Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official Album of the Year 2016 Thread***

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Having spent the last couple of hours listening to the King Creosote album a few times, I can safely say that's going on my list.

....and Teenage Fanclub

(More to follow)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Tindersticks album will probably be in my top 10. Hey Lucinda is probably my most played track of the year, I'm a sucker for call and response songs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having spent the last couple of hours listening to the King Creosote album a few times, I can safely say that's going on my list.

....and Teenage Fanclub

(More to follow)

KC might get on mine too. The highs are so high, but my reticence is that I'm not entirely convinced there are enough of them.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
My three outstanding albums of this year are;

Aynsley Lister - Eyes Wide Open

Devon Allman - Ride Or Die

Albert Castiglia - Big Dog

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well reissues of the year

1. The Early Years 1965-1972 - Pink Floyd
2. Searching For the Spark - Steve Hillage
3. These Dreams Will Never Sleep The Best of Graham Parker 1976-2015 - Graham Parker
4. I'm Walking, Comlete Streetwalkers 1974-77 - Streetwalkers
5. Live at the Hollywood Bowl - The Beatles
6. Pool Hall Punks Complete Recordings 1976-1978 - Tyla Gang
7. Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976) - David Bowie
8. Pure McCartney - Paul McCartney

2 spare places for the Who box ser of My Generation and the Kate Bush live album

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of my favourite threads but it's very difficult narrowing down into a manageable list. I failed to get it down to 10, I just couldn't do it but I did just about manage to get it down to 21 and that meant being very ruthless in my selection so no room for Leonard Cohen, Bat For Lashes, Burning Hell, Marissa Nadler, Field Music, Radiohead, even the Jimmy Somerville disco remix album got cast aside.....I do feel bad about a lot of the stuff I left out but needs must. Here's my top 3:

1. Angel Olson 'My Woman'
2. MONEY 'Suicide Songs'
3. The Hearing 'Adrian'

and then the others in my top 21 in no particular order other than what came up first as I was compiling the list.

4. Richard Ashcroft 'These People'
5. Metronomy 'Summer 08'
6. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 'Skeleton Tree'
7. Anohni 'Hopelessness'
8. Agnes Obel 'Citizen of Glass'
9. LNZNDRF 'LNZNDRF'
10. William Kiwanuka 'Love & Hate'
11. Lou Rhodes 'Theeyesandeye'
12. Beth Orton 'Kidsticks'
13. Mull Historical Society 'Dear Satellite'
14. De Montevert 'De Montevert'
15. The Lemon Twigs 'Do Hollywood'
16. Cool Ghouls 'Animal Races'
17. The Shivas 'Better Off Dead'
18. Wild Beasts 'Boy King'
19. Spain 'Carolina'
20. Ela Orleans 'Circle of Upper and Lower Hell'
21. Pascal Pinon 'Sundur'

The reason for 21 is that I had the list down to 20 and was feeling quite smug with that and then I spotted that I had left Icelandic sisters Pascal Pinon out of the list and couldn't bring myself to swap any of the other 20 for them so I just expanded the list by 1.

I don't think it's been a classic year for new albums although there have been some very good ones and I genuinely love each of the albums that I've picked and that Angel Olson especially so.

As an aside, I have got to wonder why record companies even bother releasing non-compilation albums in November and December seeing as the best of 2016 lists are done and dusted by then. I would have thought an entry on Rough Trade's top 100 would be a fillip to album sales no matter what position you come in at. Bands such as the Wave Pictures may well get onto the list if released earlier rather than this week.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
One of my favourite threads but it's very difficult narrowing down into a manageable list. I failed to get it down to 10, I just couldn't do it but I did just about manage to get it down to 21 and that meant being very ruthless in my selection so no room for Leonard Cohen, Bat For Lashes, Burning Hell, Marissa Nadler, Field Music, Radiohead, even the Jimmy Somerville disco remix album got cast aside.....I do feel bad about a lot of the stuff I left out but needs must. Here's my top 3:

2. MONEY 'Suicide Songs'
3. The Hearing 'Adrian'

and then the others in my top 21 in no particular order other than what came up first as I was compiling the list.

5. Metronomy 'Summer 08'
7. Anohni 'Hopelessness'
9. LNZNDRF 'LNZNDRF'
11. Lou Rhodes 'Theeyesandeye'
12. Beth Orton 'Kidsticks'
13. Mull Historical Society 'Dear Satellite'
14. De Montevert 'De Montevert'
15. The Lemon Twigs 'Do Hollywood'
16. Cool Ghouls 'Animal Races'
17. The Shivas 'Better Off Dead'
18. Wild Beasts 'Boy King'
19. Spain 'Carolina'
20. Ela Orleans 'Circle of Upper and Lower Hell'
21. Pascal Pinon 'Sundur'

The reason for 21 is that I had the list down to 20 and was feeling quite smug with that and then I spotted that I had left Icelandic sisters Pascal Pinon out of the list and couldn't bring myself to swap any of the other 20 for them so I just expanded the list by 1.

I don't think it's been a classic year for new albums although there have been some very good ones and I genuinely love each of the albums that I've picked and that Angel Olson especially so.

As an aside, I have got to wonder why record companies even bother releasing non-compilation albums in November and December seeing as the best of 2016 lists are done and dusted by then. I would have thought an entry on Rough Trade's top 100 would be a fillip to album sales no matter what position you come in at. Bands such as the Wave Pictures may well get onto the list if released earlier rather than this week.

Hang on, there was a 'Spain' album?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
2. MONEY 'Suicide Songs'
3. The Hearing 'Adrian'

5. Metronomy 'Summer 08'
7. Anohni 'Hopelessness'
9. LNZNDRF 'LNZNDRF'

That's amazing, his brother Michael had an album with exactly the same name :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well reissues of the year

1. The Early Years 1965-1972 - Pink Floyd
2. Searching For the Spark - Steve Hillage
3. These Dreams Will Never Sleep The Best of Graham Parker 1976-2015 - Graham Parker
4. I'm Walking, Comlete Streetwalkers 1974-77 - Streetwalkers
5. Live at the Hollywood Bowl - The Beatles
6. Pool Hall Punks Complete Recordings 1976-1978 - Tyla Gang
7. Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976) - David Bowie
8. Pure McCartney - Paul McCartney

2 spare places for the Who box ser of My Generation and the Kate Bush live album

Tyla Gang. I'll say :)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
What the .... ?

I thought they'd disbanded years ago. I see they released a studio album in 2012 too and a live album too. NSC has let me down badly here; I rely on it for my musical education.

Off to find album, I loved Spain back in the day

'The Soul Of Spain', 2012, is a magnificent album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here