Official Football Manager 2009 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
now you've al had some time with it, is the 3D Match Engine really worth the wait?

It's definitely a grower. A big improvement from the demo too. I'm a fan of it now :)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I really like the 3D match engine. Also for all the warnings that you'll need a powerful computer to enjoy it, I find I have no problems running it on my laptop, which is not very beefed up at all.

Cor that player list brings back some memories. I'd forgotten good old Mike Duff, that guy was utterly amazing. Never injured, never off-form, never wanted to leave, always AMAZING.

Anyway, enough reminiscing, how do I set up an association with another team to start getting their players in on loan as has been mentioned in this thread?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I dont use, 3D :)

Lmao, Yankov got WORST SIGNING OF THE SEASON! :lolol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
f***ing hell.. it's going right to the last game of the season!!!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My signing of the season for £20k is Michael Duffy, a left back from Carlilse reserves, Richards got injured and this kid is on FIRE, with a goal and 3 assists in 5 games

In

Jay Simpson on loan from Arsenal
Brett Omerod from Preston - £80k
Ishmael Demontagnac from Walsall - £100k
Michael Duffy from Carlisle - £20k
Phillipe Christanval - free

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
OMG - Sheffield United not only got relagted to League One, but have been docked 10 points for going into admin:lolol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
PART THREE: :albion2:

Beat Bournemouth (H) 2-0 in the FA Cup Second Round, before a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Carlisle (A), to knock us out of the one remaining cup competition.

As January rolled around, I made only one addition to the squad, whilst letting a few players who were not in my plans leave;

IN:

Kevin Kyle (Loan - 3 months)

OUT:

Scott Chamberlain (Released - Unattached)
Tommy Fraser (Loan)
Sam Gargan - Crawley Town (£2k + 25% of next sale)
Louis Kane (Loan)
Andrew Pearson (Loan)
Matt Miller (Fitness Coach - £20k - Stoke City)

I failed in bids to sign Jari Litmanen (Length of contract) and Mark Viduka (Length of contract) - both insisting on 2 years. I learnt my lesson on Robbie Fowler, who has been my worst signing and will cost me a lot to release.

Trialists Paul Gerrard, Regillio Nooitmeer, Federico Turienzo, Kolbeinn Sigurjonnson, Javi Delgado and two seperate trials for Herold Goulon - have all failed to impress.

We clung to second place for the most part of the season, contending exclusively with Millwall for second place, while Leeds United raced away at the top of the league. Highlights and lowlights included;

• Losing only two of 16 league games in a row, 2-0 Leeds United (A) and and 0-2 to Leicester City (H)

• Thrashing Huddersfield Town (A) 1-4 at their designated "Fan Day" at the Galpharm Stadium.

• Federico Turienzo scoring a hat-trick against Leyton Orient Reserves whilst on trial.

The table was very tight, with just two/three points separating us and Millwall, with us having a vastly superior goal difference. With the end of the season approaching, and one game to go, the league table looked thus;

1st - Leeds United P45 - 111 points (CHAMPIONS)
2nd - Brighton & Hove Albion P45 - 87 points (PLAYOFF)
3rd - Millwall P45 - 85 points (PLAYOFF)
4th - Oldham Athletic P45 - 74 points (PLAYOFF)

I knew with my superior goal difference a draw would all but confirm promotion, unless Millwall should beat struggling MK Dons (A) by 15 clear goals.

In the build up to the game, Nicky Forster constantly "rallied the troops" - three days running. Which was a bit irritating.

The match was Scunthorpe United (A), who were sitting in 11th in the table, on a poor run of form. I set up with a defensive minded 4-4-2 formation. One-time Brighton target Kevan Hurst came close from a free kick, before (surely) player of the season David Livermore curled in on 13 minutes. Joel Lynch then headed in a Walter Lopez cross for 0-2, and the rest of the game passed without incident - promotion!!!

Millwall lost 2-0 to MK Dons anyway :shootself: Final league table:

1st - Leeds United P46 - 111 points (CHAMPIONS)
2nd - Brighton & Hove Albion P46 - 90 points (PROMOTED)
3rd - Millwall P46 - 85 points (PLAYOFF)
4th - Oldham Athletic P46 - 77 points (PLAYOFF)

21st - Stockport County P46 - 42 points (RELEGATED)
22nd - Hartlepool United P46 - 40 points (RELEGATED)
23rd - Northampton Town P46 - 39 points (RELEGATED)
24th - Hereford United P46 - 37 points (RELEGATED)

As I type, it is immediately after the last game of the season, and I've just been awarded £100,000, and Steve Gritt is "surprised" we got promoted. And Liam Upton has a pre-contract agreement with Queen of the South.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Palace finished 8th, joint on points with Cardiff, Barnsley and Norwich (the latter two beat them to the playoffs by three and four goals!!) :yahoo:
Birmingham and Reading automatically promoted to the Premier League

Chelsea won the Premier League, and are leading by 13 points from Manchester United. West Ham United, Wigan Athetic and Stoke City currently occupy the relegation places.

