Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OECD PISA test scores.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I did how many 9 mins in 1hr = 6.6666666666666666666666666667 x 4 = 26.6666666…………………
Her journey back was a simple 30 km/h
26.6666……….. +30 = 56.666……… /2=28.33……………

But I can see where I went wrong :lolol:

did you really need a calculator?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Once again, the UK lags behind many, many countries in maths tests results.

Only 55% of 15 year-olds could say which was the smallest number from the following list:

:nono: I honestly despair.

Top of the class? China (Shanghai, as opposed to Hong Kong) with 89%.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/form/

That's the trouble with maths... I mean, there are only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
did you really need a calculator?

Well only looking at the first part of the question, and wanting to know how many 9 mins were in an hour, and with a calculator to hand. Yes.

However being tested in a proper test environment I would have been forced to look at the second part of the question and I would hope I would have connected the 15 min calculation. :shrug:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Fascinating that you should turn your attention to ONE administration.

Maths isn't your strong suit either, as the issues relate to MANY administrations.

Surely the current cohort of 15 year olds spent the vast majority of their education (2002-2013) under a New Labour government (1997-2010), who came to power 5 years before they started school with the mantra "Education, education, education"?

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I did how many 9 mins in 1hr = 6.6666666666666666666666666667 x 4 = 26.6666666…………………
Her journey back was a simple 30 km/h
26.6666……….. +30 = 56.666……… /2=28.33……………

But I can see where I went wrong :lolol:

I was trying to work out what you'd done.

The results are quite surprising. All the questions seemed pretty basic to me. If I'd be in the top 3% of current 15 year olds, why did I only get a B in my maths GCSE?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Once again, the UK lags behind many, many countries in maths tests results.

Only 55% of 15 year-olds could say which was the smallest number from the following list:

:nono: I honestly despair.

Top of the class? China (Shanghai, as opposed to Hong Kong) with 89%.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/form/

But at least we have world class teaching in the UK. :whistle:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm truly sorry about your personal circumstances, but I was referring to the country as a whole:

"The average annual earnings of full-time workers in the UK rose by 1.4% to £26,500 in the year to April 2012." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666

World average wage = $1,480; call it £2,400. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

Thanks for your condolences, but I fear the figures are skewed, job vacancies are increasingly polarised with plenty of jobs offering minimum wage or just above then few mid wage jobs and then its £25k+ from then on. very difficult to get on the ladder these days.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't know why people get so worried about things like this. It's just a result of how the world has developed over the last 1000 or so years.

Of course children in China (and probably India) are going to be better at the basics, many of them are probably faced with a choice of being educated or their whole family starving and living in abject poverty. Give them another 100 years to become more developed and make them house, feed and give medical help to every citizen regardless of literacy or numeracy skills and you'll probably see the results even up a bit.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't know why people get so worried about things like this. It's just a result of how the world has developed over the last 1000 or so years.

Of course children in China (and probably India) are going to be better at the basics, many of them are probably faced with a choice of being educated or their whole family starving and living in abject poverty. Give them another 100 years to become more developed and make them house, feed and give medical help to every citizen regardless of literacy or numeracy skills and you'll probably see the results even up a bit.

Of course, you are right. That Joey Essex chap is doing just fine and he doesn't even know how many beans make five. Cool Britannia :thumbsup:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'd bet the average UK teenager would fare much better in a more creative task than a Chinese student. I've taught Chinese and Vietnamese students and they might be very bright but suffer from a severe imagination/opinion deficit. This is directly caused by the rigorous but rigid education system.

For example, in a Vietnamese Literature course the standard format is to read the book, read what the experts say about the book then regurgitate it verbatim in the exam/coursework. Even the idea of paraphrasing is alien. This causes big problems for Asian students studying abroad as for the first time in their lives they asked to do some analysis themselves and offer a reasoned opinion.

Learning maths (or any subject) by rote may yield impressive exam results but it won't necessarily produce well-rounded individuals.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Say that in 15 years time when some of these charlies are working out your tax. :)

According to Malcolm Gladwell, many eastern cultures are naturally good at basic arithmetic because their counting system is different eg There is no word for eleven - it is 10 and 1. 10 + 10 = 2 lots of ten, rather than twenty etc.

And re your last paragraph, does becoming more developed mean that you then don't have to have a basic understanding of simple arithmetic? How bizarre.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Say that in 15 years time when some of these charlies are working out your tax. :)

According to Malcolm Gladwell, many eastern cultures are naturally good at basic arithmetic because their counting system is different eg There is no word for eleven - it is 10 and 1. 10 + 10 = 2 lots of ten, rather than twenty etc.

And re your last paragraph, does becoming more developed mean that you then don't have to have a basic understand of simple arithmetic? How bizarre.

I'm just glad we aren't using roman numerals.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I was always good at mental arithmetic and that was in the days before decimal currency and the metric system. It is so much easier now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I didn't say that at all!

I simply reported which country came top in these tests. S'all.

For the record - I absolutely would like our scores to be at least as good as theirs; but that is a million miles away from saying I want everything else to be like China.

I think most of us realised what you were saying; you've just been a victim of someone who seems to like talking down to others!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here