Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] odds on the season being played out in full...??

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't Nostradamus predict that a major plague would swarm across Europe in 2020 and stop all games from fully finishing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Based on what?

There is nothing in any data, here or abroad, to suggest anything like this?

Slightly detailing thread and not the point of this but:

I’m getting sick of people saying there will be a second wave as if it’s a certainty.

The scaremongering has already done enough damage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Slightly detailing thread and not the point of this but:

I’m getting sick of people saying there will be a second wave as if it’s a certainty.

The scaremongering has already done enough damage.

To be honest, I've almost completely avoided the COVID sub-forum over the past couple of months. Complete insanity presented as fact in many cases - not saying that's the case here, but a lot of very concerning comments left totally unchallenged sometimes.

Genuinely makes me feel a bit sad. Really hope everyone's doing ok.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not true.

Anyone who comes into the government defined close contact (within 2 metres) for more than 15 minutes will have to isolate as per the track and trace advice. Players are travelling on several coaches to ensure distancing, where changing rooms don't allow they will use more than one training area, they are permitted a team talk together for no more than 15 minutes and they are wearing GPS trackers on the pitch to define who, if any, have fallen into this proximity and time.

I heard some stats on this a couple of days ago (the league have looked at data from prior matches to understand the risk). Essentially there is no chance of it being an issue - may not have the number quite right from memory but the typical time someone spends within 2m of another player during a match 'contact' is something like 2.5 seconds. The 15 minute rule won't come remotely close to being triggered, hence only the player testing positive will need to isolate within the rules the PL have agreed with the Government. Add to that the way players will be managing the risk of infection themselves, plus the very regular testing etc I'd say the chances of the programme being derailed ow are quite slim - it would be more external factors (such as a significant second wave perhaps - which shows no sign of happening at all)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Based on what?

There is nothing in any data, here or abroad, to suggest anything like this?

Nothing but cynicism mate! Our numbers don't look good in comparison to anywhere (bar the US) and a second spike is seemingly on its way if China is the first marker (as it has been for the first wave - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/17/beijing-coronavirus-outbreak-city-raises-emergency-level-and-grounds-hundreds-of-flights). If there is a sharp rise in the infection rate, I personally can't see a point where at least regionally we don't enter a second lockdown, attempting to some extent to control the spread.

This is obviously all personal opinion, not scaremongering, and not really the point of my post. Replying to the OP;

i really doubt it will be completed to be fair , they are bound to feck it up somehow......i'd give 7/4 at best , no faith whatsoever.

that regardless of the severity of what happens in the future, I think the economic implications of this season will mean that once we start there is no chance of it stopping without government intervention (and with the measures in place currently - testing/isolation/heavy duty cleaning - there is no chance of that).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I heard some stats on this a couple of days ago (the league have looked at data from prior matches to understand the risk). Essentially there is no chance of it being an issue - may not have the number quite right from memory but the typical time someone spends within 2m of another player during a match 'contact' is something like 2.5 seconds. The 15 minute rule won't come remotely close to being triggered, hence only the player testing positive will need to isolate within the rules the PL have agreed with the Government. Add to that the way players will be managing the risk of infection themselves, plus the very regular testing etc I'd say the chances of the programme being derailed ow are quite slim - it would be more external factors (such as a significant second wave perhaps - which shows no sign of happening at all)

2.5 seconds can't be remotely correct. When players are waiting for a corner to be delivered, for example, some players will be in close proximity for longer than that, not that I'm suggesting it would be anything like 15 minutes.

I would have thought the biggest risk to a squad being hit at scale with infection would be travel to away fixtures if conducted by coach in any way. If any player was infected and shedding virus ahead of being tested, the limited circulation of air could cause other infections amongst the squad.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
2.5 seconds can't be remotely correct. When players are waiting for a corner to be delivered, for example, some players will be in close proximity for longer than that, not that I'm suggesting it would be anything like 15 minutes.