Roland Nilsson is new West Ham United manager
Alan Curbishley is new Newcastle United manager

If you read all that you're sadder than me. Just. ;)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I read all of it, and you pretty good at the game, bad move not signing Viduka though!

Enjoy the championship;)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I read all of it, and you pretty good at the game, bad move not signing Viduka though!

Enjoy the championship;)

Problem is in the game he's had three groin strains - makes me thing it's a recurring injury, and I wasn't sure I wanted to pay £6k p/w for two years for someone who can't play. So I settled for Kevin Kyle instead :lolol:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Currently played four games with Brighton, lying joint top with scunthorpe on 10 points.:clap2:
beat crewe away, almost identical to the real life game, zola scoring in last 5 and then forster in added time. Followed by a 3-1 victory at home to Swinners, then a 1-1 draw at stockport. Just beaten colchester 3-1 at home thanks to a fleetwood hat-trick. I am however out of the league cup after being knocked out on pens by aldershot at home:blush:

Players in:
fleetwood (loan)
simpson (loan)
anyinsah (loan)
b. johnson (loan)
thomas? from fulham (parent club) on loan
fowler (free) absolute shite
AND have just agreed a contract with Fabian Delph:bowdown:
payed £430k and a 10% sell on clause.

players out:
lynch-reading (140k plus 10% sell on)
fraser-plymouth(95k)
cox-wolves(140k plus 10% sell on)
and robinson to coventry (120k)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Currently played four games with Brighton, lying joint top with scunthorpe on 10 points.:clap2:
beat crewe away, almost identical to the real life game, zola scoring in last 5 and then forster in added time. Followed by a 3-1 victory at home to Swinners, then a 1-1 draw at stockport. Just beaten colchester 3-1 at home thanks to a fleetwood hat-trick. I am however out of the league cup after being knocked out on pens by aldershot at home:blush:

Players in:
fleetwood (loan)
simpson (loan)
anyinsah (loan)
b. johnson (loan)
thomas? from fulham (parent club) on loan
fowler (free) absolute shite
AND have just agreed a contract with Fabian Delph:bowdown:
payed £430k and a 10% sell on clause.

players out:
lynch-reading (140k plus 10% sell on)
fraser-plymouth(95k)
cox-wolves(140k plus 10% sell on)
and robinson to coventry (120k)

I agree re: Fowler, has been pants for me. At one point was behind Adam Virgo, Stuart Fleetwood, Glenn Murray, Nicky Forster and Kevin Kyle in the pecking order :nono:

You got a good price for Fraser, but I think you made a mistake in selling Cox and Lynch - both are worth in excess of £400k each at the end of season one, and Cox has Fulham and West Ham interested :drool:
Lynch averaged 7.12 for me..

I'm surprised Fleetwood is doing so well for you, he made 8 (4) apps for me, no goals, no assists, average rating 6.. goes to show how different tactics really get totally different results!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I probably did make a mistake with cox and lynch, but i was desperate to sign Delph whilest he still wanted to sign. Fleetwood has been poor apart from the hat trick, and yeah i was shocked with the fraser bid.
just going for another couple of hours of fun.
good luck to you too.:thumbsup:

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
f***ing Sheffield Wednesday want Cox, Robinson, Lynch and Elphick.
Greedy bastards

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Pre-season now.. lining up my signings - so far;

IN:

Matty Fryatt - Leicester City (Free)
Danny Senda - Millwall (Free)
Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic (£40k)
Florent Pepsi - Yverdon (£14k)

OUT:

Gary Hart - Lewes (Free)
Tommy Fraser - Yeovil (Free)
Kerry Mayo - Released
Robbie Fowler - Bradford (Free)
Michel Kuipers - Cardiff (Free)
Colin Hawkins - Bristol Rovers (Free)
Kane Louis - Welling (Free)
Dan Royce - Eastbourne Boro (Free)
Kane Wills - Eastleigh (Free)
Andrew Pearson - Eastbourne Boro (Free)
John Sullivan - Released
George Barker - Released
Leon Redwood - Released
Mitch Walker - Released
James Smith - Released
Lewis Dunk - Released
Lee Cooper - Released
Josh Pelling - Released
Steve Cook - Released
Chris Brencher - Released
Jonny Dixon - Oxford United (Loan)
Oliver Rowe - Ebbsfleet (Loan)
Lewis Ide - Brentford (Loan)
Steve Brinkhurst - Carshalton (Loan)

Trials in so far; Alan Dunne, Lewis Buxton, Jonathan Douglas, Andy van der Meyde

Desperately seeking another striker on a free!!!

Last edited:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
This thread is killing me. I am so desperate to get this game but i just dont have time to get it or play it at uni. :cry:

2 more weeks until i can shut myself away from the world, take Albion to the Prem and dream of getting the phone call from DK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports