Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official 2011 Eurovision Song Contest Thread ***

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We're ticking the "odd Eastern European entry" box already then.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Shotgun Ukraine!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Awesome sand artist!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Moldova where did you get that hat alert

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
How the f*** did Moldova qualify and the tranny not? I've spunked a fair few Betfair pounds betting against them.

And who on earth in Eastern Europe is voting for Jedward?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Big hats merited a final appearance I think

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Gotta say that if you ignore the stupid haircuts and comedy dancing that Jedward were actually pretty good, musically speaking. A sort of post modern S-Club for the 21st Century. Having said that I think it was the song more than the artist that people were voting for. I reckon that song has a universal appeal, and it encapsulates the 'joie-de-vivre' of Eurovision in a way that anthemic ballads don't.

And if they win it will certainly give Simon Cowell food for thought as to continuing his musical BOREFEST that is the X-Factor.........

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Gotta say that if you ignore the stupid haircuts and comedy dancing that Jedward were actually pretty good, musically speaking. A sort of post modern S-Club for the 21st Century. Having said that I think it was the song more than the artist that people were voting for. I reckon that song has a universal appeal, and it encapsulates the 'joie-de-vivre' of Eurovision in a way that anthemic ballads don't.

And if they win it will certainly give Simon Cowell food for thought as to continuing his musical BOREFEST that is the X-Factor.........

Really, because GENUINELY I thought they were musically the worst there, they have NO talent at all

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That Romanian entry (with the lead singer from Newcastle) was pretty much the perfect traditional Eurovision entry: upbeat, very catchy pop music. I reckon it'll score well:

[yt]1q1WpOTpZ1A[/yt]

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I think you need to 'think outside the box' to a certain extent here with Eurovision.

The UK charts, and UK popular musical taste is dominated by a mid-atlantic R&B influence that originates in the 50's and 60's and a lot of Eurovision entries try to bottle that in the songs they produce, the majority tend to be formulaic as a result, and because they are sung in English, really lack any kind of individuality. To many entries simply copy established artists who have commercial success. The Belgium entry was a clone of Manhattan Transfer, or The Flying Pickets ( for example ).

I'm not saying that Jedward were the best artists there, but the song is by far and away better than many of the other entries, because it gets people toes tapping. It's the rythmic signature that has universal appeal, not necessarily melodies or harmonic structure. That's why a lot of people may like it, whereas, ( for example ) the French artiste, who is clearly musically talented, will only have a very limited appeal because it will only be liked by those who appreciate a 'Classical' genre.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Go Moldova!

Also got France in the sweepstake. It's meant to be one of the favourites but it's operatic for Christ sake! And awful.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Exactly, people won't vote for something they don't like ( be it US inspired RAP, Acapella, Rock Anthem ) but come up with a song that doesn't easily fit into an accepted genre and most people will pay attention.

Having said that Jedward were relying heavily on the backing vocalists for the harmony.

Comparing Eurovision to something like the Cardiff Singer of the World is as ridiculous as comparing It's a Knockout to the Olympic Games.

Eurovision is mean't to be a bit of light hearted fun, not a serious recital competion or the Prom Concerts.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
30 mins until the main event kicks off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here