Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off topic - Water meter charges

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ok, if you really want to cut your bills you'll have to embrace this , but it will work.

many of the audits i do , people get the shower times wrong ( not saying you have, but worth checking) Its worth getting a shower timer without the other's knowing and time them separately. Guaranteed its longer than 2/3 minutes.

6min mixer shower will on average cost £74.51 per year based on 1 x shower per day per person ( standard tariff and average energy consumption)

10min = £124.19
15min = £185.28
20min = £247.38

remember thats 1 shower per day per person. you have 5 people and how many does each have per day?
you can also fit a shower save ( restrictor) which will reducer the output to 6 ltrs a minute ( usually run at between 12- 18ltrs )

Baths will use on average 80ltrs of water as opposed to a 5min shower that will use on average 40ltrs.

wc's are good as dual flush, but make sure you have a bin in the bathroom as people tend to use the toilet as a bin then flush away.( again not saying you do!)
30% of your household water gets flushed away down the toilet.
Have done many audits where customers say to me "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" ( not my advice!)

Dishwasher - Its a life style choice i know , but not a necessity. do you you the same programme all the time? Eco? A lot of audits where the bills are high have heavy use of a dishwasher. The eco wash will use little water but doesn't clean efficiently if heavily soiled, so most people put onto the "pots & pans" programme. this will use on average 15lts or more as opposed to a 6ltr washing up bowl. Added to this the electric with the machine on for an hour or two plus the dishwasher tablets.

As you washing machine is new its more efficient than an old one, and having 5 x people in the household doesn't help the loads , but would say try and do a full load everytime or try and get a days more wear out of the old bake beans. Would recommend to anyone who's looking at buying a new machine to try and spend a bit more on capacity. getting a 12kg machine will save you doing 2 loads in a smaller machine , cutting down on water , electric and powder. More efficient long term.

Brilliant stuff. I shall be reading this to the family tonight.

Many thanks.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ah, so we are each using about 92 litres per day (all water, no coke).

Our super-duper 6 litre dishwasher probably made a difference. Plus the new dual-flush loo (the other three loos will need replacing!).

I feel better now. :thumbsup:

I'm a bit negative towards dishwashers as every audit i have down where the customer complains of high bills , there has always been a dishwasher.

All depends on the age of the dishwasher as if its an old machine, it will not be very economic with water. Granted newer ones are but on an Eco wash the plates do not usually get cleaned well, so people tend to put them on "the pots & pans" wash to get them clean.
Added to this the dishwasher is on for a long spell so thats using the electric, plus the dishwasher tablets, so in the long run it works out more expensive but people don't take this into account as it gets them out of doing the washing up.

If you going to use an Eco wash , my advise is to wipe the plates first with kitchen roll, will save you having to do another wash.

As regards the wc's, i take it your other 3 x toilets are single flush? if so you don't have to replace them you can turn them into dual flushes in a matter of minutes with an Ecobeta.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm a bit negative towards dishwashers as every audit i have down where the customer complains of high bills , there has always been a dishwasher.

All depends on the age of the dishwasher as if its an old machine, it will not be very economic with water. Granted newer ones are but on an Eco wash the plates do not usually get cleaned well, so people tend to put them on "the pots & pans" wash to get them clean.
Added to this the dishwasher is on for a long spell so thats using the electric, plus the dishwasher tablets, so in the long run it works out more expensive but people don't take this into account as it gets them out of doing the washing up.

If you going to use an Eco wash , my advise is to wipe the plates first with kitchen roll, will save you having to do another wash.

As regards the wc's, i take it your other 3 x toilets are single flush? if so you don't have to replace them you can turn them into dual flushes in a matter of minutes with an Ecobeta.

Can't wait for all the call outs when DIY people drill through their siphons :lol:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can't wait for all the call outs when DIY people drill through their siphons :lol:

Job creation see.

They are so easy to fit, just a 10mm drill bit through the top, and they come with a cap to plug the whole if you want to reverse it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Job creation see.

They are so easy to fit, just a 10mm drill bit through the top, and they come with a cap to plug the whole if you want to reverse it.

I remember a fitting donkey years ago that was a retro fit for an internal overflow.
Involved drilling a 3/4" hole into the side of the siphon.
Fitting had a small float and an elastic band :ohmy: absolute nightmare to set up.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My water bill went from £450 a year to £1300 after the meter was fitted:eek: They kept sending me letters that they were concerned ffs! I told the three wimmin in the house to cut DOWN! They said I didn't have any hair and they wouldn't cut down as they all had flowing locks that needed to be manicured!

How do you manicure hair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here