in the reserves. Has anyone managed to get rid of him or am i stuck???

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
PART FOUR: :albion2:

It's 14:30 on Saturday 8th August 2009, and we're about to face League One Champions Leeds United (H) in the first game of the new Championship season.

Pre-season went well;

Bognor Regis (A) - 2-0
Bradford City (A) - 2-1
Aldershot Town (A) 1-1
Worthing (A) 3-0
Chelsea (H) - 0-2 - two headers from corners their only chances despite having their best side out.

Signings in/out were as follows, and for the most part I'm very happy;

IN:

Matty Fryatt - Leicester City (Free)
Danny Senda - Millwall (Free)
Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic (£40k)
Florent Pepsi - Yverdon (£14k) - 18 year old Swiss U-21 captain
Richard Kingson - Wigan (Loan)
Sergio Tejera - Chelsea (Loan)
Wade Elliott - Burnley (£22k)
Lewis Neal - Sheffield United (£5k)
Stephane Basle - Thun (£24k)
Jonathan Douglas - Unattached
Adam Boyd - Leyton Orient (Free)
Karim Laribi - Fulham (Loan)
Rhys Murphy - Arsenal (Loan)
Stefan Stam - Unattached

OUT:

Gary Hart - Lewes (Free)
Tommy Fraser - Yeovil (Free)
Kerry Mayo - Released
Robbie Fowler - Bradford (Free)
Michel Kuipers - Cardiff (Free)
Colin Hawkins - Bristol Rovers (Free)
Kane Louis - Welling (Free)
Dan Royce - Eastbourne Boro (Free)
Kane Wills - Eastleigh (Free)
Andrew Pearson - Eastbourne Boro (Free)
John Sullivan - Released
George Barker - Released
Leon Redwood - Released
Mitch Walker - Released
James Smith - Released
Lewis Dunk - Released
Lee Cooper - Released
Josh Pelling - Released
Steve Cook - Released
Chris Brencher - Released
Jonny Dixon - Oxford United (Loan)
Oliver Rowe - Ebbsfleet (Loan)
Lewis Ide - Brentford (Loan)
Steve Brinkhurst - Carshalton (Loan)
Peter Martin - Lewes (Loan)
Kevin McLeod - Burnley (Free)
Adam El-Abd - Brentford (Free)
Darren Randolph - Gillingham (Loan)
Steven Thomson - Shrewsbury (£10k)
Glenn Murray - Crewe (£150k)
Seyfo Soley - Brentford (Free)

My "strongest" team, as starting against Leeds United is;

Westerveld (GK), Billy Jones (LB), Danny Senda (RB), Joel Lynch (CB), Stephane Basle (CB), Lewis Neal (LW), Dean Cox (RW), David Livermore (CM), Jonathan Douglas (CM), Rhys Murphy (ST), Adam Boyd (ST)

Leaving no place for Andy Whing, one of our best players last season, or Nicky Forster who scored 21 goals and 5 assists in all competitions. Matty Fryatt, my most valuable player (£2.1m) wasn't great in pre-season so is on the bench with Forster.
Elphick has flu currently but would replace Joel Lynch. Apart from that no other injury worries.

My biggest regret would be, as it's the first time I played the game, I didn't know who was good and who wasn't. I could've got a lot more for Murray/Fraser by selling them at the start of the game, but I wanted to do it without knowing to give myself more of a challenge.

I think this season will be tough - it seemed very difficult to find any decent players in the second season!!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
One question. I can't get rid of Fowler, he's listed for free transfer and i've tried giving him away on several occasions. He's on a 2yr at 3k p/w and averaging a rating of 6 in the reserves. Has anyone managed to get rid of him or am i stuck???

I listed him in the close season at the end of season one, and MK Dons, Colchester and Bradford all offered to sign him on a free - he chose Bradford. Thank f*** - I was paying him £3.5kpw!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Finally ordered it today.......HOORAY!

Will be posting updates of my season. Was successful in making Brighton a solid Championship team in FM08, along with a stint as Nigeria manager, so have high hopes of similar or better in FM09

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Finally ordered it today.......HOORAY!