I would have thought the biggest risk to a squad being hit at scale with infection would be travel to away fixtures if conducted by coach in any way. If any player was infected and shedding virus ahead of being tested, the limited circulation of air could cause other infections amongst the squad.

aren't they supposed to be driving individually to the games .........they are putting them all on coaches now....:wozza:..? it's screwed already then innit.

ffs....couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The intention is clearly to finish the season, else we wouldn't be bombarded with all these daft promotions for cardboard cut-outs and pig-outs on Harveys and sausage rolls

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not sure - only repeating what (I think) I heard (I'll try to find a link) - need to think about it as an average though, not set-pieces in isolation. Wouldn't always be the same players in close proximity at a set piece either.

Edit - not quite what I heard - but average 39 seconds (one player within 2m of another) PER GAME according to studies

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ague-analysis-close-contact-matches-suggests/

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
And that's the big one.

Should the PL manage to complete all fixtures but the Championship not, then there's going to be a HUGE can of worms opened.

Relegation / promotion when a season hasn't been completed will end up in court. Likewise, the COE will kick off if they don't get promoted should they finish top two with a few games not played.

It will get very messy that's for sure.

I still can't see how logically you can relegate / promote any team that hasn't completed all it's fixtures. Legally, I have no idea.........

Already started in Scotland

Hearts have started legal action against the Scottish Professional Football League after the collapse of reconstruction talks sealed their relegation from the top flight.

The club will pursue several million pounds worth of damages from the SPFL, a matter amplified by the 2020-21 Championship being reduced to a 27-game season. Legal challenges to the abandonment of league seasons in France and Belgium have also strengthened Hearts’ resolve.

Hearts were four points adrift with eight fixtures to play when coronavirus halted the season. A subsequent, highly controversial SPFL vote allowed its board to determine placings as final. After that transpired, expanding the Premiership from 12 to 14 teams was widely discussed but never thought likely to receive the necessary level of support. That route was formally shut down by the SPFL on Monday, with Hearts, having had QC’s working quietly on their case for a number of weeks and due to submit papers to Edinburgh’s court of session within the next 48 hours, wasting no time in confirming their next step.
“Now that all other avenues are closed, we are left with no choice but to proceed with a legal challenge,” Hearts said in a statement. “The club has tried throughout these last few months to avoid this course of action but we must now do the right thing by our supporters, our employees, our players and our sponsors, all of whom have been unwavering in their commitment and support. We can hold our heads up high as we have acted at all times with integrity, common sense and with the best interests of Scottish football at heart.

“While many weeks have been wasted in trying to find a solution, we must now formally challenge this outcome. The club can confirm that the necessary steps have been taken to begin this legal challenge. Given that this is now an active legal matter, the club will be offering no further comment at this time.

The voting farce questions the SPFL must answer – but hasn't
Read more
“To our amazing fans we say that we cannot, and will not, sit idly by and watch the decisions made in the past few months further damage Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Thank you for fighting for us, now allow us to do the same for you.”

Partick, removed from the Championship on a points-per-game basis despite being two adrift of Queen of the South while holding a game in hand, conceded cost prohibits them from following Hearts’ lead.

Still, the Glasgow club were scathing about the circumstances of their situation. “As a member of the SPFL, we feel badly let down especially by its board and chairman,” said Partick.

“In allowing harm to be done to some members, as they have done, can the SPFL really still be regarded as a membership organisation that works in the best interests of all its members, one that genuinely acts on behalf of the membership as a whole? In all of its actions of recent months, the SPFL has shown it is not fit for purpose.”

Hearts said they were “disappointed, yet sadly not surprised” league reorganisation had failed. “We thank those who were open‑minded, pragmatic and willing to come together to try and reach a fair outcome for all. Sadly, there were too few of us.”

The on-field byproduct is the likely and imminent departure of Daniel Stendel as head coach. John Robertson, the club’s record goalscorer, and Neil McCann will be the leading candidates to replace the German.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
aren't they supposed to be driving individually to the games .........they are putting them all on coaches now....:wozza:..? it's screwed already then innit.

ffs....couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery .

I think the League advice was for players to travel individually, or if as a group they recommended plane travel (presumably private charter) rather than coach.

