Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odd refereeing

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Furry muff.

Stupid rule though. Where's the harm in improvising ?

It's just part of the back pass legislation, which was brought in to prevent teams pissing about wasting time at the end of games by giving it back to their keeper continually. I think it's been a great rule- if you watch matches from the late 1980s, it was ruining the game (easy to forget with the passage of time just how frustrating it was- keeper gets ball, rolls to defender, defender passes back. Keeper picks up, rolls to another defender, passes back, picks it up.

The rule about "trickery" (I can't say I've heard it called that before but there you go) was added on because teams were trying to do exactly what that PSG player did, and circumvent the rules in order to waste time. What constitutes "trickery" would be down to the discretion of the individual referee, as in fact is the decision as to whether a ball back to the keeper was a deliberate back pass or not.

Entirely the French player's fault for not knowing the rules. Funny to watch, but 100% correct, technically speaking.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
OK. Dunk pings a cross-field 40 yard pass to Duffy, but over-hits it so Duffy jumps up and heads it back to Stockdale. How would that be? Difficult one, really - I suppose if it was repeated several times, then the ref could have reason to believe it was intentional, not just an accidentally over-hit pass.

That is allowed.

One player could be playing keepy uppy, then lob it to another player who heads back to the keeper. That is OK too.
Source is Dermot Gallagher on Talksport this evening.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Many players take advantage of the new off-side rule by purposely standing in an offside position, which forces the oppositions defence to push up. Often, an attacking midfielder will make a run from deep and end up clean through, all thanks to that player who stood purposely offside.

This 'trickery' rule should apply to all rules, not just the back pass.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Many players take advantage of the new off-side rule by purposely standing in an offside position, which forces the oppositions defence to push up. Often, an attacking midfielder will make a run from deep and end up clean through, all thanks to that player who stood purposely offside.

This 'trickery' rule should apply to all rules, not just the back pass.
I don't actually agree with that. For a start, I don't think defenders are "forced" to push up by a player standing offside any more than they were before the new offside law.

But anyway, I think FIFA have seen a flaw in the law but tried to fix it in a silly way. I think most people would prefer that you're either offside or you're not. The "not interfering with play" bit is far too subjective, and should be replaced with "on the ground, clearly injured".

My main beef with the offside law has always been it's inconsistent application. As far as I'm concerned, it should always be in the attacker's favour. Too often, players are wrongly flagged offside. I'd rather see that *never* happen at the expense of seeing a few more attackers incorrectly waved ONside.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I don't actually agree with that. For a start, I don't think defenders are "forced" to push up by a player standing offside any more than they were before the new offside law.

But anyway, I think FIFA have seen a flaw in the law but tried to fix it in a silly way. I think most people would prefer that you're either offside or you're not. The "not interfering with play" bit is far too subjective, and should be replaced with "on the ground, clearly injured".

My main beef with the offside law has always been it's inconsistent application. As far as I'm concerned, it should always be in the attacker's favour. Too often, players are wrongly flagged offside. I'd rather see that *never* happen at the expense of seeing a few more attackers incorrectly waved ONside.
"Not interfering with play" has always been part of the laws, what Fifa have done is try to define what this actually means. If you remember the offside traps of the 70s and 80s, they made football very tedious - this was the result of the idea that anyone in an offside position is offside whether interfering or not.

As to the idea that too many players are being wrongly flagged offside - not sure where this comes from. If you watch MOTD, where there are enough cameras to decide whether the offside decision is correct or not, there are many more instances of goals that are very marginally offside being allowed than goals being disallowed for incorrectly given offside. And if you want things to be in the attacker's favour then diluting the idea of "interfering with play" is the very worst thing to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here