Will be posting updates of my season. Was successful in making Brighton a solid Championship team in FM08, along with a stint as Nigeria manager, so have high hopes of similar or better in FM09

Nigeria are always really easy to manage internationally-they take anyone at any level. Was yo-yoing between the CHampionship and League 1 whilst winning the World Cup with Nigeria!

Jimmy Grimble

Has anyone ever go on to manage England from Brighton?

On FM07 I was about to win consecutive promotions on my online game with Shrewsbury and got offered the job :lolol:

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Things didn't go well first few games, lost to Orient 2-1 away after leading 1-0. Then beat Millwall in the Carling Cup in ET. Then lost 3-1 at home to Oldham. A few goals conceded due to CB's passing to their forwards :angry:

I've got loads of money though, most probably going to try and find a wonder striker. Any suggestions?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Has anyone ever go on to manage England from Brighton?

On FM07 I was about to win consecutive promotions on my online game with Shrewsbury and got offered the job :lolol:

I'll let you know when they come knocking, i'm fully intending on playing this until i get us into the prem!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I've got loads of money though, most probably going to try and find a wonder striker. Any suggestions?

Robbie Fowler :tosser:
no seriously don't if you havent already, he is shite. Simon cox from Swindon is class, rated at 200k, matty fryatt also seemed interested in signing, you could get him for about 150k.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Marcus Stewart yet to score, thats why im paying him £975 a WEEK!:eek:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Robbie Fowler :tosser:
no seriously don't if you havent already, he is shite. Simon cox from Swindon is class, rated at 200k, matty fryatt also seemed interested in signing, you could get him for about 150k.

Won my opening game :thumbsup:

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 Leeds United 0

Fryatt (59)

Att. 8203

:bowdown:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Ok folks....had this game about a week now,im obviously doing something wrong,or not doing something.Im getting beat nearly every game and currently bottom of the table.

Im playing what i think are my best players in their correct positions.Im using the "4-4-2 standard" tactic as pre-programmed into the game,and im setting the player tactics to thier positions,i.e full backs to "full back,strikers to "striker" etc etc...............

Traing wise ive "atomaticaly selected coaches" or whatever its called....and ive got the players doing "heavy" training.Most of them are showing green arrows meaning they are trainig well no?

I let my assistant to the team talks and the press conferences....so i cant be saying the wrong things.

Anyone got any ideas what im doing wrong as your all doing so well?

Oh yeah....and i wish i'd read this thread before i signed Robbie Fowler!!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
OMG.

I have a confession to make.:blush:

I have just got a cut AND A bruise on my shin, because of celebrating a goal on Fm.I was playing Hampton and Richmond @ Home. 1-1, Stewart who is my highest paid player aint score in 6 games..he then makes it 2-1 with a 30 yard screamer:eek::clap:So i jumped up of my seat, knocking it over, i then lost my footing and ended up falling on it. - Whilst showing my pain..and looking at the cut and bruise, i look up at my screen and it was FT - and i ended up winning 3-2:laugh::blush:

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Junior, I think successful player assignments is key.

When on the match day screen check your assistants advice as to who needs closing down, hard tackling, showing on to their weaker foot etc. But be sure to check it again come half time as he will have more suggestions for you. Take heed.

I was absolutely shite when I played the demo but have performed miles better in the real game and this is the only major difference I've implemented.

Try it and see how you get on

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Junior, I think successful player assignments is key.

When on the match day screen check your assistants advice as to who needs closing down, hard tackling, showing on to their weaker foot etc. But be sure to check it again come half time as he will have more suggestions for you. Take heed.

I was absolutely shite when I played the demo but have performed miles better in the real game and this is the only major difference I've implemented.

Try it and see how you get on

Hmmm.. maybe. Varying tactics if you're getting outplayed is a good idea.

For example, I use a direct style with a "big" target man, who will obviously have high attributes in jumping, heading and strength. If he attempts 20 headers, hopefully he'll win 15 of them. If he's losing more headers than he's winning, try swapping him with the other striker, as the other centre half might be weaker in the air.

Or if direct play isn't working, try a shorter more patient approach.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
History has repeated itself.

I got drawn AWAY to STAINES TOWN again, in the SECOND qualyfying round of the FA cup and one AGAIN i scored a last minute equaliser to make it 2-2 :D :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports