Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odds now up at Victor Chandler (14:15 5/11/09: Copp 4/6; Wise 7/1; Poy 7/1; Cott 8/1)

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Has anyone considered the fact we (the club) could make a packet from this?

Bloom should identify a half decent manager at odds and put a small fortune on him.

Then sign him up and collect millions for our new managers transfer kitty.

I would be suprised if you could get more than £5k on anyone.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
To be fair on a market like this the odds will change with even the smallest amount of money being changed hands.

Exactly, when people say that the bookies are looking on here for their odds they are probably right to some extent. All it takes is a few of us, the most likely people to bet on this, to pick Coppell and Curbishley and their odds will shorten. Odds are generally generated by mathematical formulas once people start betting, the bookies are covering themselves against losses. There is very little to be read in to the likeliness of a particular outcome from shortening odds, certainly until someone becomes odds on.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I would be surprised if you could get more than £100 on anyone.

The Bookies do these markets for fun bets - any decent wager is scaled back dramatically

Your probably right.....but i seem to remember the Argus reporting someone staked £2500 on Gannon getting the job last time.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Dean Ashworth 20/1
Jimmy Calderwood 20/1
Paul Buckle 22/1
Paul Brown 33/1

who?

They mean Dean Holdsworth - currently managing Newport. Buckle is the Torquay player-manager, Calderwood was sacked from Aberdeen in May, and Paul Brown was the very gay drama teacher at Durrington High.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sheringham is a bit out of left field (4th fav)??

I assume he has done his badges etc and is looking to get into management??

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Your probably right.....but i seem to remember the Argus reporting someone staked £2500 on Gannon getting the job last time.

As someone who regularly participates in these markets (not Albion related ones of course!) I would take these stories with a pinch of salt.

The only punter likely to get this size bet on would be someone who the bookies have noted as a complete mug punter,

The bigger Bookmakers are accountants not risk-takers and they build up a profile of their customers and react accordingly. Anyone who has a winning account can quickly find themselves very restricted.

Back in the day when I used to do a lot of horse racing wagering, I would regularly get limited to as little as £25 on 12/1 or 14/1 shots by the biggest bookmakers (e.g. Ladbrokes) if I was taking the first show when they released the early prices. They would then let me have more on 30 minutes or so later, by which time they had usually revised the odds, but they were not prepared to take any early risks.

To circumnavigate this I had to end up going into the shops, where typically you can have £100 or £200 cash on a horse before the shop manager needs to seek authorisation from Head Office.

The last bet I had on a "next manager" market - curiously enough with VC - I wanted to place £100 on someone who was priced at 11/2. I was restricted to £36 ... which was to ensure that I would win no more than £200 .... i.e. VC were only laying bets that had a maximum win of £200. (The same also applied on a separate occasion where I was limited to £50 @ 4/1 ... again the £200 max payout was applied)

This is commonplace in "novelty" markets. you allow people their fun bets but deny anything that may dent you ... this is because of the obvious amount of insider knowledge that exists in these type of markets.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How the hell could Coppell have been 4/1 when the Times Online were reporting that he had been sounded out, it's plain there's an element of "unfinished business" at this club AND he's not one for saying "never say never", having been at Palace 4 times already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
6/4 - bet £4 to win £6.
6/1 - bet £1 to win £6.

Based on that, a 6/4 shot is deemed, by the bookie at least, of being the more probable outcome.

Thus, Steve Coppell is currently being touted as the most probable next manager of the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here