Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Album of the Year 2015 Thread ***

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tame Impala are the ones getting mentioned a lot on here that I don't get. I find them incredibly plodding.

Let It Happen is one of my favourite songs of the last 5 years. Each to their own, of course, but it's just got an INCREDIBLE groove. I agree to an extent that the heavily washed out reverby sound can get a bit dull after a while, but THIS SONG.

[yt]odeHP8N4LKc[/yt]

Also, the guitar/bass hybrid sound that comes in at 6mins 15secs is objectively the best noise of all time.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Short list, off the top of my head

Jacco Gardner
Blur
Matthew E White
Low
Sufjan Stevens
Julia Holter

Winner

Robert Forster, "Songs To Play"

Damn. I forgot about blur.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You're one of the first on this thread to have a few in my list and, on that basis, I might have to buy Robert Forster

Blimey, I didn't realise that's the Robert Forster of Go-Betweens fame. I have a few of their singles from way back. May have to give him a listen too

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
You're one of the first on this thread to have a few in my list and, on that basis, I might have to buy Robert Forster

it's a rather traditional singer songwriter album, laced with dry wit. 10 songs 30 odd minutes, sounds effortless and makes me feel very happy.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Jamie xx - In Colour
Gaz Coombes - Matador
Matthew E white - Fresh Blood
Kendrick Lamar - to pimp a butterfly
Mbongwa Star - kinsasha

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I love this thread too but always struggle to come up with a top ten. This year will be no easier and bound to be a couple I miss out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've absolutely no idea of how to put these in any sort of order, but If I had to name a number one, it might have to be Follakzoid as (inexplicably) no-one's even included it, let alone put it at the top or, if not, Low, which is one heck of a return to form after a decade of (bad) dirge. On this lot, there are some quite fantastic singles too, which I've added to the album title.:

Matthew E White -- Fresh Blood (Holly Moly)
Godspeed You Black Emperor -- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Julia Holter -- Have You in My Wilderness (Betsy in the Corner)
Follakzoid -- III
John Grant -- Grey Tickles, Black Pressure (Down Here)
Low -- Ones and Stars (No Compendre, Kid in the Corner)
Aphex Twin -- might be cheating here, but 2 EPs: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments, pt 2; and, Orphaned Deejay Selek, 2006-2008
Mbongwana Star -- From Kinshasa (Kala)
Fuzz -- II (Say Hello)
Ghostpoet -- Shedding Skin

Will probably have to get my hands on that Tame Impala album too, given how many are putting it in their top albums. Haven't got Oneohtrix yet either, so that might worm its way in.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Deciding on these ten took a little longer than I expected so I guess it has been a decent year.

Beach House - Depression Cherry
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet & Other Distress
Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free
John Carpenter - Lost Themes
Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
Prurient - Frozen Niagra Falls
Roisin Murphy - Hairless Toys
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Now need to consider 2015 biggest let down...

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've absolutely no idea of how to put these in any sort of order, but If I had to name a number one, it might have to be Follakzoid as (inexplicably) no-one's even included it, let alone put it at the top or, if not, Low, which is one heck of a return to form after a decade of (bad) dirge. On this lot, there are some quite fantastic singles too, which I've added to the album title.:

Follakzoid -- III
Aphex Twin -- might be cheating here, but 2 EPs: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments, pt 2; and, Orphaned Deejay Selek, 2006-2008
Fuzz -- II (Say Hello)

Will probably have to get my hands on that Tame Impala album too, given how many are putting it in their top albums. Haven't got Oneohtrix yet either, so that might worm its way in.

Follakzoid is damn good, just missed my cut. Seeing them live in December as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm a little surprised Newsom isn't getting more mentions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Follakzoid -- III
Fuzz -- II (Say Hello)

Don't worry - Follakzoid will be featuring heavily when I get round to mine. Absolute killer album in a field where it's so difficult to do something sounding new or fresh. Their gig at The Joker was one of my favourites of the year as well. Nice list, I suspect the awe inspiring Oneohtrix record will butter your parsnips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here