Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odd Fighting Talk Albion reference

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
by Canadian Greg Brady

was bigging up Casper for 'Brighton and Hove Albion' and then went on to plead ignorance to the fact Bridge plays for little old us. Hope he's sitting down when he finds our attendance figures.

Get the podcast

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
by Canadian Greg Brady

was bigging up Casper for 'Brighton and Hove Albion' and then went on to plead ignorance to the fact Bridge plays for little old us. Hope he's sitting down when he finds our attendance figures.

Get the podcast

What time on the podcast? :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I heard that. The bloke is clueless. Had obviously just picked out our goalie from a teamsheet with no knowledge of who he is or who we are. Truly cringeworthy performance.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A lot of things puzzle me about the BBC's scheduling and programme making, but nothing baffles me more than Fighting Talk. How it survived beyond its first series is a real mystery.

It just seems to me to be one crashing in-joke, devoid of humour, and meaningless to everyone who isn't actually playing the game. Don't get it at all.

Dec 29, 2011
I heard that. The bloke is clueless. Had obviously just picked out our goalie from a teamsheet with no knowledge of who he is or who we are. Truly cringeworthy performance.
Could you put it a little more in perspective, i.e. what was the question? The quote makes no sense at the moment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of things puzzle me about the BBC's scheduling and programme making, but nothing baffles me more than Fighting Talk. How it survived beyond its first series is a real mystery.

It just seems to me to be one crashing in-joke, devoid of humour, and meaningless to everyone who isn't actually playing the game. Don't get it at all.

I'm not a regular listener, but isn't it based on a show on ESPN in the States? I managed to catch that a few times, when they had (to me) random dudes banging on about baseball, American Football and Ice Hockey (again, mostly alien to me). I didn't really get the purpose of it, or how they scored points, depending on what they said. And the strange sound effects just add to the oddness. Given the OP's observations, the quality clearly hasn't not got any better since 5Live have picked it up...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Have a feeling (was only half listening as it's not great) question was along the lines of who was your player of the FA cup 3rd round.

Think he had no idea Newcastle had 3rd string out, no idea we are any good, and just thought oh that's an upset and they kept a clean sheet so pick out their keeper. Probably thought they had Ba still :facepalm: Made some point about Casper being 'Denmark's number 3' which baffled me too. Has he been that in the last 6-7 years? Always thought Greg Brady was just a wikipedia warrior but maybe that's some in 'joke'?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The question was, 'Who was your Cup Man of the week?'

Brady then rambled on inanely for a minute and finished with ''Keep an eye on this young kid and his name is Caspar''. He's also apparently the 'Danish No.3'.

Good grief.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not a regular listener, but isn't it based on a show on ESPN in the States? I managed to catch that a few times, when they had (to me) random dudes banging on about baseball, American Football and Ice Hockey (again, mostly alien to me). I didn't really get the purpose of it, or how they scored points, depending on what they said. And the strange sound effects just add to the oddness. Given the OP's observations, the quality clearly hasn't not got any better since 5Live have picked it up...

The ESPN show is called "Around The Horn". The host is in a studio, in front of him is four screens each with a top sports reporter from one of the US provincial papers, i.e. Boston Globe, New York Times etc. The host makes an observation on a topical sporting news items and each reporter gets a chance to comment. The host awards or subtracts marks for good/bad points. At the end of a first round one of the reporters is eliminated, the the same after round two leaving two in a shoot-out best of three quick-fire round.

It's a good show but focuses on baseball, gridiron, basketball and ice hockey. Any other sports and even those guys are out of their comfort zone. It's a very good show but it's success is partly because of good timekeeping. It also works much better on the tv than the radio, where it gets a bit frantic.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ah, thanks for the explanation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wow. talk about us taking it to heart.

Most of the 'joke' of having him on is that he doesn't know our game and can't pronounce half the teams properly. I remember one episode where he spent minutes trying to pronounce West Bromwich Albion. He openly said in the same podcast that every question is designed to trip him up due to his lack of knowledge.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Most of the 'joke' of having him on is that he doesn't know our game and can't pronounce half the teams properly. I remember one episode where he spent minutes trying to pronounce West Bromwich Albion. He openly said in the same podcast that every question is designed to trip him up due to his lack of knowledge.

Quite. I like Greg Brady on the show, I look forward to listening to this on the way home this evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah I like Brady too, I was more surprised John Rawling didn't pick up on it, what with him having ties in Yorkshire.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Thank god it's not just me.

Appalling programme

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I can't listen to Fighting Talk because of the way they keeping dinging that f***ing bell.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

Exactly. Also it's like 4 in the morning for him when the show is on. Considering he's not based here his knowledge is pretty decent as well. Unlike when they had the Man V Food host on the other week. Now that was embarrassing.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium

This is true and the best of his is Yakubu, he says Yak a boo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here