Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off topic - Central Heating

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
20 but there are so many other factors to consider. Our thermostat is near the front door, so possibly the draughtiest place in the house. All the radiators have thermostatic valves and the one near the thermostat is set to the lowest setting.
Sounds like there's no point in you having a thermostat at all. If it ever reaches temperature, all the radiators will have already switched off.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sounds like there's no point in you having a thermostat at all. If it ever reaches temperature, all the radiators will have already switched off.

That kind of assumes that all rooms are thermostatically sealed. My ground floor space is largely open plan, so the heat dissipates. Also the radiator nearest to the thermostat, is the first one in line from the pump and heats up first. If this one is set too high the rest of the house won't get warm, as the thermostat will switch off the heating before the hot water has reached all of the other radiators. Like I said lots of factors to consider really.

We have a Tado Smart thermostat, which now works beautifully, the house is only heated when someone comes home and we never have to touch the controls. The only exception was Christmas Day, when I had 15 people and two ovens, with the front door open so my sister's dog could get out into the garden. The answer was to move the thermostat, which just unhooks from the wall and things soon settled down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That kind of assumes that all rooms are thermostatically sealed.
It just sounded like the radiator near the thermostat would switch off before the thermostat switches off.

We have a Tado Smart thermostat, which now works beautifully, the house is only heated when someone comes home and we never have to touch the controls.
I like the sound of that. I have a couple of remote thermostats, and the downstairs one isn't triggering the system (low battery I assume), so I've taken in upstairs, and kind of doing things manually until I come up with a plan.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It just sounded like the radiator near the thermostat would switch off before the thermostat switches off.

Yes I didn't explain things that clearly first time.

I like the sound of that. I have a couple of remote thermostats, and the downstairs one isn't triggering the system (low battery I assume), so I've taken in upstairs, and kind of doing things manually until I come up with a plan.

I got fed up with my bills last year and made four key changes.

Cavity Wall Insulation (We were losing a lot of heat through the South and West facing walls)
Tado Smart Thermostat
Big Community Energy Switch
Bought a Dehumidifier (one room was suffering from condensation)

Having kept my monthly duel fuel direct debits at the same level (£152) we are currently over £600 in credit. This could fall over the next few months, but my total outlay was £750 and the house is always warm.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
20 but there are so many other factors to consider. Our thermostat is near the front door, so possibly the draughtiest place in the house. All the radiators have thermostatic valves and the one near the thermostat is set to the lowest setting.

You're meant to have at least one radiator without a thermostatic valve on. Preferably the one nearest the thermostat.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
We set ours at 19 with no timer to come on whenever it drops below that but when sitting around watching tv turn it up to 21 or we both put our onesie on. Problem solved. £15 on ebay is cheaper than increased heating bills.

As an end of year treat can we please see a picture of you in your onesie.............I'm sure everyone on here would just love to see this.....:thumbsup:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I got fed up with my bills last year and made four key changes.

Cavity Wall Insulation (We were losing a lot of heat through the South and West facing walls)
Tado Smart Thermostat
Big Community Energy Switch
Bought a Dehumidifier (one room was suffering from condensation)

Having kept my monthly duel fuel direct debits at the same level (£152) we are currently over £600 in credit. This could fall over the next few months, but my total outlay was £750 and the house is always warm.

I don't quite understand this credit thing. If you're using less electricity, why are you paying the same bills? That's £600 not earning you any interest for half a year?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We struggle in our flat with maintaining heat. I've resealed and checked all the windows and got draught excluders under the doors that aren't used a lot. But our bedroom is still freezing. Not good with a 5 month baby. I've succumbed and just leave the heating on constant and use the thermostat. I've bought a little stand alone thermometer and even when the heating is set to 25 the bedroom will never get above 16. And as soon as the heating is off the temperature drops really quickly. Think it's partly due to a North facing bedroom exposed to the weather and never getting any sun to help warm it, especially in winter.

I'm just going to check our bills and usage and adjust the DD to compensate over the summer to claw back some credit hopefully.

Doesn't help that it's an ancient system, none of the rads have thermostatic valves and old 3/8" pipe work, so the rads are either on or off, and the thermostat is in the living room.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Think it's partly due to a North facing bedroom exposed to the weather and never getting any sun to help warm it, especially in winter.

We've got one of those. Last year I put a polystyrene underlayer on the external wall, then papered over it www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Polystyrene-Veneer-Lining-Paper-White-10m/p/105968 - you can get them in various thicknesses. The temperature in that one room instantly went up 2 degrees (centigrade) relative to the temperature in the rest of the house.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What is this 'Central Heating' of which you speak? ???

In our house, we all huddle for warmth round a single candle. If it gets REALLY cold, we light it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here