I don't think 15 mins is relevant. All the measures for the public like track and trace are replaced by the testing regime and all the other measures in place for the players. I don't think there are any plans to isolate any players unless they themselves test positive. I might be wrong.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Hearts have started legal action against the Scottish Professional Football League after the collapse of reconstruction talks sealed their relegation from the top flight.

The club will pursue several million pounds worth of damages from the SPFL, a matter amplified by the 2020-21 Championship being reduced to a 27-game season. Legal challenges to the abandonment of league seasons in France and Belgium have also strengthened Hearts’ resolve.

Hearts were four points adrift with eight fixtures to play when coronavirus halted the season. A subsequent, highly controversial SPFL vote allowed its board to determine placings as final. After that transpired, expanding the Premiership from 12 to 14 teams was widely discussed but never thought likely to receive the necessary level of support. That route was formally shut down by the SPFL on Monday, with Hearts, having had QC’s working quietly on their case for a number of weeks and due to submit papers to Edinburgh’s court of session within the next 48 hours, wasting no time in confirming their next step.
“Now that all other avenues are closed, we are left with no choice but to proceed with a legal challenge,” Hearts said in a statement. “The club has tried throughout these last few months to avoid this course of action but we must now do the right thing by our supporters, our employees, our players and our sponsors, all of whom have been unwavering in their commitment and support. We can hold our heads up high as we have acted at all times with integrity, common sense and with the best interests of Scottish football at heart.

“While many weeks have been wasted in trying to find a solution, we must now formally challenge this outcome. The club can confirm that the necessary steps have been taken to begin this legal challenge. Given that this is now an active legal matter, the club will be offering no further comment at this time.

Read more
“To our amazing fans we say that we cannot, and will not, sit idly by and watch the decisions made in the past few months further damage Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Thank you for fighting for us, now allow us to do the same for you.”

Partick, removed from the Championship on a points-per-game basis despite being two adrift of Queen of the South while holding a game in hand, conceded cost prohibits them from following Hearts’ lead.

Still, the Glasgow club were scathing about the circumstances of their situation. “As a member of the SPFL, we feel badly let down especially by its board and chairman,” said Partick.

“In allowing harm to be done to some members, as they have done, can the SPFL really still be regarded as a membership organisation that works in the best interests of all its members, one that genuinely acts on behalf of the membership as a whole? In all of its actions of recent months, the SPFL has shown it is not fit for purpose.”

Hearts said they were “disappointed, yet sadly not surprised” league reorganisation had failed. “We thank those who were open‑minded, pragmatic and willing to come together to try and reach a fair outcome for all. Sadly, there were too few of us.”

The on-field byproduct is the likely and imminent departure of Daniel Stendel as head coach. John Robertson, the club’s record goalscorer, and Neil McCann will be the leading candidates to replace the German.

and why wouldn't you ....it's a shitstorm waiting to happen and the more i think about it , it's a great diversion for the next few weeks while the dumbfuk government goes about its inept, jumbling, bullshittery .....i can just see the twatts pulling the pin with 3 games left just to distract the plebs from the fact that they are a clueless shower of offal.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Read more

Interesting, and will be amplified tenfold with the money that the PL and the clubs affected could chuck at each other in solicitors fees (should it come to that).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
and why wouldn't you ....it's a shitstorm waiting to happen and the more i think about it , it's a great diversion for the next few weeks while the dumbfuk government goes about its inept, jumbling, bullshittery .....i can just see the twatts pulling the pin with 3 games left just to distract the plebs from the fact that they are a clueless shower of offal.

Didn’t take long for politics to enter a football debate once again

As regards to your comment on another post that it’s ‘’screwed” perhaps wait an see before entering judgement..oh hang on I forgot ..what we’re those odds you were offering

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The season will be finished. Cannot see any reason why not.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Didn’t take long for politics to enter a football debate once again

As regards to your comment on another post that it’s ‘’screwed” perhaps wait an see before entering judgement..oh hang on I forgot ..what we’re those odds you were offering

7/4 but just to make it real if the season does complete i will put a 100 quid into the REMF if you will match it with 100 if it doesn't...ya ya...?:bigwave::rock:

and no more politics ...:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here