'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
And now for something completely different...........”Midnight Diner”, Netflix - half hour episodes of clever, thoughtful TV.
Don’t be put off because it’s Japanese - you’ll love it.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
“Now onto The Investigation on BBC

I’m watching this, but I find it pretty slow and lacking drama and real entertainment value. So far got to episode 3. Still, I stick with it since it is a true story and I might learn something. NB . I know I am hard to please.

Stick with it. I know it may seem to lack drama and entertainment, but the series is not so much about the gruesome murder as such, but more about the investigation and the terrible effect it has on the detectives and the victims parents.
No killing, no gunfights, no car chases. Just great storytelling and superb acting. Loved it!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The booth at the end.

This is from 2011 when I watched it and I cannot find the 1st series on Netflix, prime, kodi but the 2nd series is on prime. You do not need to watch the first to watch the second one.
The story is about a man that sits in the booth at the end of the diner and he can grant you any wish you want but you have to complete some challenges first. Some challenges are easy some are horrific. Well worth a watch and thought provoking.

If you do watch, note that the 2nd series on prime seems to me to be in the wrong order, episodes 3-5 should be watched first. This is confirmed to me by watching watching what looks like a 2020 film version also on prime. This is in the correct order, I suggest you watch the film rather than the series.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Some time ago on here someone started a thread on the US Office series but I can't find it right now. Anyway it made me watch it, and after a slow start it is bloody brilliant. Six series in and I still can't get enough of it. I thoroughly recommend it. But give it three episodes as it is a bit slow to wake up.

ps) yes I know it is not obscure, but I just had this post this somewhere.

I've just started chaining my way through The Office US as well. For some reason I'd always thought I wouldn't like it, but its INCREDIBLE. I'm hooked.

I've done the first episode of Zerozerozero on Sky Atlantic (Not Netflix, I know) which is from the guy who did Gomorrah, and it was pretty good. Going to try and do the rest this week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
“Now onto The Investigation on BBC

I’m watching this, but I find it pretty slow and lacking drama and real entertainment value. So far got to episode 3. Still, I stick with it since it is a true story and I might learn something. NB . I know I am hard to please.

I finished The Investigation earlier this week.

I really liked it. The main actor Soren Malling was great (yet again. He crops in every Danish drama ... a small pool of actors :lolol:). They made this in a unique way where you never get to see the murderer or a court case. Concentrating instead on the good guys and the passion of the police team to beat someone who thought he’d planned the perfect crime.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I've just started chaining my way through The Office US as well. For some reason I'd always thought I wouldn't like it, but its INCREDIBLE. I'm hooked.

I've done the first episode of Zerozerozero on Sky Atlantic (Not Netflix, I know) which is from the guy who did Gomorrah, and it was pretty good. Going to try and do the rest this week.

ZeroZeroZero. Only 2 episodes in but yes, very very good so far.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
ZeroZeroZero. Only 2 episodes in but yes, very very good so far.

Have you chaps finished it? If so thoughts?

Personally I thought it was watchable but no more than that and it was saved by the ending.

Very clever idea and interesting for most of the series how it was 3 completely different stories about the same subject. It's all knitted together very well at the end but found myself getting bored halfway through, almost like it was 2 or 3 episodes too long but even then there were a few plot holes.

That said it's all setup for a second season and assuming there is one I'd watch it I think.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Have you chaps finished it? If so thoughts?

Personally I thought it was watchable but no more than that and it was saved by the ending.

Very clever idea and interesting for most of the series how it was 3 completely different stories about the same subject. It's all knitted together very well at the end but found myself getting bored halfway through, almost like it was 2 or 3 episodes too long but even then there were a few plot holes.

That said it's all setup for a second season and assuming there is one I'd watch it I think.

I really enjoyed it. Found the middle 'homeland' section a bit far fetched, but its filmed beautifully and kept me gripped. I wasn't so sure that its been set up for a second series (I won't go into why on here as I don't want to spoil it for anyone) but I wouldn't say no if they do make one.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't miss Man In Room 301 (Huone 301) on the Beeb next week.

It's very good, a a psychological thriller that weaves between the past and present to tell the story of the Kurtti family, whose lives irrevocably hanged when two-year-old Tommi was killed by a gunshot. Whilst on their family holiday in Greece 12 years later, they come across a man that looks just like the boy’s alleged killer.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Mare Of Easttown with Kate Winslett and Guy Pearce appears in April.

The seven-episode series is “an exploration into the dark side of a close community and an authentic examination of how family and past tragedies can define our present.”

Should be good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just completed season one of Goliath on Amazon Prime, with the fantastic Billy Bob Thornton. Set in California, he plays a lawyer who’d thrown away a stellar career, now making a comeback tackling corruption by powerful interests.

It’s really good.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Homelands is back for one final season, not sure how they can continue after the ending of the last season.

Domestic terrorism fanned by right wing media that was on the fringe of American society was a central part of the earlier episodes which they moved away from. As it’s now developed into a mainstream movement under Trump I imagine they want to develop it further.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
That looks good!

Just read comes out 2nd March on Sky but already been shown in the US. Any of our US based members seen it?

I finished the last episode last night. Really good watch and unusually for an American remake, it apparently stays pretty close to the Israeli original.

Its well worth a watch and avoids the trap of introducing side stories to pad it out to a longer series. It lags for a couple episodes but the ending is well worth a couple of slightly lesser episodes. The portrayal of the Judge who is just trying to do right by his son and is basically overtaken by events is brilliantly done

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports