Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No hint of Asparagus up the plot today, I do have my first crop of Purple Sprouting Broccoli though :)
Usually grow this, as nice to eat and good for you.
Not growing much this year, only toms. Garlic and the usual tonnage of fruit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, yes you have

I tried sowing early tomato 🍅 seeds and so far nothing has emerged even indoors.
Put them somewhere warm and you should get a result in 7-10 days, if nothing after 2 weeks I would re sow.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20240403_142342.jpg
20240407_130607.jpg

After a year out, weve finally managed to get up to our plot after rain has eased.
Anyone else started on theirs yet ???

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
View attachment 180096View attachment 180097
After a year our, weve finally managed to get up to our plot after rain has eased.
Anyone else started on theirs yet ???

Looks great! Looks really tidy and your beds look amazing, lots of hard work there! Yes, I'm on mine most of the year around. Have just moved plots on the site from a small one to one about three times the size which had needed a complete overhaul, so I'm a bit knackered, but its nearly ready to start planting out. Onions are planted out, broad beans are out, potatoes are out. In the greenhouses are red cabbage, cauliflower, and lettuces we've been eating loads of. Other seedlings are corn (just sown), tomatoes I've done far too many as usual, cucumber is up as is celery, pumpkins and this year I'm trying melons!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Looks great! Looks really tidy and your beds look amazing, lots of hard work there! Yes, I'm on mine most of the year around. Have just moved plots on the site from a small one to one about three times the size which had needed a complete overhaul, so I'm a bit knackered, but its nearly ready to start planting out. Onions are planted out, broad beans are out, potatoes are out. In the greenhouses are red cabbage, cauliflower, and lettuces we've been eating loads of. Other seedlings are corn (just sown), tomatoes I've done far too many as usual, cucumber is up as is celery, pumpkins and this year I'm trying melons!
What type of melon?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
This is what I inherited:
DSC_4725.JPG

This is how much rubbish I've pulled out of it, rusting metal containers, rotten tubs. Over 20 something broken and split composters (all full of great compost which I've tipped onto my beds, except one which was just egg shells) and some really weird things. The top of a roland lounge room keyboard organ, 4 microwave glass plates, the bottom of a fridge, several bathroom caddies, someones whole university notes being used as a bed end...The council are helping remove it all slowly...
DSC_4773.JPG

and here is my friend, this was in the depths of January. I'm mostly around there on my own and see lots of them...they don't seem to mind me anymore...

DSC_4779.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Woodchipped the paths and seating area.
Been on a slug offence due to the rain. Collected nigh on 200 that have been placed in the slug farm. A few of them have a parasite, nematodes, and this spreads amongst newcomers. Currently they are dieing within 3 days. The resulting stinking solution is then watered down and 90% poured on veg beds and 10% kept for the next farm.
Also have 4" high asparagus, flowering broad beans but leaves a bit chocolate spotty, 8 rows pots in. Good tom seedlings. Just need some better weather to kick off.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Woodchipped the paths and seating area.
Been on a slug offence due to the rain. Collected nigh on 200 that have been placed in the slug farm. A few of them have a parasite, nematodes, and this spreads amongst newcomers. Currently they are dieing within 3 days. The resulting stinking solution is then watered down and 90% poured on veg beds and 10% kept for the next farm.
Also have 4" high asparagus, flowering broad beans but leaves a bit chocolate spotty, 8 rows pots in. Good tom seedlings. Just need some better weather to kick off.

Ooh whats a slug farm? Sounds interesting...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Generally the smellier and soupy-er the better feed it is!!

Best to Google making your own nematodes.
I suppose it's actually a slug concentration camp and it's the nematodes being farmed. The idea is for the slugs to have some greenery to live on and then the nematodes pick them off and multiply thousands of times.
Is your allotment in Hove?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What to do about the cat digging up the raised beds - to be fair to him he has had free range of them all winter and doesn't understand seeds, seedlings and growing seasons. He thinks he is defending his territory against his arch-enemy, the cat from the next door's hedge, and against the local pigeons.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What to do about the cat digging up the raised beds - to be fair to him he has had free range of them all winter and doesn't understand seeds, seedlings and growing seasons. He thinks he is defending his territory against his arch-enemy, the cat from the next door's hedge, and against the local pigeons.

Same, but mine are foxes. I use diy cloches of different shapes and sizes. If you get a sheet of reinforced steel that is bendable or chicken wire at b&q or some such and bend it into a tunnel shape, should keep the worst off...or you can buy cloches of different shapes and sizes...might help. People in our allotment cut the bottom off 2 litres water bottles too and use them as little single cloches...works, but doesn't look the nicest if you are going for Chelsea standards...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nice big plot and tidy 👍. Potatoes and onions going in today, the rest are in the seed house.
Thanks for that.
It's best to keep tidy, as means less work in the long run.
All seeds are growing nicely in polytunnel, so waiting for weather to improve.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We had to give up on raised beds, as the wood rotted too much and had unwelcome guests in red ants.
A pain to dig around as their bites are quite sharp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here