Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic; Golf for newbies

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm just starting out as a newbie golfer, hardly played at all, but been up the Burgess Hill driving range to try and get in to it. I've had one lesson there and the chap told me my clubs were making it harder (to be fair, they are ancient!).

My question out there to any Seagulls Golfers - do I really need new Golf Clubs? do they actually make a difference to a newbie like me? Is it worth shelling out for a full set or maybe just one or two?

Any advice would be helpful :)

D

Deleted User X18H

You need at least a half set.

Last time I went round with a 6,7,8 Iron. 3 and a 5 wood. A pitching wedge a putter.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Do not bother with a half set, look around for secondhand clubs, recent callaway big bertha irons are very forgiving, i have a set of ping g2's, very forgiving and quality clubs that you can pick up on ebasy for a good price, a good set of forgiving irons make a major difference.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How old are your clubs?
Maybe they just need new grips?

They are probably 10 years old at least, possibly older.

What they told me was that when you place the club down at the correct angle to the ball, with my clubs, I'd need to be 3 ft tall - suggesting that my old clubs have somehow bent out of shape.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Do not bother with a half set, look around for secondhand clubs, recent callaway big bertha irons are very forgiving, i have a set of ping g2's, very forgiving and quality clubs that you can pick up on ebasy for a good price, a good set of forgiving irons make a major difference.

cool thanks, by the way, what would be a "good price" for such clubs? I have no idea !

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I'm just starting out as a newbie golfer, hardly played at all, but been up the Burgess Hill driving range to try and get in to it. I've had one lesson there and the chap told me my clubs were making it harder (to be fair, they are ancient!).

My question out there to any Seagulls Golfers - do I really need new Golf Clubs? do they actually make a difference to a newbie like me? Is it worth shelling out for a full set or maybe just one or two?

Any advice would be helpful :)

I took up golf 7/8 months ago and started with a cheapo set. It matters how serious about getting into it.

If you wont play all that much, cheap will do you. If its something you want to really take up then I'd invest.

I'd certainly get a good driver, Ping,Taylormade, Callaway kind of thing.

Investing took 10 shots off my game.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
I bought a full set with Graphite shafts, bag and brolley from Sports Soccer for about £120. Used them for about a year when first started, the started changing individual clubs as I could afford them and eventually ended up with a set of callaways. Worked well for me and initial spend wasnt too much. Clubs were fine to start with and eventually changed them all for a decent set when I knew Golf was for me !

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
I bought a full set with Graphite shafts, bag and brolley from Sports Soccer for about £120. Used them for about a year when first started, the started changing individual clubs as I could afford them and eventually ended up with a set of callaways. Worked well for me and initial spend wasnt too much. Clubs were fine to start with and eventually changed them all for a decent set when I knew Golf was for me !

Something like this below, no point being a golf snob (all the gear no idea !)

Golf Club Sets - Golf - SportsDirect.com

Last edited:

cool thanks, by the way, what would be a "good price" for such clubs? I have no idea !

you need a set of clubs with cavity backs, makes the sweet spot alot bigger.
where do you play?
Cuckfield is decent for beginers, 9 hole course and cheap too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've had a few lessons at Burgess Hill and the lads down there are pretty trustworthy, they added some length and changed the lie angle for me when I bought some new clubs and it made a difference. This site has quite a good explanation on how length, grip and lie angle will affect your swing. If you've got blades then it will definitely be much harder to get decent results as a beginner

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/static/customFitCentre/centre.asp

As for getting new clubs, I'd say it depends on how serious you are and what you can afford. If you're just giving it a try then try and pick up something second hand on the cheap. If you think you'll still be playing in a years time and can afford it then you might as well shell out and get a full set of irons aimed at the beginner. There's plenty of deals about, a mate picked up some brand new Cobra s9 irons for £200 the the other week.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
you need a set of clubs with cavity backs, makes the sweet spot alot bigger.
where do you play?
Cuckfield is decent for beginers, 9 hole course and cheap too.

I plan on playing at the Burgess Hill course, as it's a 9 hole par 3, seemed a sensible place to start - I have 2 more lesson left at BH, after that, I'll attempt to hack my way around the course :)

I plan on playing at the Burgess Hill course, as it's a 9 hole par 3, seemed a sensible place to start - I have 2 more lesson left at BH, after that, I'll attempt to hack my way around the course :)

that's where i started, decent enough but gets boring as nowhere to use the bigger clubs.

i hear the greens are bloody awful at the moment

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would go for a bag of 5,7,8,9,sw,putter driver 10.5 deg loft and a three wood

try to get half decent second hand clubs...it will make a difference.

HEAD DOWN......WATCH THE BALL....!!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What they told me was that when you place the club down at the correct angle to the ball, with my clubs, I'd need to be 3 ft tall - suggesting that my old clubs have somehow bent out of shape.

What they mean is that they are lying too flat ie the shafts are not at the correct angle to suit your height. They can be adjusted - any decent club pro will be able to do it for you.

Golf clubs are now much more forgiving than they were 15 years ago. What you do not want is irons that are termed as "blades" - the sweet spot on them is tiny. Your teacher should be able to tell you if your current set are. If they are not, stick with the ones you have and then invest in a new set once you have committed to playing regularly and that golf is your thing.

I used to play a lot of golf to a reasonably good standard, but gave up using blades once I was only playing twice a month. My current set of irons (Callaway something or others) are so forgiving that I can still hit decent shots having not played for months. But I would only suggest getting a new set if you are really, really keen as they are not cheap.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
echo most of what people say on here.

its not really worth lashing out on expensive clubs until you either find you like the game, or more importantly have the time to play as golf is one of those games that to do justice to it, you need to play regularily - certainly driving is very frustrating if you are just starting out.

Tony ( Woodingdean Gull) runs a superb society Prestonville and we play at some really terrific courses. If you fancy it, PM me or Tony direct.

With regards to clubs, when you get to a course, see the pro and they can "lend " you a driver to try out on a round...I borrowed a BENROSS driver and loved it. Certainly get a second hand set first, or as someone said, get a set from Sports Direct - you can kit yourself out for £60.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
thanks for all the advice folks ! happy hacking !

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
isnt Michael Campbell a regular down Burgess Hill when hes in England for half the year? my mates seen him down there hitting away.

More to the point, your better off getting a set of decent 'forgiving' clubs off ebay for relatively cheap. if you can get a decent set of irons, driver and possibly a wood/hybrid (VERY good for beginners) for around 200 quid then you are all set. look out for Taylor Made/Cleveland (do amazing Drivers & irons) Titleist/Mizuno/Callaway/Wilson as people always flog off their old stuff, and its normally good quality.

be wary of Slazenger & Newberry stuff, as iv tried a few of them out and they are a bit duff.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
p.s. if your looking for a decent 18 hole course thats not overly expensive and doesnt kill beginners, its definitely worth trying out Mid Sussex, its a flat course with not much water, a lot better than huffing and puffing round Cuckfield (which i bloody hate as a course)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here